Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Dave Patrick 540T Edge

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Dave Patrick 540T Edge

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2003, 04:34 PM
waltermitty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dave Patrick 540T Edge

Help! Am putting together new DP 540T Edge. Would appreciate
ans to any of the following: 1) Using the pull/pull elevs recc on
pg 12 of manual, any variation between distance traveled on
right and left elevators esp at full deflection? 2) Am using Moki
1.8 with cline pump, fuel tank at CG and pull/pull rud and elevs.
How will this balance? 3) What fuel tank size will I need for 15
min of IMAC sequence on FAI fuel? 4) Where should I tap the
Moki crankcase for the cline pump press takeoff? 5) What prop
options do I have? DP recc a 20x6. What rpm will I get at sea
level and static full throttle with either the J Zinger or the Mejlick
hollow carbon fiber (only 20x6's I have found so far)? 6) The high
speed needle valve barely sticks out of the cowl. It has no provision for the normal set-screw and socket to extend the shaft.
How is the best way to add length to the shaft? 7) How does it
fly???
Old 04-16-2003, 06:44 AM
clbrown0

For my Moki 2.1 I soldered a nut to the needle valve, and use a nut driver to make any adjustments.
Old 05-12-2003, 02:42 PM
Cheech
My Feedback: (19)

I too am assembling the Edge with the Moki 1.8 . I mounted the engine yesterday.

Using the pull/pull elevs recc on
pg 12 of manual, any variation between distance traveled on
right and left elevators esp at full deflection?

I too want to know about this. The rudder I can figure out and ATV or DR for it. But what about the elevator halves? Won't one end up having a little more excursion than the other?

What fuel tank size will I need for 15
min of IMAC sequence on FAI fuel?

I ran the Moki of mine in a SIG 300 XS and used a 24oz tank - on the cg. Full throttle the 1.8 will consume 2 oz/minute. You'll easy get a 15 minute flight out of it. I am putting the 24 oz tank in this edge.

Where should I tap the
Moki crankcase for the cline pump press takeoff?

You may not need it. I bought one for my Extra. I was running a "CG'd tank" using 1.8 in the Extra. I never needed it at all. In any attitude and any throttle setting, that engine was 100% there for me.

What prop
options do I have?

I used the 19x8 carbon fiber Mezjlik. I cracked that prop crashing the Sig Extra. I have ordered another one. I have also used the 18x8 APC as a break in and backup prop.

What rpm will I get at sea
level and static full throttle

On 15% nitro on a 65 degree day the Moki spins my Mezjlik 19x8 at 7750RPM. I could use lower nitro, but this is what I run in everything. It fires fine on it with no detonation or pre-ignition of any kind.

How is the best way to add length to the shaft?
Mine is drilled from the end to accept wire. It's drilled and tapped in the side to accept a 2-56 set screw.

-Cheech
Old 07-04-2003, 02:10 AM
waltermitty

Default Dave Patrick Edge

Thanks for the info guys. One more question - where does the
Dave Patrick Edge balance for IMAC sequences? I have heard
that the 6 in from leading edge results in tail heavy and that
better performance is anywhere from 4 in to 5 inches from
leading edge. I am using a Moki 1.8 with cline pump and 24 oz
tank at the cg. Have also been told that this setup works well
with the Mejlick 19-7.
Old 07-04-2003, 04:23 AM
Kelly D

I have the same plane, but with a DA-50. Balance is balace, so regardless of engine, balance point will be the same. I initially balanced my plane @ 6" back of the leading edge, per the instructions. I nearly 're-kitted' the plane as it was so tail heavy. I moved my battery packs forward and was able to balance the plane at about 5" back. It flew much, much better, so I strongly recommend starting @ 5" and working from there as it was very friendly. Definately don't start off @ 6" back. Infact, 5" is now what Dave Patrick recommends on his website.
Old 07-06-2003, 03:52 PM
waltermitty

Default Dave Patrick Edge

Thanks Kelly. I have contacted three other DP Edge pilots and
all are balancing more forward than 6 inches from the leading
edge. These pilots are balancing at 4, 4.75 and 5.25 - take
your pick. The consensus is that at 6, you may loose your plane!
I think I will start at 4.75 and keep my fingers crossed.
Old 07-06-2003, 09:52 PM
Kelly D

Yes, bottom line is DO NOT BALANCE AT 6" !!!. Even the DP website advises against it now. I flew mine @ 6" and it was truly EVIL.... Almost didn't get mine back
Old 07-08-2003, 01:04 AM
hotrod468
My Feedback: (3)

Default FIREWALL

Hey all,
This is Not To Burst a Bubble that is not what i am doing just a word of warning. First yes 6" cg might be at 30% of the cord but does not fly as well there. Second since you have already purchased it a word of warning. If you would like to continue to fly it after your setup is complete make sure the firewall is checked very well or even glass it. I will have to say it does perform quite well the problem is customer support. In my 540 the 4th flight the firewall came lose and pulled the choke killing the motor i was able to recover it with minor tree damage being to far from the runway you may not be so lucky with a glow motor. the problem is the support system first i e-mailed Dave with no response so i called to get an answering machine and on my third try i did send a fax explaining the trouble contacting him and the defect in the firewall. When i sent the fax i got a call in 5 min. or less and all he wanted to address was the fact that i was unhappy that i could not contact him for support. After about 5 more min. of getting *****ed out i had to tell him i would not argue with him about the way he responded to me and i did have a defect in my firewall. He told me to ship the fuse to him at my cost and he would examine it for defects. Later i did not send it to him because they way Dave sounded, this was not going to be a warranty item because it had a gas motor not a glow. So i did fax a letter and e-mail pictures with again no response this was 2 weeks ago.
Old 07-08-2003, 04:13 PM
clbrown0

I agree with you on the defect. I had a dead stick landing, and the firewall came apart from the fuse. After examining the firewall there was very little glue use to support it to the fuse.
Old 07-10-2003, 11:08 PM
donhamp

Where is it comming apart? At the firewall itself or is the motor box comming out of the fuse entirely? You said you have some pics, I'd be more than greatful if I could see them. I have my DA50 mounted but I haven't had time to do anything with it. I'd like to take care of this before it's a problem...

Thanks,