Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Fiberglass Techniques

Old 06-19-2003, 10:31 AM
jimstro
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Fiberglass Techniques

Hey guys, I need information on how to cover balsa with fiberglass cloth the right way. Like how large an area can you cover before the resin sets up. Are there any web sites or books that deal with this subject? I'll be grateful for any information.
Thanks,

jimstro
Old 06-20-2003, 11:41 PM
Azcat59

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Without writing a book on the subject, if you want to do it the easy way, get some light cloth (.6 oz. or so) and some nitrate dope. Couple of coats of dope on the raw wood. Light sanding. Then lay the cloth out on the surface (wing panel, for instance) and cut around the edges, leaving an inch or so of extra cloth, so you don't have the whole roll shifting around. Now dope a strip from the leading edge to the trailing edge at the root. The dope will go right through the cloth and stick like a wet T shirt does. Now start doping towards the tip. The brush will push the wrinkles, if any, out ahead of it.

When dry, use a piece of sandpaper to trim off the excess cloth around the perimeter.

Give it a light sanding, then apply another coat of dope. Let it dry at least a few hours between coats, sanding each time until you have put on several coats and are starting to see a little sheen.

Now you are ready for primer.

I would start with the stab or elevators first....something small, to get the feel of it. It is actually easy.

You can also use clear epoxy paint (if you can still get it) or laminating resin, but the dope is probably the easiest and will give a strong but light finish.

Be sure, after the last coat of dope, to wait 72 hours for the dope to chemically cure before putting any other paint on top of it.

There ya have it.....

Clair
Old 06-21-2003, 12:44 AM
jimstro
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback