Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

How to Apply Decals?

I've been building planes for quite a while but have never taken the time to apply the decals that came with the kit. But I'm building a BH T-28 that I won in a club raffle and would like to dress it up. So, how do you get the decals off the backing sheet, how do you apply them to make sure there are no bubbles and how do you ensure that they will stay on and not be affected by fuel spray, cleaning solutions, etc? Any help will be much appreciated.
    RC_Fanatic -- Club Saito member #807

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: How to Apply Decals?

Spray the target surface with windex. Peel off the decal and lay it down and position. Squeegee out the windex and let dry for a day. I don't know what to fuel proff with but you amy try clear polyurethane.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks. i thought you might have to soak them in water but I just tried one and it came off.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

There are several different types but after they are down and dry Ihave seen everything from fingernail polish to clear dope lightly painted around the edges just to keep them from lifting. The ones I use are vynal, Iput them down with windex but I ended up shooting poly-U over the complete plane and decals, they have lasted for years.
    Drinking and driving are illegal, why do bars have parking lots
    Daisy Air Guns, keeping kids off your lawn for 100 years

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If they are "peel n stick" vinyl no soaking is necessary.

I tell my customers to use foam window cleaner. Comes in a aerosol can. It's much better than Windex. They should be fuel prof without clearing.

Got photos?

This Thread may help.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_84...tm.htm#8462647

Charles
    Owner: CFC Graphics. "Model Airplane Graphics from a Model Airplane Builder." cfcgraphics.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks again. I've used clear nail polish to safety the edges of Ultracote numbers I've put on my planes for racing. I think I'll do the same here. Avaiojet, thanks for the link. Far beyond me now but I think I'll put that technique on my "Soon-To-Do" list. I'll have to do it by hand as I do not have a plotter to cut vinyl. I'll see what I can get from the sign shop. It seems the transfer paper is critical to the process.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It seems the transfer paper is critical to the process.
    Yes, the transfer paper holds all the letters together or images in place. Sign shops will give you their short rolls for free.They will alsosave you their scrap vinyl, which they would normally throw out.

Charles
    Owner: CFC Graphics. "Model Airplane Graphics from a Model Airplane Builder." cfcgraphics.com