Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Reviving a LI ION battery??!

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Reviving a LI ION battery??!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 02:31 PM
trpastor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reviving a LI ION battery??!

Hey all - I have heard that you can revive a LI-Ion battery that has been drained too far to charge on a regular LI charger, but hooking it up first to a NIcad charger to get it back to it's minimum charge and then finishing on a LI charger.

Can anyone give me specifics? It's a 2000ma battery. I was going to try .5amp until it reached 4v, then put it on the LI charger

Thanks
Tim
Old 07-01-2009, 04:24 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Reviving a LI ION battery??!

ORIGINAL: trpastor

Hey all - I have heard that you can revive a LI-Ion battery that has been drained too far to charge on a regular LI charger, but hooking it up first to a NIcad charger to get it back to it's minimum charge and then finishing on a LI charger.

Can anyone give me specifics? It's a 2000ma battery. I was going to try .5amp until it reached 4v, then put it on the LI charger

Thanks
Tim
That will probably work. If this is a multicell battery, check the voltage on each cell as you bring it up to voltage and do not let any one cell exceed about 3.6 volts. Once all cells are above 3.6 volts put it on the Li charger. Do be sure and balance again.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:33 AM
larrysogla

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a 3S Lipo airplane that got stuck in a tree for 2 weeks with the receiver turned on. It drained the Lipo completely when I recovered it. I read in some online help forum to put the 3S Lipo on a Nicad/NimH charger until the voltage reached the 10.5 volts minimum that the 3S Lipo/Li Ion charger will recognize and then finish it on a balance Lipo/Li Ion charger. You have to watch constantly the voltage going up(you need a voltmeter for this) when it is hooked up to the Nicad/NimH charger as it has no cut-off voltage and will overcharge and burn up the Lipo. I also charge my Lipo batteries outside in the cement driveway inside a clay flowerpot so as to be safe in case the Lipo is overcharged and catches fire. I successfully recovered/re-charged the lost Lipo and I have been using it for over a year now with NO PROBLEMS.........but you have to be checking constantly with the voltmeter as you recharge with the Nicad/NimH charger to prevent overcharging and burning up the lipo. 'Nuff said.
Thanks and God Bless, always
larry
Old 07-04-2009, 11:33 PM
SpaceCowboy
My Feedback: (2)

What type of lithium Ion battery are you talking about ?
Old 07-05-2009, 12:35 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I had a 2 cell receiver battery - lithium ion - that got left in a plane with the switch on. Lipo charger wouldn't charge it, so I put in on a Nimh charger and charged it at 1C for 10 minutes then switched to the lipo charger for a full balancing charge. Has worked perfectly ever since.

For voltage specifics we need to know more about the battery - #cells, etc.

I charge my lipo's at 1C all the time, so that's what I charged it at on the Nimh charger (in your case, 2amps). 10 minutes would bring it up to 10% capacity. You could try getting to a specific minimum voltage, but I personally would just go in 10 minute increments on a charger at 1C (2amps) and every 10 minutes try with the lipo charger and see if it takes it.