Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

That ONE guy in the Flying Club

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

That ONE guy in the Flying Club

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 03:07 AM
David Bathe

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: That ONE guy in the Flying Club

ORIGINAL: Avaiojet

David,

I took the trip to your website. I hope you don't mind.

At first glance I was astonished at the quality and detail of your "airbrush" work.

Yes, what a surprise when I read on and discovered you produce that quality art in Illustrator.

A shock to say the least.

I must commend you, not only for your effort, but for the professional level of work you do and your display of remarkable ability and talent.

Double kudos.

I know what I'm talking about because I'm an artist also. In all honesty, I could never duplicate your style and ability in Illustrator. Your achievement, in art quality, is at a superior level.

Keep up the good work!

Charles
Charles, very kind words... Most people don't really understand exactly whats taking place.
Something I have much experience with starting with the blank expressions on my parents faces as they tried to explain what their son "was doing" at art college... many moons ago.
Yes, flat old Illustrator... Old school now! All the young guns are shooting 3d Computor Generated Images rendered with REAL effects. My stuff is stone aged.
I painted with Airbrush and water colours for years, Started using Macs very early on for graphic production and just started painting in Illustrator.

It's an odd technique(and one that only comes from years of holding a brush) but as you see, the vector work has this strange painted quality, some thing that reproduces on paper far better than on the screen.
The aeroplanes are just a hobby, I have to do real graphics to make a living.
Still, It give me a lot of pleasure when somebody knowledgable like youself says something positive.
Cheers for that.
And by the way, took a look at the pictures of your workshop.
One question: How many Gee Bees have you got going there?

Sorry to the others for being off topic.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:42 PM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

David,

I think this is one of those Threads were a change in topic is welcomed now and again.

Just for your interest, part of what I do is aviation art. Canvas and brush or pallet knife.

A couple of my paintings.

I hope no one minds.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61239.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	1221198   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ea84413.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	1221199   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty65567.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	1221200   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ey70722.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	1221201  
Old 06-20-2009, 05:38 AM
David Bathe

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Well cool, thats what I call painting, not the A' retentive stuff I do.  Love the graphic Popart jive you've got going there.
You know, I've just got to get a pencil out one day and get back to basics.
You should contact the Guild of Aviation Artists if you haven't already, They're a decent bunch always looking for new members. You'll walk in... you've also got talent.
Mine you they won't let me in. They looked at a few examples of what  I do and  a gentleman, with typical British reserve told me, after being initially extremely enthusiastic... " oh... dear dear dear we don't allow airbrush work in the Guild. I said "it's vector man... you can scale it as big as a house!". He just put the phone down.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:09 AM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

David,

<<Guild of Aviation Artists>>

Don't be bothered by that non-acceptance thing.

Iwasnever found of organizations where the member's primary motivation was to feather their own nest.Sure, they areindividuals with abilities but choose to make as much money with their product$ as they can, especially their print$, not to mention the name for themselves.

The name recognition they have, needand actually strive for, is something I can do without. Reminds me of some modelers.

I'm fine being a nothing,How bout you?

Charles