Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Muffler Performance???

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Muffler Performance???

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 10:30 PM
mcculloughrg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Muffler Performance???

Any Suggestions?
I Have an OS MAX .46LA Engine for my Kadet LT-40 I want about 1000-1500 more rpm. I've heard the stock muffler isn't helping me out. What muffler should I switch to. I'd like to keep it under $30 if possible. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Rich
Old 07-22-2009, 12:42 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Muffler Performance???

What prop are you using, and what do you want to gain from the increased RPM? Just asking because there may be other solutions.

1500rpm is a lot to ask from a $30 muffler. I know people are gaining some RPM using the TH .46 muffler.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:41 AM
huggins

Taking the baffle out of the stock muffler will help boost the rpm. Probably not 1000-1500 rpm though.

Mike
Old 07-22-2009, 07:29 AM
jetmech05

I just don't think you're going to get another 1000 to 1500 RPM out of that motor even if you changed prop, muffler, and modified the ports.....modifing the ports voids any warrenties......when you're already turning over 10 k at full throttle you're wanting a 10 to 15 % increase thats a lot
Old 07-22-2009, 08:22 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: mcculloughrg

Any Suggestions?
I Have an OS MAX .46LA Engine for my Kadet LT-40 I want about 1000-1500 more rpm. I've heard the stock muffler isn't helping me out. What muffler should I switch to. I'd like to keep it under $30 if possible. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Rich

Try different props. Shorter by one inch ones give that much rpm increase. One step less pitch usually does as well.

What're you after? Kadets aren't speedy planes and the 46 you're using pulls very well on the one Kadet/46LA I've seen. The guy tried a couple of different props on his. I think he's using a Graupner (no surprise).
Old 07-23-2009, 12:21 AM
mcculloughrg

I am using an 11-6 prop, I am switching to a 11-7. The 10-6 didn't work as good for me as the 11's. You're right the kadet isn't meant for speed. It's low and slow I just wanted to pick up the pace a little without going out and spend more money right now. Thats down the road. I'm in Colorado where the air is a little thin and it's just a little too slow. I am going to switch fuels from 10% to 15% nitro. I was going to take out the baffle as you mentioned but wasn't sure what would happen if I did. As far as the warranty goes, I'm not concerned. This specific engine's rpm is rated from 2000 rpm to 16000, I figured i could get another 1000 but maybe not. Granted i also don't know what it's running at now for top rpm, it just doesn't seem like i'm getting full rpm, everyone that listens to it asks if it's tuned properly, and it is, they all say it doesn't seem like it's running at a high enough rpm.
Thanks again,
Rich
Old 07-23-2009, 12:51 AM
larrysogla

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Borrow a tachometer and get the RPM reading on the different prop sizes and pitches............that way you can accurately see the differences............positive or negative. Instead of relying on unreliable ear tuning. 'Nuff said.
larrysogla
Old 07-23-2009, 01:09 AM
anuthabubba
My Feedback: (102)

Rich,

The 11~7 will turn slower than the 11~6.

Click on this link http://www.spadtothebone.com/SPAD/Mufflers/ and follow the instructions if you are handy with tools. Your LA has a similar muffler to the Irvine. The mod is cheap and increases power.

Also, I read that people like the APC 12.25~3.75 prop on their 46s.

Terry in LP
Old 07-23-2009, 06:31 AM
tryan02

Dont think the increase in fuel will be that much more noticeable with only 5% increase but all the stuff together prop size, tuned muffler, and fuel will definitely help. I run 15% in all my planes ran 15% in my heli an OS32 I was always leaning it way out to get good performance and getting the motor too hot for my taste. I switched to 30% yes I got a little more performance but with the 30% I had to run so much richer it gets to the point of almost flooding the little os32 with oil. But hey the engine runs super cool so thats where I am leaving it.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:43 PM
mcculloughrg

I will check into all of your ideas, Thanks again for the tips
Rich