Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

After Run Oil or not?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

After Run Oil or not?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 04:51 PM
Silver Flyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After Run Oil or not?

Morgan Fuels Cool Power15% says do not use after run oil on the label. Although I have always used Marvel oil after a day of flying, beginning early this year I started using CP 15%, In March I bought a new Saito 100 at Perry Ga. Swapmeet from a reputal Hobby Shop and installed it in a new Kadet Sr... After only two weekends of very little flying I crashed due to my error, causing me to send the engine to Horizon Hobbies for repair. The tech there found in addition to the crash damage that both bearings were corroded and had to be replaced also. I went back to the label and read again "no after run oil". I blame me for not continuing a lifetime of using Marvel Mystery oil for the bearing problem,Makes me wonder if my other engines have the same problem and I don’t realize it because of infrequent flying. Thanks for listening to my gripe

Old 06-11-2009, 06:21 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: After Run Oil or not?

I used after run for 80% of last season, ran out and switched to Marvel Mystery Oil. This season I opened up that engine and had to replace the bearings and the wrist pin due to rust. I now don't use anything figuring I'll have the same issues or not, either way.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:27 PM
RCPAUL
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've used after-run oil for probably close to 40 years.The only time I had rust was when I didn't use it. I use a 50-50 mixture of Marvel Mystery oil and transmission fluid.

I've been at this for about 60 years.

Paul
Old 06-11-2009, 06:43 PM
larrysogla

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Marvel Mystery oil is not as good as Marvel Air Tool oil in rust preventative. Marvel Air Tool oil is much, much better in rust preventative. Automatic transmission fluid is also a good rust preventative. So is gun oil like Hoppes or Outers or Remington in a spray can. The cheapest is automatic transmission fluid. WD-40 and Marvel Mystery oil are not so good in rust preventative.
Thanks
larry
Old 06-11-2009, 08:06 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have used it for 30 plus years and never had an engine bearing failure or motor sieze. I can tell you that this subject is a matter of great debate and really comes down to personal choice. I see it as cheap insurance. Good Luck, Dave
Old 06-12-2009, 01:03 AM
freeair

most shop bought after run oils suggest you only add a couple of drops to the engine. what is that going to do ? bugger all. what i have done for many years is use my own after run oil which is just automotive transmission fluid, fill up the crankcase and when your ready to fly again just remove the glow plug and let the starter pump the oil out .
Old 06-12-2009, 11:19 AM
42etus
My Feedback: (2)

I don't use ARO, I don't see a need for it. Coolpower says it contains ARO, and it seems to work fine. I run my engines dry at the end of the day, maybe that helps too. If you want to use it, go for it, ain't going to hurt anything. YMMV.
Paul
Old 06-12-2009, 12:51 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This subject is about as volatile as air cleaners. I don't use either, the only exception is when I pickle an engine for long storage and do use 50/50 tranny fluid/ ordinary Mystery oil

He,he come to think of it everyones got theirown secret bull snot for cleaning airplanes too.I just use arag.