Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

That ONE guy in the Flying Club

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

That ONE guy in the Flying Club

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 10:34 AM
ppkk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: That ONE guy in the Flying Club

Interesting how everyone in the thread essentially agrees that there was no validity to the older gentlemens observations without any details of what he's pointing out.

Could it be he's truly interested in eliminating unsafe practices that have become commonplace, or acceptable at your field? For example, some of the practices that I have seen that I would stop that might be considered to be "fun police":
    [*]Starting a plane without it being restrained.[*]Taxiing in the pit area[*]Flying over the pit or parking area[*]Smoking while fueling or defueling a plane[*]hovering over the runway when other planes are on approach[*]Flying outside the field boundaries[*]Children or pets unsupervised and running around the pit area[/list]I would be curiuos to hear some examples of his nit-picking before I offered my judgement.

BTW, as the President of my local club for the past 4 years now, I've heard members complain about the "nitpickers", but when it came down to it, there was a valid observation in the nit.

Brad
Ihave to agree with the above statement. It seems people are jumping to conclusions without fully understanding the circumstances. If the individual is being "annoying" by reciting safety rules appropriately then there isn't much to say. Traffic cops can be annoying too, but rules are rules.

There was an incident afew years ago in my club where a plan hit a person on the side of the head resulting in the loss of one eye (it amazes me that the individual is alive.) I wasn't there that day, but by all accounts the pilot was flying recklessly over the parking & pits area until he lost control of the plane. Theperson who got hit was sitting in the assigned area having a conversation;he had not broken any rules. After than incident, the club implemented a comprehensive safety policy that wasrigorously enforcedby all members (you wouldn't even think about putting a plane on the ground without first restraining it.) So back to the original question: is this individual being reasonable and logical? If not have at it, but Iwould still wonder whygets re-elected?

For the record, Ibelong in the 20-40 age group.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:57 AM
Saito_56
My Feedback: (17)

ORIGINAL: MANFRED

Boy, you can really tell in this thread who are the guys he is talking about just by their responses.
Manfred, you are correct with your statement about who is who by their response. You may want to bundle me up with the resident know it all's, but let me tell you nothing could be further from the truth.

I was a club officer for six years, but I have not flown for over two years. For health reasons, work, for being plane old tired of the work involved, and being one of the "10%" that Red quoted above. It was a very good article by the way Red!

I never confronted a club member, chastised them, corrected them with the exception of one person who thought he didn't have to belong to the AMAto fly at our site. I am a CD, and have run a Toys for Tots event for the past five years, raising over $4000 in cash and well over 1000 toys. Do Iwant a pat on the back?Nope. Just stateing facts.

True there are individules that make it miserable for others, and unless they have a valid safety point, I think they are out of line as much as everyone else. I was chastised once, because the person just didn't like my plane. Now that is nit picking!

Old 05-28-2009, 11:52 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

It seems that there is a growing resentment, particularly focused at old timers in R/C clubs. Sign of the times I guess, when the work that went into organizing a club and building a field with decent amenities is forgotten. Many under 50 simply found their localclub was established and running when they got into the hobby.No sweat ontheir part, same for the ARFs they are attempting to fly - minimal investment in time or commitment. How did those old timers do it?Not only did they have to build their planes but they had to build the radio gear that went into it - and still had the time and drive to build a club while married and working to support a family.I've seen a couple of clubs simply fold after the "old timers" faded away asthose that followed them just didn't have what it took to keep the club alive, nor did they apparently care. Not their problem.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:18 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Almost all of the old timers in RC clubs and the world in general are great people with a lot of knowledge to offer. Not only did they build most clubs they built the world that we enjoy. They should be looked at as a valuable asset. There are those rare few hoewever that are a pain. They aren't a pain because they are old timers of course. It's just their nature and was likely the same when they were young. Young a******* eventually end up being old a*******.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:36 PM
Saito_56

ORIGINAL: Red Scholefield

It seems that there is a growing resentment, particularly focused at old timers in R/C clubs. Sign of the times I guess, when the work that went into organizing a club and building a field with decent amenities is forgotten. Many under 50 simply found their localclub was established and running when they got into the hobby.No sweat ontheir part, same for the ARFs they are attempting to fly - minimal investment in time or commitment. How did those old timers do it?Not only did they have to build their planes but they had to build the radio gear that went into it - and still had the time and drive to build a club while married and working to support a family.I've seen a couple of clubs simply fold after the "old timers" faded away asthose that followed them just didn't have what it took to keep the club alive, nor did they apparently care. Not their problem.
Very true Red, Iam aproching the "Oldtimer Status" but am not that old to have had to build my own radio gear. I do know some real oldtimers who did, and for the most part, I find it very intersting to listen to their history in the hobby and how radio equipment has progressed over the years.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:47 PM
Justme

Truly I understand the safety issues. Everyone has made valid points. I am not really speaking of this guy who is the safety officer who does his job, even if he has to perform it in a stern manner. I talking about the guy who ignors the lower mental functioning guy, or has a snide comment to say about any idea that is not his. Look, we all know these guys, and yes they are in every kind of hobby imaginable. The guy who owns the local hobby shop is the same way, just a miserable old soul. He runs off more business than he gets. Spending any time in his shop and listening to him talk to customers is appauling. Why do I keep going back? Good question. Convenience. His is the closest by 40 miles. What a story about the person who was struck by the plane. OUCH! Better make sure your AMAmembership because he'll need the insurance.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:47 AM
Saito_56

ORIGINAL: Justme

Truly I understand the safety issues. Everyone has made valid points. I am not really speaking of this guy who is the safety officer who does his job, even if he has to perform it in a stern manner. I talking about the guy who ignors the lower mental functioning guy, or has a snide comment to say about any idea that is not his. Look, we all know these guys, and yes they are in every kind of hobby imaginable. The guy who owns the local hobby shop is the same way, just a miserable old soul. He runs off more business than he gets. Spending any time in his shop and listening to him talk to customers is appauling. Why do I keep going back? Good question. Convenience. His is the closest by 40 miles. What a story about the person who was struck by the plane. OUCH! Better make sure your AMAmembership because he'll need the insurance.
Yes there are some people in our hobby, that can find fault with Mother Theresa if he tries hard enough! The person who nit picks, finds fault etc.
I spoke of being chastised and berated once just because he did not aprove of my airplane. Our person, was an ex-Navy chief, and I was told thats just the way he is, and how he was in the Navy. Being in the Army once upon a time, I understand about career military, but you would think once retired they would sit back and enjoy life more. Maybe it becomes ingrained in them too much after years or decades in the service.

I found some good advice mentioned here, I particularly like the one where you ask to borrow money!I think that would do the trick.

Old 06-13-2009, 01:44 AM
timcat26

ORIGINAL: Red Scholefield

I would agree that there is at least a bias towards the "old timers". I'm 46 and just got into the Hobby in November after wanting to for a long time. These guys have taught me a tremendous amount about the sport. One just needs to be patient enough to listen and filter out the negative attitudes from them about items like computer radios and other more modern advances in Technology.

At our club, inthe public meetings, it has been identified that the growing average age of the RC Hobbyist is the grestest danger to the continuation of the Hobby in the future.No great surprise there. There is also a lot of complaining from the older members about the young "hotshots" that push the edge (while still observing safety protocols) of their aircraft and skill. Is there a way to resolve this? Absolutely not, this is an age old conflict no matter what topic is being discussed.

On the flipside, Tuesday and Friday mornings at our Club are unoficially designated as "Geezer Day" (by the Old timers, not the Membership). This is all well and good, they tend to fly from 9a-11a and then pack up and grab lunch. When they're in the air other members tend to stay on the ground as they tend to not focus on aircraft other than theirmore than some might like. I just go up high during these times and do my thing. They are members too andin many cases founding, 40 year members. They deserve the consideration, again IMO.

Bottom line is that I consider them a resource rather than an obstacle. I believea migration toward this attitude would benefit the hobby and all who are in it greatly.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:51 AM
fredscz
My Feedback: (47)

Every club has them(resident experts) and the retired folks naturally have more time to spend. Not just rc clubs but every one of the several I have or now belong to has the resident experts. Look around and I believe you will find a few right here on RCU. Same way on RCG and some  just go back and forth between the web sites.
 I have also noticed that there are a few cliques or groups that nobody ever says anything to about their flying or other safety issues. I don't have that problem myself , I enjoy bringing up something controversial and then standing back and watching  the fireworks.  We have several 35-40 year flyers that don't hesitate to tell everybody about their years of experience, but one club member sort of got ticked off when I suggested that maybe he had been doing it all wrong for all of his 35 years of flying. On the other hand another one of the other experienced members  is well worth listening to as his comments are usually helpful.
Fred
Old 06-13-2009, 11:53 AM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Going through life with a negative and toxic tone isn't reserved for the seniors. I've had teens asking me the "why did you do that " and the " why didn't you do this" questions . Those questions are the hallmarks of RC jerks.( normal people as "how did you...") . And the jerksare genrally flying junk. Its funny how all of their knowledge and expertise yeilds such little fruit. Clubs should just vote them off the island.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:54 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Bob Underwood wrote this on experts a number of years ago. I think he hit it dead center.

Club experts: We all know the classic definition of an expert, so we won't get into that here. Rather, we will help you understand that all clubs have a resident expert. It is a law that there has to be one! This individual knows everything about everything-building, flying, club history, the best way to make money, flying site rules, frequency plans, everything is tucked away in this person's noodle.
Of course, the seating arrangement at the meeting reveals which individual has been elevated to the level of expert sainthood.
The person will be surrounded by followers exuding a knowing glow, with those individuals who have acknowledged the expert's status over the longest period being seated in closest proximity. It should be noted that while all clubs must have one expert, no club can have more than three. They consume one another! Actually, if three emerge, after a short time one will move several miles down the road and start a new club.

This was pre-internet - now you can find the experts on just about every forum and any left over congregate on the AMA forum where the specialty is how the AMA should be run.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:17 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

If you work for awhile with that older generation (the pre-boomers) you find that what they lack in social skills they make up for in reliability and dedication. True, you can hardly stand to be around many of them, but they really are the ones that do most of the work so that others can enjoy whatever organization they are a part of. I have two in my church that I can barely stand to even talk to, yet last week they both spent all of two days working on a rent house that the church owns. One is 68 and the other is 83.

I can understand why people that age have an attitude- younger people come and treat flippantly what they sacrificed to build. They've watched the boomers come through with their customer mentality and the busters are here today and gone tomorrow, using what they want and then leaving the mess. Throw in some valid complaints and it's no wonder they are so negative.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:41 AM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There's nothing wrong with someone being an expert at something. We need them.

Certainly we all have jobs, abilities and careers, so there are things we all shine at. And that's good. Allows us to have something to offer and give back, within reason of course and obviously.

The true issue is "personalities." Isn't this the real issue? It's the personality of any individual that creates an issue or doesn't.

Big problem with Clubs, is the collection of certain personalities, even "Cliques," if you will, that can be really damaging to members and the Club.

I know first hand, how a collection of pompous personalities can have an effect on a Club and Members. Especially when a collection of this type of individual controls the Club.

It's absolutely a nasty shame when someone has so empty a life that they have to direct their need to rule and control, in a Model Airplane Club environment. And when they "click" they do it in numbers.

Selfishness, jealously? Control freaks? Jerks, idiots, Bullies? Don't be shy or kind, call them what they are.

There's a name for everything.

Stay tuned, I'll tell you true stories about a Club and people you won't believe.

I never forget.

Charles
Old 06-15-2009, 09:45 PM
chashint

Rodney, you are right that 5% do 95% of the work. I can understand that. I am however in school full time for my Master's degree to be a Nurse Practitioner and work full time at a hospital, and most of the people who do the work are retired. God bless them for it too. But my work load permits me to fly only on Tuesday nights. If it is raining, I have to wait until next week. My work schedule doesn't allow me to attend any meetings. My situation is different than most and some would still call me a slacker. I just have to set my priorities and club government has to fall farther down the list. That's the breaks.... And I do contribute to the club...I provide comic relief with my lack of flying ability.
Seems to me like you have absolutely nothing to complain about in regards to the RC club.
Regardless of your personal situation you are just along for the ride.
A good dose of appreciation for that 5% (even theones you find annoying)might do you and thema world of good.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:15 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Boy, you can really tell in this thread who are the guys he is talking about just by their responses.

Old 06-16-2009, 12:44 AM
wahoo
My Feedback: (59)

"Many under 50 simply found their localclub was established and running when they got into the hobby.No sweat ontheir part, same for the ARFs they are attempting to fly - minimal investment in time or commitment."

Ever hear of "To each his own" ?? So Inever built a radio and have only built 3 kits during my manyyears in the hobby... that makes someone better than me ? just because they had NOCHOICEback then !! Ienjoy doing alot more than just RC. Yes I'm under 50 also.

I'll take most 3D fliers over some of the old timers flying abilities anyday.... notice Isaid MOST.
Imight not be a precision pattern pilot but Ican put an rc plane anywhere Iwant it

Itruly due enjoy the many stories and experiences the old timers have to share but Ido not enjoy nor appreciate the couple that show up damn near every saturday with no airplanes and their large cups of Mikey D's coffee only to give me dirty looks because Ichoose to fly profile planes and enjoy 3D While they sit and talk about their good ole days. After all these are MYgood old days right now.

I'm sure I'm not alone on this.
Thanks for listening
(c:

Manfred said it best.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:23 PM
chashint

ORIGINAL: PilotFighter
Not really.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:54 PM
Justme

This forum posting sure touched a nerve. I think that is because every guy responding either knows someone like this or is someone like this. In every family there is a person that when he shows up at the family reunion, everyone whispers, “Oh no. Look who just showed up.” If you can’t think of anyone in your family that fits that description, then you are that person.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:49 AM
David Bathe

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Jez, I must have it great because we don't seem to have any prob's with our 100 member plus club. Lots of experience fliers, great safty regs, nets, fences etc.Regarding the rules, regs brigade etc etc. There really is a reason, as annoying as they all seem, specially when one is aimed at you for some "stupid" reason:Controll. I've flown at some sites where there was the a total lack and while it's a short term blast... it becomes a real pain in the #ss as events unfold.You can't fly any decent/expensive/competion model under those conditions... and it's just to crazy to concider doing any type of training flights. Imagine loosing a beautiful comp' model in a mid air with some lousy (and I own some) junk. Getting shot down becase the new kid as just turn on his tranny. Hitting a plane on landing because to many folks are fumbling around. Dreadfull!Personal injury... if you don't concider this to a problem... you just havent been doing this long enough!Man there are some injuries... most due to the persons own fault, but many due to a third party.I was fuelling a plane in the "pits" area of one club and a had a model fly full chat into my flight box, 30cm away from my head! Jez wasn't there anywhere else to crash? And people laughed and cheered. Yippee.I've seen planes smashing into cars, houses, public toilets (that was me). I've seen fingers chopped off, heads scalped, thighs ripped apart. I've seen flying sights lost becase of laod engines and off limit flying... what a waste. I've whitnessed models of all shapes and sizes wipped out becsuse of easily avoildable midairs and seen the resulting debris rain down on cars, the pits area, the sitting area etc. I seen people tripping over planes and coppers trying to avoild person injury and in the event doing untold damage to the models he's tripped over and landed on! The list just goes on. Compensation? Dream on.I'm sorry if I sound old... almost 50 and been flying this since the beginning 70's but I just can't be bothered with any scr#wing around... when I'm there!I almost always drive to fast, jump red lights etc... rules just aren't my thing except when model aeroplanes (mine) are involveld.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:58 AM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

Yes it struck a nerve. But not for the reasons you think. Flying sites are terribly hard to find and keep. Clubs are torn apart because people are so easily offended when everybody doesn't agree with them, or when others insist the rules are for everybody else. When infighting at the field leads to "political" issues, the downward spiral begins. It nearly destroyed our club 4 years ago. Do we have people that don't like others planes or flying styles? Sure. Do they voice their opinions? Sure. But we do it in a congenial way, and we have fun.

I'll never complain about any individual that isalways "somewhere in the mix of elected people". That person cares about maintaining the club. I'll never complain about the people that just show up and fly without attending club meetings or helping at club events. They keep paying dues that pay for the field. I'll never complain about the person that just shows up to "nit pick" because they're at the field and aware of what's going on. And there's always two sides to every coin. Our club learned the hard way that we ALL have a common goal, and that is to keep our field open. To keep it open, we have to establish acceptable standards of conduct at the field. And that includes respect for everybody, whether you agree with them or not.

So do we have "that one guy"? No. Does that mean I'm that guy? I certainly hope not, and based on the feedback I get from club members, I'm pretty sure I'm not.

Next time you run into "that guy", try looking from his perspective. As Stephen Covey says, "Seek first to understand, then be understood". It might change your relationship with "that guy".

Brad
Old 06-17-2009, 10:29 AM
wahoo
My Feedback: (59)

If you can’t think of anyone in your family that fits that description, then you are that person.

They say that 1 in 5 people suffer from mental illness...... think of it this way.

If you have 4 good friends that seem normal YOU'RE IT
Old 06-18-2009, 06:06 AM
Roby

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sure hope this thread keeps going . I find it quite entertaining and
fairly accurate.

Makes me appreciate the club I'm in even more since we don't have
much of the BS mentioned above. .....................Thank God.

Regards,
Roby
Old 06-18-2009, 10:03 PM
Avaiojet

David,

I took the trip to your website. I hope you don't mind.

At first glance I was astonished at the quality and detail ofyour "airbrush" work.

Yes, what a surprise when I read on and discovered you produce that quality art in Illustrator.

A shock to say the least.

I must commend you, not only for your effort, but for the professional level of work you do and yourdisplay of remarkable ability and talent.

Double kudos.

I know what I'm talking about because I'm an artist also. In all honesty, I could never duplicate your style and ability in Illustrator. Your achievement, in art quality,is at a superior level.

Keep up the good work!

Charles
Old 06-18-2009, 10:41 PM
Soaring Steve

I was once a member of an RC club about 15 years ago.. The person(s) described here not only drove me out of the club, but literally right out of the hobby. They ruled and regulated the fun right out of the hobby. I could no longer  take going flying to be constantly criticized, told I didnt know what I was doing, that I need someone else to fly my airplanes and such. I was a highly competent builder and flyer and competed my scale airplanes in shows. The only reasons these persons were this way to not only me, but many other members who were not in the clique, was nothing more than an ego boost for them.

Only recently , after looking at my airplane collection gathering dust, did I decide to get back in to my airplanes. I attended an RC show in April, and quickly realized why I got out to begin with. As I walked around this show, I listened the these people boast and brag about how great they are, how they are the saviors of thier clubs, how no one else is a smart as they are,  if it werent for them the Wright bros would have never got off the ground, etc. I know exactly the type of "person" that started this thread.

Fortunatly though, I now live in the desert where there is no shortage of open space. Ive scratch built myself a new Kadet MKII to train on again. My friends and I now go out and actually enjoy the hobby, instead of having to worry about which nag will complain because I didnt clean my airplane properly. Its enjoyable again.

Clubs my be fine for many, especially those that are learning (if they put up with the know it alls and such) but for some it can be a  very stiffling. For me tho, I grab my friends, head out to the desert and have fun. Thats what its all about.

For all you club officials that care, take a look at whats going on in your club. Im sure you have some members that are like the "person" described and others who are tired of their B.S. Make it fun for all.

Thats my opinoin anyways.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:38 PM
Avaiojet

Steve,

Sounds to me there may have been a jealously issue. When jealously is the issue, "these" guys are really good at abuse.

I'm on 2.4 now. I shouldn't have a care in the world.

Charles

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.