Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Senior Kadet

Old 06-27-2009, 04:14 PM
Terryh6336
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Senior Kadet

I have just received my new Sig Senior Kadet. I will be using a 4-stroke .70 engine. Any opinions or experience with engine mounted upright or inverted. I was thinking inverted to hide in the cowl. Also maintain a better center of balance or rotation. Please advise.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:08 PM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Senior Kadet

Congratulation you have just choosen one of the best and most successful trainers in the history of RC. Suggest you mount the engine as intended. Inverting will not give you a better anything aerodynamically. There are a host of potential problems you can run into inverting and one of the biggest is dificulties in using an ignitor conviently on the plug and a remote connector presents even more convience problems such as what happens when you want to change, check or clear a plug.

Its the best trainer ever let it do its job and don't get caught up in the common obsession with cowlings that have no holes. The engine must be allowed to do its job it must be allowed to breath and High speed needle valves, low speed needle valves as well as the glow plug needs to be completly accessable from the outside.

John
Old 06-27-2009, 06:21 PM
Augie11

I have to agree with John. You've got a great combo there. Four strokes can be successfully set up to run inverted....I have several. But in a plane like a Kadet it's much easier to set up in the upright position and inverting it won't improve the aerodynamics. Upright is simple, runs cool, easy to apply the glow plug and will idle very well.
Save the challenges of inverted, closed cowl intallation for your first Mustang or P-40.

Enjoy the Kadet!
Old 06-27-2009, 07:30 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

For the most enjoyment keep it simple and mount the engine upright
Old 06-27-2009, 10:24 PM
WCB

Every Kadet Sr. I ever saw had the engine mounted upright.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:32 PM
Terryh6336

Thanks for the great advice. I flew a Senior several time when training. I loved it then and I look forward to flying my own. I will mount upright and enjoy.

Thanks.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:38 PM
TCrafty

You have an incredible combination! I've had two with .91 4-strokes. It'll love the 70 and fly around nice and slow at 1/4 throttle. Great combo, congrats on your new best flying plane. Here's my last one with the 91.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48010.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	559.8 KB
ID:	1226594   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26051.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	645.0 KB
ID:	1226595  
Old 07-08-2009, 05:11 PM
tazzzz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea,,they also make good taildraggers,,,I love mine.