Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

High speed touch and gos

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

High speed touch and gos

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2002, 05:22 AM
RC Pilot56
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High speed touch and gos

Has anybody out there tried doing high speed touch and gos?
I have a 48" wing span scratch built stick which is one nasty lil bugger when you slow it down. It only weighs about 3 1/2 lbs.
So I decided one day to try doing a touch & go at full throtle. It has a .25 Thunder Tiger on it and does every bit of 80mph.
Any way I tried several times to no avail until I gave it a click or two of down trim so it would sink on approach. What a rush, here I come wide open and she's sinking and I'm flairing nice and easy till the main gear touch. By the way it is a taildragger. Now when I start my lil stick up everybody has a seat to watch. I wonder if it is because they are taking bets on if I make a clean one or if I crash. What the heck I rather do high speed T&G's then fly into a cloud now a days.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	6990_6187.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	5048  
Old 03-28-2002, 01:02 PM
Taildragger
My Feedback: (204)

There used to be a guy that came to the Tulsa Gluedobbers giant meet with a large Stinger that done High speed touch and go's all the time. Fun to watch!
Old 03-28-2002, 06:38 PM
rcav8or
My Feedback: (5)

Actually, I have done quite a few high speed "touch and tumbles"...do these count??

The fun-fly's do some fairly high speed touch and goes, as a rule. Not always by choice!!

I have seen some guys down at the field doing high speed passes, inverted, seeing who could touch the top of the rudder. Or maybe it was seeing who could get the closest WITHOUT hitting the rudder...either way, the result was the same!!!

some of the unlimited combats practice flying several inches off the deck, as well. It helps when someone is chasing you...I have seen them come back with weeds stuck to the plane in various places...

So yes, high speed touch and goes are very much a part of flying, but remember, do it safely, and well away from spectators...
Old 03-29-2002, 02:55 AM
Dave Barrow-RCU

We had a club member who had a sixty size stand off scale P-40, he would do high speed touch and go's with. Once upon lifting off after running the full length of the runway, his tires departed the rims, one flew to each side of the runway. Funniest thing I've ever seen, he had to land on the plastic rims.
Old 04-19-2002, 12:08 PM
CaptKAOS
My Feedback: (7)

yep....been there...done that too...with a .20 size Stik with a .25 FP on it..... Then....one day...I did a touch and........NO GO....
The engine kept going...the plane kinda fluttered....

'Tis fun...but do it safely.....and definitely away from spectators...
and NEVER try and catch a plane......good way to end up hurt or worse....dead....
Old 04-19-2002, 04:16 PM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

having that down trim is the best way to do it, its so easy to stop it diving with a bit of up stick, but sooooooo hard to push down on the stick, its not easy anyway to make it touch, more so with low wing, at that speed the airflow is in ground effect and acts like a cussion
Old 04-21-2002, 03:23 PM
KC10Chief

I used to do high speed inverted passes with my Sig Somethin' Extra and would bump the top of the rudder on the runway. Another time I was diving towards the ground and pulled up too late. It went down in the tall grass and I gave it power and pulled up hard. It came out engine running with grass hanging off of it everywhere. One clump even had the dirt attached to the bottom. Pretty funny. Then the plane met its doom one day flying straight and level when it met another plane head on. NEver saw it coming. A Somethin' Extra makes a sickening sound when it gets crushed. Wings were bags of balsa chunks. Matt
Old 04-21-2002, 06:01 PM
rvd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

High speed touch n go's are a normal part of my flying routine every time i fly. I should post some vids up.. I got some good videos of my 100mph touch n go's..
My buddies think i'm stupid for doing it but if you have 110% control of your airplane then ther isn't a problem..

you can see the plane i use on my site.,. it's the red plane at the bottom i scrathed built with 50inch sukhoi wing powered by a .61 O.S .

lots of fun
Old 04-21-2002, 10:55 PM
Mike James

Default Yep

I've done some, by accident.

When I got my first real Pattern plane years ago, it was a ModelTech (Hanno Prettner design) "Calypso", and I was used to flying much draggier planes. There were some occasions when my loooooong approach was still way too hot, and after dragging the retracts through the rocks, had to go around.

(This was my fault, not the plane's. It can be slowed down nicely, but at that time, the size scared me into thinking that it needed a lot more energy to fly.)
Old 04-25-2002, 12:36 AM
Flying Scotsman

Default Touch and Go

My instructor at my old club in New Orleans is a master of high speed touch and go's. It's amazing to watch a stick coming in at that sort of speed, although I'm too chicken to try it myself . Of course, he only did these when no-one else was flying - a true star!

And who says Sticks are ugly? They're beautiful birds!
Old 04-25-2002, 01:03 AM
RC Pilot56

Default Re: Touch and Go

Originally posted by Flying Scotsman
My instructor at my old club in New Orleans is a master of high speed touch and go's. It's amazing to watch a stick coming in at that sort of speed, although I'm too chicken to try it myself . Of course, he only did these when no-one else was flying - a true star!

And who says Sticks are ugly? They're beautiful birds!

Would this happen to be Steven?

Huey
Old 04-25-2002, 01:45 AM
RC Pilot56

Hey Flying Scotsman,
What club in New Orleans were you refering to, and who was you flight instructor?
I fly with the NOMAC club (new orleans model aviation club) in Avondale, La. just outside New Orleans.
Old 04-25-2002, 01:46 AM
Flying Scotsman

Default Hello Huey

Yip, it's me. Believe it or not but when I first read your post, it brought back memories of you and Pascal tearing down the run way in tight fighter-style formation... I wish I had a camera that day. And of Pascal flying below the branches then up through them (for the 2nd time) and getting away with it...Both were brillant displays of skillful flying that I will never be able to replicate!

Thanks to this forum I can still keep in contact with members of NOMAC.

I joined a club in Houston

http://www.bcflyers.com/sys-tmpl/door/ ....it's a good club but we (Sarah too) miss our weekends at Kelly Field. My weekend of flying at Bayou City Flyers lasted all of 10 seconds! The engine went dead stick on me just as I took off. I landed the trainer without one bounce I might add and went over to inspect the plane. I spotted drips of fuel or water next to the firewall - turned out that my fuel stopper came out and spilled fuel inside the plane, hence the dead stick. I cleaned up and headed back home in a sulk but to cheer myself up, I stopped by a hobby store and bought myself a 2nd hand GP Ugly Stick (just like your one). All it needed was an engine and servos so I stripped the trainer of it's servos and receiver (they didn't get wet at all from the leaking tank) and re-installed them into the stick. I was already halfway through building a H9 Ultra Stick .40 and had bought myself an OS 50SX Ring engine for the Ultra Stick but instead I decided to install the engine in the Ugly Stick. I broke the engine in last weekend and flew the GP Stick (gets confusing with all these sticks around )and it flies like, like, well, like a stick! Marvelous....I just love this hobby but it was the inspiration and the enthusiam of the guys at NOMAC that made me this way :spinnyeye

I just can't wait to get the Ultra Stick built and flying! I just need another engine
Zoom, Zoom, Zoom!

Take Care and if you can, please print this off and pass it onto Pascal and Kenny. The next time I come down to New Orleans, I will make sure it is on a Friday so that I can come to the field on the Saturday.

Steven
Old 04-25-2002, 01:54 AM
RC Pilot56

Who ever would have thought I would be running into you here.
Now that you have two planes it's time for Sarah to learn to fly!
Can I still send E-Mail to the "boozer" name you last e-mailed the gang?
Old 04-29-2002, 01:15 PM
Jeff396
My Feedback: (1)

This is my all time favorite thing to do and nobody at my field seems to understand it. There's just something about the rush you get when you're inches off the ground at full throttle and that little plume of dust you kick up when you wheels barely touch the ground. I was doing that this weekend with my GP Extra 300s arf having a good old time. Unfortunately, I was a little off line with the runway and hit the 8 inch high grass just beyond. Grabbed my wheels and drove me down into the ground hard enough to shear off the muffler bolts. Anyway, wing kit, cowl and wheel pants and I'll be good to go. Funny thing was that it didn't even break my prop! I know a lot of people get upset when they put a plane in but for me it's all just part of the excitement. Of course I will stick to doing this with the relatively cheaper planes

Jeff
Old 04-29-2002, 08:31 PM
ReallyUglyStick
My Feedback: (5)

i've got flatspots on my wheels from high speed touch and goes. they used to make a "screech" sound when i would touch down, but that was actually the rim screeching on the axle, not the tire. sounded good, though.
Old 04-30-2002, 11:02 PM
F900
My Feedback: (2)

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

yep been there and still doing it
Old 08-31-2002, 03:11 AM
RC Pilot56

Default Hi speed touch and go.s

Well guys I had a high speed touch and stop going with a 15 mph downwind not long ago, but after a lil pica aliphatic glue on both sides of the foam wing I'm pleased to say I'm at it again. And to think this wing is covered with a brown paper bag and fuel proofed with water base minwax polycrylic. Would you belive that foam makes a loud sound when it breaks at 80 mph and 25 yards away?
Old 09-05-2002, 11:23 PM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How stupid am I???

It's amazing what you'll do when all the guy's in the pitts are yelling and applauding while your flying. Thus was the case when I was doing low wide open passes with my H9 PT-19 with a G-23 (my first gasser).
Lower, lower was the usual cat-calls followed by "chicken" insults so on the fifth pass at WOT I put the Robarts on the runway just as slick as you please, ran all the way down the runway tail high and lifted off, it was great.
Second attempt, did the same thing, I was so pleased with myself that I was able to do it again and for the second time the pits erupted in cheers. However, this time, I was so full of myself I got distracted for a second by all the admiration, got to the end of the runway sooner than I expected and rotated too late.
As soon as the tires hit the dirt she nosed over and slid 15 yards in a cloud of dust. Ya should have heard the cheers then!
Old 09-07-2002, 08:28 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I love doing high speed inverted passes with my Joss Stick. The plane is heavy and flies like a turd. So the inverted high speed pass is about the most fun I can have with it.

I used to have an OS120 Surpass on it. Ran a 15-6 APC on it. I used to come in high and inverted, then pull back a little and approach the runway. I'd line it up and come ripping down the runway at full throttle and inverted. I only did it when I was alone on the flighline. I always got the cheers and cat-calls from the pits. The usuall stuff, " Is that all the lower you can get that brick?" and my favorite, "I can't hear the rudder scraping asphalt yet, lower you chicken."

I never crashed the plane. I still have it, but it's waiting for a new engine, and it needs a SERIOUS diet. I don't know what happened to the plane, but it weighs 10 pounds. Built it per the book, just turned it over and made it a low wing taildragger. But it just came out heavy.

I'll have to try a high speed pass with the wheels down someday. It sounds like a lot of fun.

We were having a fun fly event one day and I was flying an old 60 size Bingo. (looks kinda like a 4*60). We were doing low passes under some crate paper that was held over the runway on poles. (Can you say LIMBO?) Well, being the show-off and ham that I am; I decided to do it inverted when the paper was about 4 feet off the runway. I came in full throttle and inverted, just screaming down the runway, and I splattered my plane all over the asphalt. I didn't push down enough. It just sorta came down slowly and skidded down the runway on the valve-cover of a TT91. I ruined the motor and plane both. I did get a lot of applause though. Does that count?
Old 09-07-2002, 11:25 PM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default More...

I just got back from the field where I was doing WOT T&G's with my GP Spacewalker/YS-91(well, almost WOT) I was board but it got interesting in a hurry. NO SWET!

I wont do this with a plane thats not expendable.
Old 09-08-2002, 12:34 AM
RC Pilot56

RCpilet, they all count. If you have the _____ to try it then it counts in my book. I have a friend that's moving from
south Louisiana to Kansas because of work.He and I push each other to see will do the lowest pass over the runway without touching the rudder. Two weeks ago I made a pass about an inch or two and got alot of compliments on it. As I told the gang that the next time I make one that low I will have a kitchen match glued in the vertical stab and I'm gonna light the match on the runway, and you know what? I think it can be done. I'll let you know when it happenes!