Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Itermediate and Expert?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Itermediate and Expert?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 12:06 AM
rednekk58

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Itermediate and Expert?

Hi All,
Been flying 30 yrs. on and off. All kinds of planes, and a few helis. Full scale too, everything except checkride before running out of cash. 44 hrs with instructor, and 24 solo. Did my X countries.
In RC I've instructed people, mostly friends, build kits, from plans, designed and flown a few from small electric to .60 size. Also have floatplane experience. List myself as an intermediate pilot, cause I've never competed. Not even a Fun-Fly. Like to think I could fly anything. Have owned trainers, low wing, 'lectric ducted fan, pattern, 3D, and waiting for my first gasser to arrive (Yak 54).
What's the difference between "intermediate" and "expert" pilot. Ego? Competition? Sexual Intellect?
Thanks for Opinions
Al
Old 07-02-2009, 06:49 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Itermediate and Expert?

I would think it would come down to how well a person can fly and ability, or how well they can build a plane, or maybe it goes right back to your list of options. Good question. Good Luck, Dave
Old 07-02-2009, 07:04 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you have done all you said, and are comfortable designing, building and flying a plane, I for one, would call you an expert, or at the very least, an "advanced" pilot, but you're way past intermediate.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:27 AM
jetmech05

I guess it is all up to you....generally I find those that call themselves an expert aren't.......true experts don't proclaim themselves as one, it is a title given to them by others.......
Old 07-02-2009, 07:43 AM
rednekk58

Great input. Yup, done all the above. At the club I belong to, if you can fly a figure "8" inverted, your an instructor. I can loop and roll my JR Venture 30, but have trouble hovering nose in. Tried inverted flight a few times. 'Bout a hundred bucks a try. LOL! Planes are all second nature, really don't have to think. Was training a few friends of mine and they get confused when the plane is coming towards them. What used to work for me was I turned around and looked over my shoulder. Though they don't like to do this.
I crash when I start getting cocky and showing off. I was just wondering because I've read people's profiles that say... Flying 3 years, Building 3 years. Then rate themselves as experts. I figure sexual intellects.
I still don't claim to know it all. If I wasn't learning and being challenged, I'd be bored.
The gasser that's being shipped is new to me. Have an "80 H9 cub that spans bigger, but will have to learn about a new kind of engine to me. From what I've read, seems like they take longer to break in. Will have seperate ignition battery. Do I have to worry about radio interferance? I still fly 72. Mhz FM Hitec Eclipse.
Thanks Again
Al
Old 07-02-2009, 08:17 AM
jetmech05

yes you do have to worry about interference.....keep your ignition seperate and away from ships wiring as much as possible...,.use 2 switches one for the ship on one side of the plane and one for ignition on the other side of the plane...I also recommend an optic kill switch on your ignition for 2 reasons...1 kills the ignition in case of a loss of signal.....2 there is no direct wired link between ships system and ignition..instead there is a small fiber optic link....remember as well that glow fuel tubing and tank stoppers don't work on gas...get tygon tubing and a fuel tank stopper for gas
Old 07-02-2009, 08:34 AM
rednekk58

Thanks JM05,
Will have to research "optic kill swtch". Do you have any links? Was going to use a Hitec HS81 for the throttle, and mount it on or behind the firewall. Is that a bad idea as the servo wire will end up in the vicinty of the ign wires, or should I run a (plastic) pushrod? Had a sig Kougar go in on me years ago, because I used a metal clevis on the engine throttle arm. Learned that lesson the hard way, but I never forgot. At $329 for the plane, it will be the most exspensive one I've ever owned. Don't want to make mistakes. I knew about the tygon and a different stopper, but thanks for mentioning it. Have a crank pump good for gas to fuel it with.
Thanks Again
Al Beland
Old 07-02-2009, 12:09 PM
jetmech05

my throttle servo is inside the airplane...but the choke servo is on the engine box off of the firewall......choke servo sure makes life easier and is additonal way to kill the engine.......
You can't always keep the ships wiring from the ignition....but keep it seperate as best you can.....I am running 72 Mhz but I am using PCM......
The link for an optic kill switch is at either Dawg House hobbies or Valley View hobbies...Valley View in Wash state I think....get the 35 buck one, it works well and can be set up to work as your throttle cut as well....another great place for answers to your gasser questions is Don's hobbies out of Salina KS (Pronounced sa-line-a)....all of these hobby shops are outstanding and all are very nice folks
Old 07-02-2009, 12:19 PM
carrellh

I should change my profile to say I'm an expert at everything, then I could become a "Legend in My Own Mind"

There is no part of RC where I think I'm an expert. I'm not a total beginner, and I have learned a lot, so maybe I'm a novice or intermediate at a few things.

I'm not sure I'm an expert at anything. I am really good at certain things but expert seems to be a stretch.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:57 PM
rednekk58

Thanks again JM05,
Did a search here on RCU and read a little about the optic switch. Have a LHS here in town. He lives by the words... "I can order it." He's my brother in-law's brother in-law. Good for 10% off for me. Use him for fuel, props, hardware, fuel, small stuff he has in stock. He loves to play the salesman. Not liked by many. I have a JR Venture .30 size heli. He sells them, but doesn't carry parts. He can order them though! LOL There's alot better one about 20 miles away, with help that knows their stuff. I'll do some more reading and then go talk to them. Was there last week and the guy I was talking to said he has flown gassers before. I'll also do a search for Dawg House and Valley Veiw, and book mark them. Now ya got me thinking of a choke servo. HS 55 servo? Might have to go manual. Running out of channels! LOL!
BTW changed my profile to advanced from intermediate. Ain't never gonna be an expert. Pervert maybe. I'll be hanging 'round the gasser forum more too!
Pretty excited. Always wanted a gasser, finally took the plunge.
Al Beland
PS. JM05 33 yrs building, 6 yrs flying! Bet that first model came out perfect!!! Kidding, you build for others, or you countin' your real job?
PSS. Carrellh, we can all be legends.