Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

How does your wife deal with your RC airplane hobby?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

How does your wife deal with your RC airplane hobby?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 11:55 AM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How does your wife deal with your RC airplane hobby?

My ex wife never ever liked going anywhere with the daughters and I, She would not go fly a kite with us or even go on a picnic, Shoot she hated Christmas! I had to buy all wrap all and make the dinner! all while working two jobs to make a living! When I was home if you could call it that? I did everything around the house and she gave no help with the kids! She was the most self centered do nothing that I ever knew! I know when she left us it was the best thing ever happen to me! She hated my RC hobby all though never broke an airplane threatened it many times! I never got to go to the field so I got rid of the planes. I had to get my girls raised. I bought a plane here and there and as my girls got out of school left the house or married I started to build and now I have over fifty RC planes and others. I do have a girl friend she lives in her house and I in mine, she will say things very negitive about my planes, there for I know she is not a keeper! Matter of fact I will be telling her goodbye soon when I let her kids know I am leaving her. Her kids and grand kids and I are very close but its her way or the highway! I like traveling I will take the highway! Really after this am not really wanting to try again! I have allot of woman ask me out I try and be a nice guy. But I do not drink nor have in over 31 years and most ask me out for a drink for sure not for me! But I do enjoy life and am good at it so not worried about sharing it anymore. And got my girls grand kids and one son inlaw that never really had a dad and he says he does now! I am teaching him to fly and taking him fishing and all the stuff his self centered father never did with him! Maybe I did not mean a hill of beans to any woman but I do to my daughters and thier children and husbands! God is Good! Bob

Want to keep from crashing? take off and land higher!
Old 06-28-2009, 03:42 PM
lokiyawl
My Feedback: (10)

Destroyer of Blades,

Hmm, however did you earn that moniker? (grin) Well at least blades can be easily replaced! hat's great that you have a gal that has taken some interest in your hobby. (or Addiction?) Having done it both ways, I can tell you that it is a lot more fun having a partner to fly with than not. By all means encourage her to give it a try as well. Maybe start with a good simulator and some gentle encouragement and gradually work up from there as the confidence improves. If you do this, YOU will be the one reaping the rewards! You wll then have someone to help remember the wings for the model that you loaded in the car and almost forgot, have someone to chat with about RC with on the drive out to the field and someone to talk to on the way home on those days when you bring you bird home in a bag! (grin) Combine your flying days with a nice dinner or movie for extra credit. (G) I think that too many men think of women as well women, but they can just as easily be your flying buddy, friend and more. Best of luck!

James Alton

Old 06-28-2009, 06:44 PM
Warbird Joe

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

ORIGINAL: firstplaceaviator

Some of you guys are making me want to find a new wife.
The best piece of advice I can give is - If you get rid of one, DON'T bother getting another! [img][/img]

Mine supports my habit or I mean my hobby but I really like Minn's advice. I wish I would have met Minn, 4 years ago before I remarried. LOL
Old 06-28-2009, 07:31 PM
andernamen
My Feedback: (3)

I have tried it all...be sweet to her, work all week around the house............but come sunday, she will plot (no joke) to find a way to keep me from even mentioning going to the field. I work all week and every other weekend. I don't have any other hobbies, don't hang at bars, and am a cheap ******* that only spends money on coffee during the week. My car is a company car and I do everything I can to keep the hobby costs to a minimum. Most of my stuff is old second hand stuff including all my planes. I do dishes, laundry, help with the cooking. I am not a bump on a log. Unfortunately, I am too easy going and she takes full advantage. As long as I stay married to her, I will have to sneak around, or not fly. I know it is pretty pathetic, but I love my kids and really don't want to just visit with them on the weekends. It is a real dilema cause I would leave my wife in a heartbeat if not for them.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:25 PM
jasprock

My wife gets aggrivated with me after a day of flying because I bring all my airplanes in and put them in the living room. I dont see the problem with this. We have furniture in there that has never been sat on.. infact it still has the tags on it from where we bought it 3 years ago. Nobody ever goes in there and it is way more convenient then lugging it all back upstairs to my room.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:42 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Man, it's starting to sound like this hobby draws in people with seriously dysfunctional families! If any hobby is a major sticking point in your marriage, then you need counseling pronto. It's just recreation after all.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:52 PM
outacntrl

she handles it good....cause its my way or the highway!!!! p.s......... hope she dosent read this
Old 06-28-2009, 10:54 PM
psb667

Most of you guys are pretty lucky to have supportive people who are interested in you being happy so they can be happy. Some on the other hand need to watch pulp fiction. me well im just lucky.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:55 PM
hairy46

I could have collected acorns and she would have hated me for it! Yes I to stayed because I loved my kids and after 10 years of almost walking away daily she left! And thats when my life got so much better! I got to raise my daughters and we was always close and still are! My girls even seemed happier because they had to sit at the table and eat and dad was never asked to eat with them! I worked hard and never got to eat the food she bought with the money I earned. I worked hard I kept the house clean and all the stuff that she could have done because i worked she did not! I spent every minut I could with my girls! Then when she left I had to start my own bussiness and work around my daughters scedule. And before thier mom did her self centered self in with drugs she never paid one dime to my girls! She remarried a drug addict before she died and lived what she thought was the easy life! I am the one that lived the life I wanted and that was to raise my kids. anyone that does not believe in love at first sight never had a child or now grand child! Yes I am alone allot but I am now flying most anytime I want and living happily alone! I would not put myself back in a pair of my old shoes! I have my kids and their husbands and kids to spoil! I do understand why a man stays with a witch because of the kids but happy my witch flew away! Sorry for my kids she did not be a mother to them but they are doing great! I even had a dog come up missing and heard later through a friend of hers she tied it to a tree in the forest way behind our house she was the one dysfunctional! After she left the kids and I started church there mom never wanted us to go when she was home. and we spent time camping and enjoying life! My planes is so nice to work on and fly I am never bored of them! And my kids say i am easy to buy for just get dad a plane or a motor or anything RC! See I raised them right! Bob

Want to keep from crashing? Take off and land higher!
Old 06-28-2009, 11:27 PM
andrew66

ORIGINAL: andernamen

I have tried it all...be sweet to her, work all week around the house............but come sunday, she will plot (no joke) to find a way to keep me from even mentioning going to the field. I work all week and every other weekend. I don't have any other hobbies, don't hang at bars, and am a cheap ******* that only spends money on coffee during the week. My car is a company car and I do everything I can to keep the hobby costs to a minimum. Most of my stuff is old second hand stuff including all my planes. I do dishes, laundry, help with the cooking. I am not a bump on a log. Unfortunately, I am too easy going and she takes full advantage. As long as I stay married to her, I will have to sneak around, or not fly. I know it is pretty pathetic, but I love my kids and really don't want to just visit with them on the weekends. It is a real dilema cause I would leave my wife in a heartbeat if not for them.
Well i dont see my daughter much, cause of how i ended it with my ex. we werent married, so no spousal support. (YAY!) Im not telling you to leave or not leave, but research it. If you play your cards right, and make her leave, you will have the upper hand. I miss my daughter very much, and wish that i could spend every day with her, but I am alot happier now (alot of people noticed it and commented) and it allows me to have a better life. I have to sacrafice a little time now, for more quality time tomorrow. If i am happy with a good career, then i can provide my daughter with all the opportunities in the world. I will never make the same mistakes i did in the past. I may be a slow learner, but at least i learned.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:00 AM
DGUY
My Feedback: (9)

Bob,
I have to say that your situation sounded pretty bad. It seems that what goes around comes around. I know it may have been tough on the girls not having a mother but what would she have brought to their lives, not much and may have done more harm to them than good. My first wife asked for a divorce and I said sure why not. She was a liar and a thief. She took my daughter in the divorce and I can see some of her bad ways have been transfered to her not many but some.
She was twelve when they left and now she is about to be eighteen.The support responsibility to her mother is about to end but I will continue to support my daughter though, just now her mother will not be able to make car payments or spend it on other stuff for herself. It is great that you are a devoted dad so many times we are made out to be the villians when we are not. I have since remarried and I have a loving wife that supports me in what I want to do. I also support her in her interest. My first wife's main things was the TV and she spent a lot of time in front of it. She didn't complain when I wanted to go with my friends to do guy stuff. She encouraged it I even took a 2wk trip out west on my Harley to see the country. After the divorce it came to light why she never complained.... she had herself someone on the side. It didn't bother me at all when I found out because I was free from her. The only resentment I have for her is the fact that she has tried her best I feel to turn our daughter against me and she has to a point. With time just like your situation things with her will get better as she get older and can understand what the truth really is. You sound like you are living life to the fullest and that is whats important. So good luck to you!!!!!!!
Derrick
Old 06-29-2009, 05:16 AM
tenacious101010
My Feedback: (97)

No matter what happens between you and your woman, your kids are ALWAYS YOUR KIDS! Never forget that! Being a dad is a lifelong thing, it never ends till you die. After that, who knows, maybe it continuse still?
Old 06-29-2009, 10:36 AM
hairy46

Thanks guys, I feel so bad about the stuff some of my fellow RC'er has went through or now going though! See that part is over for me, Life began after my marriage ended, I do live life to its fullest! The ones that have a loving supportive wive's I am truely very happy for them! And I know they show thier wives the same kindness! Life is not all about us, matter as fact I never put myself first till my last daughter moved out. I got them raised and I have just enough time to enjoy my planes and my new friend I meet every where at fly-ins. Hey we have all got to admit that the RC folks are the best! I have made many friends right here on RCU and allot of us will meet for the first time at War-birds over the Rockies, Looking forward to it! Thats what the Spitfire is for and the other War-birds I have, love the War-birds! Anyway guys I have been just getting a few things off the chest and thanks for listening, It really is not always the mans fault I really did try very hard to make her happy and could not! She did tell me months before she died that she screwed up and missed out on allot and that she still loved me and I told her do not ever say the love word to me again because she never ever said it once after we married! But anyway I am very happy now! I do hope and pray that all you going through some what the same thing are able to get through it the best that you can! My family, grand kids and yes these airplanes are my life and would not change it! Oh and my dog Ozone is over 13 years old now living the good life not like my poor God bless Lady dog that was tied to a tree to die! That one hurt bad! Good luck guys with your lives they do get a lot better! Bob

Want to keep from crashing? Take off and land higher!
Old 06-29-2009, 12:19 PM
highfly24

ORIGINAL: TomCrump

My wife tolerates the hobby. She likes the fact that she knows where I am, and what I'm doing. She'd rather have me building and flying, than hanging out in bars.

I once had a 1/4 scale biplane displayed on our dining room table. It was there for a year ! It helps that she likes bipes.

In the Summer, I take over the whole garage, as my shop. She parks her new car outside to accomodate this. I also have two rooms in the house, at my disposal. They are decorated to my tastes, with no complaints from the Wife.

Life is good !
I'm not married, but I'm 15 living with my dad and mom. My mom tolorates it too, but she still sometimes complains that we need to spend more time with her, and we try to. We go boating usually one day, and flying the other, unless it is a weekend there is a Fun fly somewhere close by. She started out telling my dad before i was born the he needed a hobby, but now she just calls it an obsession-haha women change i guess. We go a trailer a few years ago to get some of the planes out of the garage, or at least thats what she believed, but right after we got it we bought the rest of someone's planes that they were selling from them and those took up most of the trailer, so not very many left the garage. Now me have about 30-40 planes, only half of them could fly with little work, the others could with a few weeks of work. I have a Great Planes 27% 1.60 Biplane with a DL Engines 50cc on it, and a Hangar 9 27% Extra 260 with a DL 50 on it also, two delta wings, a helicopter, an E-Flite extra 260, a Dave Patrick bipe, two Great Planes U-Can-Do's, an a bunch of junk and tools all laying around in the 6'x12' trailer we have=no walking room. She now says "I don't see, when you say you all have nothing to fly (which sometimes we don't when the two big ones are in the repair shop or aren't charged that day) and there are a ceiling and two walls full of planes", and we're like "Those would take too much time to work on, and unless you want to work on them, then they'll be sitting there for a whole lot longer." Mom-"well why can't you just sell them?" us-"we might get $800 for that entire wall of like 8 or 9 planes because no one would want them." Mom-"whatever, i guess i never will understand this hobby". Us-(mumbling) "i guess not"
Old 06-29-2009, 10:13 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Sounds like some marriages are just bad and the hobby is a nail to hang all that hate on. I do have to be careful not to neglect my wife and daughter because of my hobbies. I have an obsessive personality and will spend 12 hours straight working on an airplane or a gun. I don't deal well with being interrupted either on those days, which adds up to the wife not liking my hobby much. I make it a point to balance things out the best I can though, even if it means going a few weeks with no airplane stuff so that I can take her somewhere or at least contribute to the housework. That seems to work ok, and if the hobby ever really becomes a problem then I'll sell all my stuff and hope to get back into it later on.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:04 AM
DGUY
My Feedback: (9)

I too have an obsessive personality. I will have to be very careful to try and balance family and hobby. This hobby can be addictive and it is. I will get into something and won't quit until I find out it's to late and I have neglected my wife. She is very special and does not deserve that. I will have to keep my focus on what is most important in life. Having fun is a big part of it and I will do my best to get her to be involved in my hobby and I think a lot of times the wives just want you to let them be involved. I know there are some wives that just will not try to understand because it is all about them. If that is true there will be problems.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:32 PM
squeakalong
My Feedback: (8)

After reading these comments I've decided I am REAL LUCKY!!! My bride of 40 years has always been there with me and very supportive of my modeling hobby. When we were first married she was helping to hold the planes while I flew CL. Throughout the years she has been at my side at the flying field on many, many, days. Has attended lots of airshows and has even let me teach her how to fly RC...and she did a great job flying, too! I honestly cannot remember Joyce ever saying I couldn't purchase something I really had my eye on...guess that's why I still have some 25 kits and about 40 sets of plans with LOTS of balsawood in the basement. Heck, I have an RC basement with 5 tables (three projects going right now), a separate room in the basement for my plastic modeling and about 15 or so wooden boat/ship models waiting in yet another room. And you know what? Both she and I are still real pals because I support her and her hobbies just as much as she does mine. We are here for each other and find the time to enjoy both sides of the fence. I always thought that was the way it was supposed to be.

Joe

EDIT: ...and how many of you folks have your wife call you up to find out what you'd like brought to the flying field for lunch? Or, just shows up with a tasty lunch/picnic during her lunch hour? Mine does!!
Old 07-02-2009, 07:58 PM
jasprock

ORIGINAL: squeakalong

After reading these comments I've decided I am REAL LUCKY!!! My bride of 40 years has always been there with me and very supportive of my modeling hobby. When we were first married she was helping to hold the planes while I flew CL. Throughout the years she has been at my side at the flying field on many, many, days. Has attended lots of airshows and has even let me teach her how to fly RC...and she did a great job flying, too! I honestly cannot remember Joyce ever saying I couldn't purchase something I really had my eye on...guess that's why I still have some 25 kits and about 40 sets of plans with LOTS of balsawood in the basement. Heck, I have an RC basement with 5 tables (three projects going right now), a separate room in the basement for my plastic modeling and about 15 or so wooden boat/ship models waiting in yet another room. And you know what? Both she and I are still real pals because I support her and her hobbies just as much as she does mine. We are here for each other and find the time to enjoy both sides of the fence. I always thought that was the way it was supposed to be.

Joe

EDIT: ...and how many of you folks have your wife call you up to find out what you'd like brought to the flying field for lunch? Or, just shows up with a tasty lunch/picnic during her lunch hour? Mine does!!

Wow, that is just awesome.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:29 PM
hairy46

Joe your a very lucky man, Sounds like your wife is your best friend! I reckon my old dog is mine, Great post Joe! it is great to see some found what most looked for, Me foresure done looking! Bob

Want to keep from crashing? take off and land higher!
Old 07-03-2009, 07:17 AM
firstplaceaviator
My Feedback: (27)

You're a lucky man Joe![8D]
Old 07-03-2009, 08:55 AM
squeakalong

Thank you, folks...but, most of all a BIG thank you to my bride. As an example of her ways Joyce just brought down a package delivered from Towers via USPS Priority Mail this morning. She smiled as she handed it to me and wanted to see what I'd ordered. I showed her the Coverite irons, wheels for the Astro-Hog and 1/5th scale instruments. Joyce walked on over to the model I was covering, said a few nice words, and gave me the impression she was pleased with what she saw. Gotta love that woman!

Soft landings

Joe
Old 07-03-2009, 09:38 AM
hairy46

Joe sounds like Joyce is short for joy! Never did I have that kind of woman! I just broke up with a woman a week ago that was always putting me down and said hateful things about my hobby and friends i have made in the hobby! We had darts together and she loves darts, and lots of stuff we did together, spending time with her kids and I do adore her kids and grand kids! But it was getting to the point she would get mad if I spent time with my own kids The last straw was when she said all you do is your hobbies. So I told her she was right and I would sell everything that I had in that hobby and never ever mention darts again! She told me to beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep and that was it! Good riddens! Her kids and grand kids have already been inviting me to dinner and everything else, they even said I am to nice to be with thier mom! They are right because I do pride myself in being nice! I treat people the way I like to be treated! I should have have done this a few years ago, Much happier now! Like I said no way would I marry again! Bob
Old 07-03-2009, 10:19 AM
squeakalong

Bob, here's hoping you come across the right woman. Sometimes it can happen when you're not even expecting it. That's what happened to me some 40 years ago...had a long time girlfriend up and run off with a newly discharged Marine (lots of money and a new Ford Mustang GT500...hard to compete with my 'ole '52 Chevy and shallow pockets at the time). Went to see a friend and Joyce was there. The rest is history. Joyce is first and foremost my friend and then she's my favorite pal. Keep on being kind to others and you may be pleasantly surprised someday.

Soft landings.

Joe
Old 07-03-2009, 01:10 PM
hairy46

Thanks Joe! I do not believe I have a soul mate out there, maybe she died at birth? Lot of it is my fault, I do not drink and have not since a teenager. When you are asked out for a drink and you tell them you do not drink they do not ask again! the lady I was with loved TV and I do not watch an hour a week! Got time for TV got time to build! To me TV is a complete wast of my time! Love sports but listen to them on radio while doing other things! Watch a Bronco game now and then! Do not even like going to the movies rather go to the mountains and we have plenty of them! Use to watch racing on TV now I would rather go to one of the tracks and watch it in person! Rather go on a picnic then go out to eat during the summer! I dated a gal for awhile and we broke up because she hated camping and the outdoors! Thats what Wyoming is is outdoors! So like I said I think its me! I do treat them good! spoil them best I can! But I am not a bar person or a sit at home and watch TV type! Yes I know sometimes when you are not exspecting it things happen! My grand kids our a big part of my life now so it would even be hard to juggle my time between another woman and them! And do not like to here the harsh stuff about this hobby! Bob
Old 07-03-2009, 02:06 PM
LunaSea

she hates it, despises it, loaths it, b!tches about all my plane stuff all over the house... But in the end, she tolerates it because she LOOOOOOOOVES me!!!!! She's a great woman, I am unworthy of her....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.