Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Ambroid glue question

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Ambroid glue question

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2003, 09:23 PM
LynnR
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ambroid glue question

Closing up the balsa sheeting of a wing wing on a top flite corsair. Using Ambroid glue. directions on tube sez apply to surface, allow to partially dry and apply again. How much is partially dry? or can I just apply glue and assemble? How long does it take to set up/ cure? Suggestions? Tips? Hints? Thank you! LynnR
Old 06-19-2003, 10:25 PM
RCPAUL
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is called double gluing. Use with all Ambroid type glues and with any glue on end grain. Just let it set until it feels dry and then reglue.

RCPAUL
Old 06-20-2003, 02:00 AM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The first layer of glue soaks quite a bit into the wood, not leaving much left on the surface, also seals the pores. Second layer does the job for a good glue joint.
Old 06-20-2003, 03:03 AM
dickj
My Feedback: (1)

Default ambroid glue

Is ambroid glue as strong as CA? I am really curious as I am allergic to CA and sensitized to it. Any one out there with an opinion. Recognize that CA is easier and faster.
Old 06-20-2003, 03:22 AM
big max 1935
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say that Ambroid in certain areas is as strong as ca , it don't seem as brittle . works best when double glued. In high stress areas white glue or the slow epoxies are best. I think that the new laser cutting with the close joints would be great for Ambroid. MAX H.
Old 06-20-2003, 09:16 AM
RobStagis

Helpful hint: It ain't fuelproof!!! For whatever reason, I built a Quickee 500 with Ambroid. Don't ask me why. On its maiden trip to the field, I filled it with fuel...and filled it and filled it and filled it. The tank's vent line had popped off. I filled the fuse with fuel.

Crap, says I!!! Oh, well..... shake the plane dry and go fly. A week later, I noticed the fuse (it was a simple balsa box) starting to separate in the corners. Wrapped it with electrical tape and flew for the day.

It lasted a month before every joint let go................
Old 06-20-2003, 12:10 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not quite as strong as CA but was the glue of choice before CA came along. Used to buy it by the quart and used a glue gun made by Austin just for Ambroid. Like a hypodermic with a fat needle. Some of you guys remember them.
Old 06-20-2003, 02:34 PM
big max 1935
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rob : the glue is fuel proof your wood wasn't. Under those conditions nothing would have held . A good reason to coat the inside of your plane with epoxy or a fuel proofer. Don't feel too bad as many of us have been there & done that. Have heard that CA isn't fuel proof. MAX H.