Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

UltraCoat/Monocoat Characteristics?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

UltraCoat/Monocoat Characteristics?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2003, 02:35 AM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default UltraCoat/Monocoat Characteristics?

I have always had and used Ultracoat. I now have a plane that is covered with Monocoat. I have to say, personally, that I find Ultracoat to be superior in nearly every category. But anyway my question deals with monocoat. I am having terrible trouble getting bubbles out of and keeping them out of the Monocoat.

For any of you that have experience with both brands can you tell me if Monocoat generally uses less or more heat than Ultracoat in application and when removing wrinkles.

also I am just imagining it, or does Ultracoat seem to cover and hold tension much better than monocoat.
Old 06-23-2003, 03:29 AM
David Cutler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my experience, Monokote is a higher temperature covering, which is 'harder' than Ultracoat, but shrinks a bit more, with less tendency to melt holes.

Because Ultracoat is 'softer' it goes round corners better, so wing tips are easier to do, but, as I said, Monokote can be heated more with the gun before it melts, and thus get better shrinkage.

Ultracoat also seems to stick to wood better, providing you work out from the center while ironing it on to avoid bubbles.

Ironing Ultracoat needs a soft shoe more than Monokote as it seems to scratch easier, being softer.

As for aging, I reckon there isn't much to choose between them. I have both on old models that have lasted a long time with only occasional re-shrinking.

-David C.
Old 06-23-2003, 06:11 PM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

I agree totally with what has been said so far. I prefer UC as well, but I am going to use some Monokote for trim because it can be set with windex (when used over other covering). There were some great threads on this in the tips forum.
Old 06-24-2003, 07:28 PM
racer-RCU
My Feedback: (14)

When i used monocote it seemed thinner than ultracote. and it got holes in it a hell of a lot faster than ultracote, in fact I have never burned a hole in ultracote, I always did with monocote. So I said the hell with it. I was shocked at how great ultracote was!
Old 06-24-2003, 09:08 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have used monokote since it was invented. I use a ton of heat with it. Never had an iron that would melt it. The heat gun will though. It is a little harder to use, but I like it better. On the flat wood surfaces, start in the center and don't let bubbles get under it. It does tend to sag over time a little more, but I don't find that a problem. I have quite a few that have been sitting for years with no sag. Some of my friends have bad sag problems, but I don't think they put it on with an iron as hot as I use.
Old 06-24-2003, 09:14 PM
pikebishop

I found ultracoat superior in every way IMHO