Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

biplanes

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 09:28 PM
daveashsr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default biplanes

hi guys
just wondering what bi planes u have flown ? there are so many out there but i would like a good fun bibe that actually flys as good as it looks lol !
whats the best ?
60-90 size ! kit form or arf don't matter !
thanks David
Old 06-23-2009, 10:26 PM
redfox435cat

Default RE: biplanes

weren't all mine but, actually the GP ultimate bipe is the only one I built and owned, I love flying bipes but I hate building bipes. I love to build but If I did another Bipe I'd do an ARF.
The rest I've maidened and or people let me fly.

GP ultimate bibe
GP super skybolt
GP Christan Eagle

Hog Bipe

TF Beech Staggerwing

Balsa USA 1/4 EAA bipe

sig ultimate bipe
sig waco

I like the 60 sized bipes, and overpower the crap out of em, they like it. I loved the Christen Eagle. The friend I maid ended it for had to rip the radio from me after the third flight. Flew like i was in rails, unlimited vertical, could hover it pretty well, didn't get enough time to get any good with it.

The Hog bipe was a very gentle and forgiving plane. Was shear joy to fly, floated like a cub and could snap roll with the best of em. The Staggerwing is a beautiful plane but as with most TF models it's freaking heavy.

The Sig ultimate performed the best, but it was built by a master and had power for days, I think he put a saito 1.5 in it.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:30 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The best one I have ever flown was the Ultimate. Other good ones are the SIG Hog Bipe, Sky Bolt and Stearman.I went through a point in life I was know as the Bipe guy but that was a while ago, I got tired of hauling Bipes and/or setting them up at the field. I still have a couple, the Aeromaster, no longer made and a giant Boeing F4B-2 that I built from plans.
I was really into ww1 planes all my life and was building them from plans, they look cool but aren't the best choice.
There are a bunch to choose from but for a great all around Bipe you can't beat the Ultimate. Goldberg still makes one in kit form, the 10-300 in 60 size or they have a pretty good ARF.
I just started flying the Boeing again but it's really a van full so I can see it hanging on my shop wall again very soon.
Incidence is about the only thing you have to understand when setting up a Bipe. Other then that and the extra drag involved they aren't all that hard to fly. They do slow down fast.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:26 AM
jay2000dakota

I will agree with Gray Beard, the 60 size Ultimate is a great plane almost too easy to fly and it will take any punishment you can throw at it. Ive got a Carl Goldberg Ultimate that was built in 1993 and has been put threw its paces every second it has been in the air. I swapped the paper weight OS 120 surpass II for a Saito 125a and its not a 3D mechine (not enough control surface area) its got enough to do torque rolls. The only downside to the Ultimate (other then wing setup, final tweaking ) is the cabin struts are easly bent with any accident also the strut mounts for both cabin and outside struts are alittle weak but they may have changed the design since 1993. My plane stays assmembled at all times except for inspections. The CG Ultimate ARF with a Saito 125 or 150 would be a great plane diffinitly the top biplane on my list.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:40 AM
pdm52956
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just picked up a GP Ultimate 1.60 from a friend of mine. Has a Brillelli 46GT with a 21 x 8 prop. It's my first bipe and it flys great, but boy does it ever slow down fast! Love the plane though.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:45 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

An Ultimate IS an outstanding bipe, but it has a short tail moment which can bite you. So unless you're used to flying snappy planes like Caps or Decathlons, you might be better off with a GP Skybolt. It's extremely aerobatic, but smoother and a lot more stable for the first-time Bipe flier.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:38 PM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

An Ultimate IS an outstanding bipe, but it has a short tail moment which can bite you. So unless you're used to flying snappy planes like Caps or Decathlons, you might be better off with a GP Skybolt. It's extremely aerobatic, but smoother and a lot more stable for the first-time Bipe flier.
Mike, I didn't notice any difference in the ground handling between the two??I did have a lot of getting used to with my WW1 bipes though, just real ugly until I flew them a lot and if I didn't fly them often then it was a complete learn over thing every time I took them out.
Right now if I was to build another one though it would be hard for me to choose between the Bolt or the Ultimate, I really like them both but the Ultimate would maybe win out?? Very hard choice. If someone offered me either one I wouldn't say no!!
One of my friends did buy the Bolt ARF and said it was quite a bit lighter.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:49 PM
MinnFlyer

I wouldn't say no to either one myself, but we have both flown many bipes. While ground handling is similar, the Ultimate is "snappier". Both fly great but the Ultimate is a bit more radical in the aerobatics department - the Skybolt is less radical, but a bit more stable.

So, what I'm getting at is, IF you get in trouble, the Ultimate can be more difficult to regain control with.

It's a toss-up, but for a FIRST bipe, I would give the Skybolt a slight edge over the Ultimate just for stability.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:54 PM
pdm52956

Mike (or whom ever), can I ask a question here? The Ultimate has a 65" span with a 72" length while the Skybolt has a 57" span and a 53" length. Round numbers anyway.

In terms of tail moment, wouldn't the bolt have a shorter moment and therefore be a little crisper? Weight difference is about 6 pounds, but then there is a bit of size difference between them. I haven't flown my bipe but about 3 times now, but seems to me the Ultimate should be more stable looking at the specs. Am I wrong in my thought process??

The Ultimate take offs and flight are awesome, but it sure is a bit of a learning curve on landings. Sinks like a rock if you don't keep on top of the throttle!

Paul
Old 06-24-2009, 12:57 PM
MinnFlyer

Well, to be honest, i've never measured either, but I've flown both and the Skybolt is by far the more stable of the two.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:00 PM
Stick 40

Hi,

back some years ago , I picked up a Balsa USA Phaeton II with a .60 2 cycle on it. That was one nice flying plane, I flew it untill it fell apart from use.

I keep thinking of building one, may do it one of these days.

but it is a kit!!!

sticks
Old 06-24-2009, 05:23 PM
Gray Beard

Dave did say kit or ARF. Mike did remind me too about the big difference between the Bolt and Ultimate, the Bolt is a lot more stable in the air and an outstanding first stunt Bipe. When I was flying the Ultimate I was already being taught pattern flying. I have never gotten to fly the Phaeton but I have been close to buying that kit more then once. At the time I was learning to fly pattern I had just built a Krier Kraft from Gordon Whitehead plans, great plane and super flyer. I thought it should fly as well as the Ultimate, well, no it didn't but it was pretty good except for that nasty little problem with the slow speed stall and I lost in on landing approach from about 100 feet up. I have found this little problem with other Bipes like the Pitts.
I never found the ground handling of the Ultimate bad but each make of kit/ARF can have different handling. The one I was flying was an Aeroworks I think?
As a first one I think the Bolt or Hog would be a great choice but my love is the Ultimate.
I would still be building Bipes but they take up so much room in my an and I don't like to assemble or take apart a plane at the field.
For WW1 Bipes something like the Fokker D-VII is a better choice then the ones that the full scale had a round engine. You need to add nose weight to them and talk about bad ground handling, makes landing a true thrill, I liked to call my landings when they went over scale landings and my wing tips were always scratched up.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:12 PM
costarican_pilot

biplanes are the best.. how they roll how the do the knife edge .. flat spins they are the best for my opinio, i love how the pitts special looks but i enjoy more fying my ultimate 3d s! the new era of biplane are coming with the biplane pythoon from aeroworks
Old 06-24-2009, 10:50 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

I have a GP Ultimate Bipe 40 and a Sig Pig (Hog Bipe). I really like the Ultimate a lot. I find it a very capable and very forgiving aircraft. I'm not so happy with the Hog. Mine has some bad habits.
Old 06-28-2009, 02:49 AM
Aerobatx

My 1st bipe was a DAS BIPE STICK, a Midwest Kit, it was great because it was easy to set up at the field and it flew great, i HAD A .os 60 fs. I loveed that plane.

The last plane I had was a kit built GP Skybolt with a YS 1.20, the thing about the skybolt is the thickness or actu, I'm a littlle hinking about building a"Pig" nextally Thinness of the wings. It would haul as, and had unlimited verticle performance. It was the finest plane I ever built. Slowed down to a crawl to land.

I'm thinking of getting a "Pig" Bipe. next, the Sig Astro Hog, I'm a little leary of Sig kit, they used to have 3 parts when they ccoulda used 1 on their kits, although everything I've read since getting back to flying, (I spent 14 yrs raeen good about their kits, now.acing cars, till this year), has b
Old 06-28-2009, 05:38 AM
jetmech05

I have the Carl Goldburg (now GP) Ultimate 60 size with a 75AX on her and the Aeroworks Pitts Python pictured in post 12...I enjoy my bipes...I have read that the Python is not a good choice for your first gasser, but that was after I had mine....It flys well...just about got 3 gallons through the engine so I can get rid of the break-in fuel....If you get the Python the instructions need some tweaking when it comes to CG and throws on low rates.....reduce the throws and shift CG aft at least a 1/2 inch.....other than that an outstanding airplane....
the Goldburg is gentle on approach and will do anything you want
Bipes slow down pretty quick at idle so keep the speed up
Old 06-30-2009, 08:38 AM
wannabflyboy
My Feedback: (10)

Costarican Pilot, how do you like the Python? I'm assuming that plane in the pic is yours. Beautiful model with the plane too (no disrespect meant). Anyone else have any input on the Python? I want a bipe but not sure if this is a good choice for a 1st bipe.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:39 AM
costarican_pilot

wannabflyboy, i wish that plane was mine, i dont own that one, but i have a ultimate 3d biplane from quique somenziono the plane uis awsome. trust me try a biplane they are good flyers!
Old 06-30-2009, 11:55 AM
jetmech05

If you want input on the Aeroworks Python......the instructions and the hardware are just first rate......the quality of the aircraft is great as well.....I put the 3MM 53 CC motor up front.....so you will have to make a template for the motor, on your own, if you get a motor other than they have a template supplied.....
Set the airplane up as it's called out in the instructions......EXCEPT.....REDUCE the aileron throws on low rate to around 1/2 of whats called out and move the CG aft about a 1/2 inch.......the one thing I did not like was the decals shown that say Pitts Python, are not supplied in the kit can be gotten for an additional fee....
The airplane flys very well
Old 06-30-2009, 08:47 PM
wannabflyboy
My Feedback: (10)

Jetmech05, would you say the Python is a good sport flier if set up that way? I've never flown a biplane but I just love em. Some recommend starting with a smaller less expensive model, but I really want to go larger scale and not buy twice. At the same time I don't want to go too wild either and that's why I'd prefer to steer away from an Ultimate. Most people love them but a few say they can get away from you if you get too aggressive. I'm pretty cautious with something I'm not familiar with and I have no problem with letting someone familiar with something new break me in gently until I get comfortable.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:24 PM
Thisstrangeengine

I flew the CG Ultimate back when it first hit the market and put an OS 1.20 in it. WOW!!! Rolling circles, torque rolls, Knife edge loops(almost)...I loved it!
Old 07-01-2009, 02:20 PM
jetmech05

If this is your first bipe...go with something else.....because of the cost of the Python at 700 bucks is a little steep.....by the time you get everything you're looking at 2000 bucks....My first bipe was the Goldburg Ultimate...Seagull also makes an Ultimate that is a tad bigger and alot heavier...if you go that route a 120 2 stroke for sure.....but the plane flys well.....
I wouldn't recommend the Python right now as it is designed for gas, not glow....just too many things new for you.....gas and a bipe..../.I have not flown the Hog Bipe from Sig but I hear it is a good airplane as well
Old 07-02-2009, 12:54 AM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: daveashsr
60-90 size ! kit form or arf don't matter !
thanks David

Although you did not specifiy plans built I am rather surprised no one mentioned the Chuck Cunningham Lazy Ace In a number of different sizes it is a superb first biplane and a far better candidate for that mission than than some of the aerobats discussed. The Sig hog bipe is an excellent airplane also buy the Lazy Ace is even better. LA's tend to end up being "working Airplanes" and there is good reason for that.

This is some Vidio of one of several local Ace's that serve as glider tugs. Both of the local ones are the eighty inch version one uses a G-23 and the other an OS 1.08:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...06427302&hl=en

http://www.fwthunderbirds.org/lazy_ace.htm

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18898.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	247.2 KB
ID:	1228432