Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Spray gun for latex paint?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Spray gun for latex paint?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 01:17 PM
gene6029

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Spray gun for latex paint?

I have an oilless air compressor with a 6 gal tank. I want to paint my warbird with latex paint. The model is small, 90" ws. I dont really want to paint it with a brush, & want to use latex paint, because i live in a residential area & dont want the smell. Are there air guns out there that will allow me to be able to do this? I have been looking at Lowes & Home Depot, but everything i've seen so far doesnt seem what i need. My other option is to use can spray paint, but feel the spray gun will give me better control of the paint. I can borrow a larger compressor also if the one i have is a problem....looking for suggestions.....Gene
Old 06-25-2009, 01:31 PM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Spray gun for latex paint?

You don't say what the HP is but i have a hunch your compressor will be fine. You do not need a lot pressure (~25 psi) or reserve to spray latex. I started spraying latex with an HVLP gun. I was not getting the results i was looking for. Maybe i am a bit too particular. Any way i switched to my old reliable Badger #400 Detail gun and the results were great. I am all but finished painting a 50% biplane with it and have no intention of using any other paint or gun in the future. I am sold on latex and you just can't beat the price, availability and selection of colors for a gasoline powered plane.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:36 PM
gene6029

Scaleguy, its a fractional HP, i use it for blowing up my car tires. How expensive is a spraygun like the one you are talking about, & are they readily avaiable? Sounds like something i might look at....Gene
Old 06-25-2009, 03:20 PM
OldScaleGuy

Home Depot has one that is similar http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...10000003+90276
Here is a low cost one that is similar http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...?Itemnumber=86
Here is a Badger 400 http://www.a2zhobbies.com/Badger/Oth.../BAD-4002.html
Old 06-25-2009, 06:06 PM
gene6029

Thanks scaleguy, im going to look for a spraygun like you suggest & practice with it a bit on something other than my plane. I appreciate the info...Gene[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 06-26-2009, 06:09 AM
OldScaleGuy

Great. Let us know how it goes for you.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:02 PM
littlera

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My vote is for the Badger 400 as well. It works AWESOME with latex. I have converted to latex due to unavailability of good model paints anymore (legislated out of existence) and the large advantages of getting custom colors mixed at the big box store at a price that rounds off to free compared to model paints of old!

I shoot at about 30 psig with my Ingersoll-Rand 2 HP compressor (got it at a good price - worked for them 34 years before retiring last November!)

I thin my Behr outdoor latex (gloss) with about 15% water and 15% denatured alcohol. I add just a bit of Floquil. My first attempt last year on a Maule M-5 turned out great, but the rattle can clear from Duplicolor went on just a tinge yellow - it didn't "yellow" with age; it went on that way. Next project I am going to try Nelson't clear. Many of the polyurethane clears yellow seriously with a bit of age and sunlight exposure. Over white, as I frequently do, this is not a good thing. For warbirds, it is less of a concern.

Regards,

Randy Little
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71578.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	1225064  
Old 06-26-2009, 07:21 PM
gene6029

Thanks guys, im going looking for a spray gun this weekend. Im getting close to needing it & really want to play around before the real deal. Its been years since i sprayed anything,( probably 20) & that was useing a badger & testors enamel on plastic model planes, back in my IPMS days. It may be a while before i get the plane sprayed, but i'll post how it goes....Gene
Old 06-26-2009, 09:55 PM
littlera

Gene,

Noted that you live in Wilson. Do you know a guy named Marty Young? Worked with him in Mocksville at Ingersoll Rand for a few years in the 90's. I taught him to fly R/C. I think he belongs to the club in Wilson. Last I heard he was engineer for the company there that makes instrument panels and such for Honda cars. I have not heard from him since 2005, however.

The field in the Wilson area is nice, assuming it is same place as in 1994 when I last flew there. I had my son (only 9 at the time) there competing in novice pattern.

Good luck with the spray gun and the painting to come. Get the Badger 400 or equivalent. These "touch-up" type guns are perfect for painting whole planes. Most airbrush type equipment is just too small, and the full size spray equipment is really too big. Some guys swear by the HVLP type guns, but I have never used one and cannot comment.

Regards,

Randy Little
Old 06-27-2009, 04:54 AM
gene6029

Randy, I dont know a Marty at the Wilson club, and i dont see his name listed on the current roster. I looked on the Rocky Mount roster also & dont see his name. Their are several other local clubs that he may belong to, but the name is not familar to me. I appreciate the heads up you provided on the badger 400 gun. Sounds like a winner to me. I wish i was at the painting stage right now, im ready to get to it....Gene
Old 06-27-2009, 07:01 AM
OldScaleGuy

littlera, that is a great looking Maule. Bet it flies as good as it looks.
My wife is from Reidsville and is actually there right now for a family visit. Where is that in relation to you fella's.
Gene, you won't be sorry going the latex route but it did take me a little getting used and some "tweaking" to get all the settings right between the psi and gun, not difficult though. I am an old K&B user and that paint was fantastic but is now long gone.
I am still do some try outs to find a good clear coat for glow fuel. I have confirmed that Lusterkote clear is not compatible.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:14 AM
littlera

Steve,

Reidsville is about 30 minutes north of Greensboro, which is 45 minutes east of me. Driving to Reidsville from here is about 1 hour.

Come on down with her next time, and we will go flyin'! My club is the Winston-Salem R/C Club, actually located in the Mocksville area. We have a very nice facility with wide open expanses, electricity for charging the electrics or even camping, etc. Maybe you could even show me how to fly that Cessna 140!

Regards,

Randy Little
Old 06-27-2009, 04:52 PM
OldScaleGuy

Hey Randy, that sounds like a plan. Next time i head that way, i will let you know. There is a nice field near Reidsville too that i think is ran by one of the Greensboro clubs, it is only a few miles from my Mother-in-laws house.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:50 PM
Jim_Purcha
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have to ask? What are you using to clear coat your models. I'm working on a plane presently and pan to latex paint it too.

Thanks

Jim
[quote]ORIGINAL: OldScaleGuy

littlera, that is a great looking Maule. Bet it flies as good as it looks.
My wife is from Reidsville and is actually there right now for a family visit. Where is that in relation to you fella's.
Gene, you won't be sorry going the latex route but it did take me a little getting used and some
Old 06-28-2009, 03:18 PM
littlera

Jim,

See my post #7 in this thread. I was disappointed with the yellow tinge of the Duplicolor acrylic enamel that I used after seeing it recommended in other online threads. Nice and fuel proof, though, and nice shiny finish.

Some use various polyurethane clear paints, but most report that they yellow with age. This may be ok for some colors and military subjects, but not for the civilian subjects that I tend to model.

I plan on giving Nelson's Hobbies clear a try this next time. Here is link:

http://www.nelsonhobby.com/paint.html

If you use be sure to use the cross linker if applicable. Makes a harder and more durable finish, and required over open fabric areas.

Good luck,

Randy L.