Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Tiger II Flying Problem or Building Problem

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Tiger II Flying Problem or Building Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2003, 05:20 PM
rcmac2
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tiger II Flying Problem or Building Problem

My friend built a Tiger 2. I have never had a problem with any Tiger 2's or Sky Tiger from Goldberg. This plane fly's awful. Its a 40 size plane with a TT 46 and on take off it wants to turn hard left. It is barley flyable. I've had to land this plane with all the right aileron and some right rudder. THe plane is built straight and true.
He's gone over the plans and rechecked the CG, lateral balance and engine thrust. My question is, What is causing this? I've had an expert pilot look at it and fly it. He had the same problem. He thought it was worse when you applied up elevator. Does anyone have a thought on this? Thanks for your time.

Mac
Old 06-18-2003, 07:00 PM
fishgod
My Feedback: (13)

I had a trainer that would roll hard to one direction. found that one of the wings was twisted. I was able to correct it by twisting it in the opposite direction and using the heat gun to shrink the covering. But if it is happening with up elevator check and make sure that when he made the joiner for the elevators he didnt put in any differental. One elevator higher then the other. Here is a link to an easy to make differental gauge.

Differental Guage
Old 06-18-2003, 07:20 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Plane flying crazy

First off, planes don't fly crazy if they really are straight and true.

Someone besides your buddy needs to check the plane for warps, thrust offset and tail angle. Maybe he is measuring from the wrong spot or doesn't know how to check.

The fin could be off. Lay a yardstick along one side and see if it runs down the center of the fuselage. You can stang in front of a plane and slowly kneel down, looking back and forth at the wings and usually spot a warp. Stand above and look down on the engine.

This answer is far out, but it happened to a buddy of mine. He hadn't had a computer radio long and I helped him set up flaperons and landing spoilers. He sold that plane and built another, using the same location in memory. Here's where the problem came in-he didn't do a RESET prior to starting the new program. This ought to be in big red letters, as far as I am concerned.

Here's the result. On the previous plane, he was using the mix switch for the landing spoilers. Naturally, he left it off. His new plane flew fine until one day he accidently bumped the mix switch. When he throttled to idle, the radio put the spoilers up. Right aileron-aileron channel up. Left aileron-flap channel up. Except, he was now using a Y-connector!. Right aileron up, left aileron down!! Throttle to idle, right roll. HELP. We got the plane down and fixed the program, but if your buddy has a computer radio, check it, there may be something weird in the program.
Old 06-18-2003, 08:03 PM
rcmac2

Thanks ED.. We checked the radio and it wasn't that. I agree with your suggestions. There has to be something not true... Boy that radio thing would really screw a plane into the ground.
Old 06-18-2003, 08:50 PM
MinnFlyer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My guess would be a wing twist also. As Ed suggested, close one eye and looking from the front-center of the wing, slowly rotate the wing until you can see the trailing edge come over the "horizon" of the spar. Then, without moving, look at each trailing edge and see if they are both level with the spar. If you can see one, but not the other, you've got a twist.
Old 06-20-2003, 01:24 AM
rcmac2

Thanks ED any help is appreciated...

Mac