Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Good flying sites in LA and Pasadena

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Good flying sites in LA and Pasadena

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 09:09 PM
fheppenheimer
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good flying sites in LA and Pasadena

Can you identify a few great clubs in Los Angeles and/or Pasadena, especially for Giant Scale and/or Jet and/or Soaring? My son recently moved out to the Silver Lake section of LA and works in Pasadena. He's just a spectator for now. Thanks much.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:10 PM
redfox435cat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Good flying sites in LA and Pasadena

Sepulveda basin at the 405 and 101 is one of the best sites around. there are 3 clubs there, it a free public site so you'll get everything, there are giant scale jets CL and lots of newbies. As for souring, there are a few but not familiar with them
[link=http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=34.173678,-118.480768&spn=0.039482,0.0739&z=14]The basin[/link]
Old 05-14-2009, 11:47 PM
larrysogla

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alert!!! Alert!!! There will be a Jet Rally at the Los Angeles City Sepulveda Dam Basin Apollo Model Field this May 23-24, 2009(Sat.-Sunday, morning-afternoon). I have been to 2 Jet Rally's last year(at Sepulveda Dam Basin and at Coachella Valley) and they were really worth the time and the trip. The jets are very realistic....sight and sound......and the flying skills are superb. Of course there were crashes at the Sepulveda Dam Basin when I was there due to newbie pilots lacking in landing skills and pilots showboating in a high speed pass 1 foot above the runway and hitting and mowing the tall grass at the end of the runway and crashing and wrecking. To me this is a very dangerous stunt as the pilots attention is diverted towards his incoming aircraft and any person retrieving his aircraft on the runway is in danger of being hit by a high speed jet hugging the ground on a very low-hi speed pass. Too dangerous. There should be a 10 foot limit on low altitude hi speed pass over the runway. Jet Rally's are a thrill a minute.
'Nuff said.
larry
Old 05-15-2009, 10:49 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The Basin is the only really close place in your area. If you fly there and meet people you may find some smaller clubs with there own fields. I was flying at the Basin in 1960 and it was a little crazy even back then. Last time I was there for a fly in it was a total zoo but considering it's in the valley with a high population it isn't too bad. There are some pretty good clubs and fields south of you, way south of you, about an hour and a half to two hours depending on trafic. Hemit is one of the good clubs. You can pull up the AMA field/club finder and see if there are any closer for you.