Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

I inherited these planes, what to do now?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

I inherited these planes, what to do now?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 04:12 PM
superprohero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I inherited these planes, what to do now?

Irecently inheriteda Byron Originals Pitts Special with the original box. When I dug the box out and opened it there were 2 more kits inside!!
I'd love to finish them but I'm about to make a long distance move and the cash would help. I have no idea what to ask for them and would appreciate any advice.
I'll post each seperately below.
The first one as metioned is a Byron Originals 1/3 Scale Pitts Special. It looks mostly finished and is covered with fiberglass. No engine, radio or electonics. It does have the original plans and instruction booklet But there is no engine cowling.

Old 05-16-2009, 04:14 PM
superprohero

Default RE: I inherited these planes, what to do now?

Next is a Grumman F8F Bearcat Kit. It looks unstarted. The wings in one pic go to the Sig Doubler II. The kit looks complete and has a Royal detailed cockpit interior kit inside and a fuel cell is included. Also there are full size plans. The box states: Engine size .60-.80 Wing Span- 62 3/16" Wing Area 652 Sq. In. Length 48 3/16" Scale 1 3/4"= 1'

Old 05-16-2009, 04:16 PM
superprohero

Next is a Sig Doubler II kit. It says 1/4 midget racer & Sport Kit#RC-40

The wings have been started and look good. hardware kit, canopy, landing gear etc are included. All the parts are die cut and printed. Original plans and building instruction booklet included.

Box states: Engine size .15, Wing Span 36", Wing Area 315 Sq. In.

Old 05-16-2009, 04:23 PM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe someone here will give you advice for a price and you can sell them here on RCU classifieds. You could also put them on that unnamced popular auction site and see what they sell for. Either way, you will need to know ahead of time how much it will cost to ship. If you don't include a shipping cost in your ad, that will be the first question someone will e-mail and ask. So go ahead and find out shipping cost before placing you ad.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:59 PM
firstplaceaviator
My Feedback: (27)

Unfortunately, since the Royal Bearcat and the Pitts have been partially built, they will not bring top dollar. The Canopy is cracked on the Pitts too. Having sold hundreds of kits and planes here, on eBay, and a few other sites, I would guess that the pitts is worth about $100.00-$150.00. The only cost effective way to ship such a large plane, is to "go Greyhound". Greyhound Shipping can ship that plane for less than $80.00 anywhere in the country. THe buyer will have to pick it up at a Greyhound station that accepts packages. Package it like you expect it to take a 20 Ft. fall! That's the only way to make sure it arrives in one tact! Expect to spend another $40.00 on bubble wrap, a large enough box (I use 2 wardrobe boxes combined into 1 box) and foam peanuts.

The Bearcat might only be worth $50.00, but could surprise you and fetch more. You will get top dollar on eBay for this kit.

If the Doubler II is complete and in new condition you could expect $50.00 to $110.00 for it depending on who's bidding. If it has been started, it's prabably worth $25.00 to someone.

Good luck!
Doug
Old 05-16-2009, 10:28 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: superprohero

I recently inherited a Byron Originals Pitts Special with the original box. When I dug the box out and opened it there were 2 more kits inside!!
I'd love to finish them but I'm about to make a long distance move and the cash would help. I have no idea what to ask for them and would appreciate any advice.
I'll post each seperately below.
The first one as metioned is a Byron Originals 1/3 Scale Pitts Special. It looks mostly finished and is covered with fiberglass. No engine, radio or electonics. It does have the original plans and instruction booklet But there is no engine cowling.
Build them!!!

I know it's a pain in the butt to deal with them right now when you have a big move coming up. But you'll be kicking yourself in the butt for the rest of your life if you sell them.

At best you'll fetch $200......$400 for them all.

Finish that Pitts and put a decent gas engine on it......... you will have a blast flying it and could sell it for a decent price.

Same with the other planes. Kits are rare nowadays. OLD and DISCONTINUED kits are next to impossible to locate. You "inheirited" them, I'm assuming free of charge. You're sitting on a gold mine there!! Hold onto them and build them!!! Fly them!!!

I wish I had that Pitts. A1/3 scale Pitts is just about the perfect size for a nice biplane. It breaks down and fits in the truck. It's big enough for a gas engine. They fly and present well in the air. Whats not to like? Wish I wasn't laid off right now, I'd buy that sucker right now if you REALLYdon't want it.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:53 AM
superprohero

I am kinda partial to the Pitts. Haven't flown R/C in forever which is hard to imagine so I'd have to re-learn to fly.
Old 05-17-2009, 01:31 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It's just like ridin' a bike. Grab a Four Star 60 ARF and get your thumbs tuned up again while you are finishing the Pitts!!!

I took 2yrs off one time. It comes back pretty quick.
Old 05-17-2009, 03:56 PM
superprohero

OK, so now that I've done some research am I correct to assume these kit planes from any company are simply gone? Everything is built from scratch by plans? or comes in an ARF or RTF?

So you have to dig deep to find any of these planes now in kit form?

I noticed Byron is only selling fuel and spa steps Waaaaaaaa the he,,,,ck?????Spa steps??

Old 05-18-2009, 06:01 AM
firstplaceaviator
My Feedback: (27)

OK, so now that I've done some research am I correct to assume these kit planes from any company are simply gone?
Yes, the kits that you have are all out of production.

So you have to dig deep to find any of these planes now in kit form?
There are several kit manufacturers left. But choices are much more limited today than they were 20 years ago.

I noticed Byron is only selling fuel and spa steps Waaaaaaaa the he,,,,ck?????Spa steps??
Byron is a subsidiary of Midwest Industries. They sold the Byron line to Iron Bay years ago. Iron Bay (Pig Latin for Byron) manufactures unmanned aerial vehicles. They barely support the Byron kits, and only sell leftovers from when they bought the business. It's a shame.
Doug

Old 05-18-2009, 09:09 AM
bassfisher
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll end your problem for you,  just send them to me.  They will join a large flock of others like them and I'll provide a good home!