Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Looking for an 8 channel 2.4Ghz radio

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Looking for an 8 channel 2.4Ghz radio

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 12:45 PM
BsSmith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for an 8 channel 2.4Ghz radio

I'm looking for an 8 channel 2.4Ghz computer radio. Right now one of the better options seems to be the Airtronics radio, but I did not see what features it has.

I want a radio that...

-Mix channels easily, the plane I'm getting it for needs a few mixes.

-Has a model memory, so when I put other planes on the radio I don't have to retrim them.

-Is reliable, I don't want any more unexplanable crashes.

-Is inexpensive.

-Has some sort of deal with it, such as a free reciever or discounted servos.

Does anybody have experience with Airtronics transmitters or any others that fit all of these?

Old 07-13-2009, 12:55 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Looking for an 8 channel 2.4Ghz radio

There is "looooooong" thread concerning the Airtronics RDs8000, in the radio forum. So far most opinions are very positive. Like any product, it's not perfect, though the problems encountered do not seem to have claimed more than a couple of aircraft. Mostly a loss of the transmitter function when switching on, and a loss aileron control, also when turned on. I think there was one case of a failure in flight. All other were on the ground, and quickly addressed by Airtronics, not swept under the rug, like some others.
I bought one and could not be more happy. It's super easy to program, and has a rock solid connection.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:56 PM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BsSmith,

I fly the Airtronics RDS8000 and it has all your looking for with a 10 model memory. I don't know of any other radio that comes with a free RX. I use this radio on everything from my electrics to a Rascal 110 with a G26 gasser. Tower has them for $224.99. Here are the features.

FEATURES: FHSS (Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum) 2.4GHz communications
technology insures pilot never has to worry about an open frequency
Airplane, sailplane and helicopter programming with model type
selection, ten model memory, center adjustment on all channels and
more
One year limited warranty
Aircraft Features-
Landing Differential
Trim Authority for Digital Trims
Crow
Integral System Timer
Dual Rate Alarm
Delta Mix
Two Compensation Mixers and more
Helicopter Features-
Throttle Cut
5 Point Pitch Curve in all Modes
Gyro Sensitivity Adjustment in all Modes
Revo Mix in all Modes
Dynamic Trim Memory and much more

INCLUDES: RDS8000 Transmitter
S8N-700 9.6V 700mAh Transmitter Battery
95033Z TX, RX Wall Charger, AIRM4100
Two 92824 2.4GHz 8 Channel Receivers, AIRL8524
On/Off Switch, AIRM3000
Instruction Manual

REQUIRES: Servos of modeler's choice

SPECS: Transmitter-
Dimensions: 7.5 x 8.0 x 2.5" (190 x 203 x 63mm)
Weight: 1 lb 11 oz (765g)
Power Output: 90 m watts
Frequencies: 2.4GHz
Power Supply: 9.6V, NiCD
Current Drain: 180 MA
Temperature Range: 0-160° F
Pulse Width: 1.5 ms (nominal)
Model Memory: 10
Receiver-
Dimensions: 1.85 x 1.08 x 0.61" (47 x 27 x 15mm)
Weight: 0.53oz (15g)
Power Supply: Four cell, 4.8V

Old 07-13-2009, 12:58 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's the link to the thread: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6259443/tm.htm
I love mine.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:15 PM
carrellh

ORIGINAL: BsSmith
I'm looking for an 8 channel 2.4Ghz computer radio.
If it absolutely MUST be 8 channels, and not more than 8, I think your only choice is the Airtronics. Futaba has the 8FGA coming but the estimated time frame is 'Late September.'

The "deal" is a second receiver at no extra charge. Price $224.99, $20 discount using code 44w55 (as of 7/13/09, do not know how long it will be offered), free shipping http://www3.omnimodels.com/cgi-bin/w...I=AIRJ8710&P=0
Old 07-13-2009, 09:05 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hobby People have it on sale now and then for $199.99 with (2) Rx's. About the same price from tower if you do the super saver club and the $40.00 off and free shipping.

I have (2) RDS8000 radios. They are sup duper great radios. I fly from small 3 channel park fliers to 1.20 Fs aerobatic planes. Never had an issue.

Dru.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:07 PM
BsSmith

Another quick question...

Is it possible to get a flap dial on the Airtronics radio? I don't think the one I saw had one, but I only looked at it for a few seconds.

If it absolutely MUST be 8 channels, and not more than 8, I think your only choice is the Airtronics. Futaba has the 8FGA coming but the estimated time frame is 'Late September.'
It has to be at least 8 channels, a 9 or 10 channel would work too if it were similarly priced.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:44 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Atx radio does not have a dial, just a 3 position flap switch.

The 9 and 10 channel radios are in the $500 to $650 range and have a lot more features and customization.

Tower has the ATX 8 channel and gives discounts, and also free shipping to super saver members (totally worth it).

The ATX has a lot of mixes already built in and is very easy to use.

The ATX 8 channel forces you to setup your aileron end points manually (geometrically) as it does not have independent aileron endpoint adjustment. For dual rates on the rudder you need to use one of the C-mixes and slave the rudder to itself. It does not have expo on the rudder.

Recievers are the most inexpensive on the market and are super easy to bind. Only one small receiver in the plane with two small antenna to mount. No 'brown outs' due to low voltage like the JR stuff. Customer service and the ATX reps are super friendly and knowledgeable.

I will be buying the ATX SD-10G for competition flying as I have had a positive experience overall with my radio, despite it lacking the above mentioned features which I need for pattern flying.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:29 AM
jetmech05

why not look at the JR 9303 one more channel can't hurt ya
Old 07-14-2009, 10:29 AM
BsSmith

Are there any limitations for the channel assignments for the RDS8000? I will need a flap and landing gear channel, but also a dive brake and bomb drop channel. I'm worried about the dive brake channel, because there will be 5 servos in that channel and 3 of them are the flap servos, which will need to be mixed in.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:56 PM
skysfallin
My Feedback: (10)

I asked all the same questions you did when looking for an 8 channel radio. I ended up with the Airtronics 8000 and havent looked back. It does everything I wanted it to do and have never had a single glitch. I now have two of them. If you watch the Hobby People price it goes up and down almost weekly, but you can usually catch it for 199.00. I like the two recievers also.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:47 PM
Mode One

ORIGINAL: jetmech05

why not look at the JR 9303 one more channel can't hurt ya
One more channel and $400.00 more in cost and only one receiver!

I have the Airtronics RDS8000, it's a great set-up and will do all that your looking for BsSmith except it doesn't have dual rate on rudder (is this even a problem?).

Old 07-15-2009, 07:34 AM
Mode One

If your worried about Airtonics equipment from a quality stand point, don't! Airtronics' quality and reliability is second to no one. If intuitive operation is a point of contention, Airtronics set-ups are better then Futaba and as easy as JR. You still will need the manual on many occasions; but, once learned the processes most used, become easy to understand and remember. Longevity in this hobby? Sanwa and Airtronics may not have been around as long as Futaba,; but, I believe is longer then JR.

The only reason not to buy Airtronics (in my opinion) is Airtronics doesn't have the name recognition that Futaba and JR have. So, what does this mean? In the mid 1980s Airtronics had very strong name recognition. This was at a period when many US and Canadian R/C system manufacturers were closing their doors, unable to compete with the Futaba and Airtronics (Japanese manufacturers) who offered Dual rates, Expo, servo reverse, end point adjustment and etc.. The Airtronics Championship Series 7 Channel radios was an industry leader at that time. I'm uncertain why Airtronics slide downhill after this; However, I have owned Airtronics since Kraft radios went out of business and have been extremely happy with them! I'll put up with the occasional gybe remark about the Airtronics Cult from the people who must have the name dropping industry leaders which in reality are no better then my faithful trusty Airtronics! So, take a step away from the herd and buy an Airtronics radio, you'll be glad you did!