Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Sig on TowerHobbies

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Sig on TowerHobbies

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 02:21 PM
qwertypemdas
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig on TowerHobbies

TowerHobbies has dropped most of the Sig products and said "discontinued" so I emailed Sig. Sig is not going out of business but tower just decided to stop carrying there stuff. I was worried because I love Sig. You can buy any Sig kit or product at sigmfg.com or advantagehobby. Just a heads up.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:14 PM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Sig on TowerHobbies

I, too, love their kits, but you should go to the "ARF or RTF" and read some of the threads about the poor quality of some of SIG's ARFs. I just bought their Four Star 120 ARF and had to uncover it, glue it together, and then recover. Several other posters lost their planes when they came apart in flight.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:46 PM
Don41

ORIGINAL: airbusdrvr

I, too, love their kits, but you should go to the ''ARF or RTF'' and read some of the threads about the poor quality of some of SIG's ARFs. I just bought their Four Star 120 ARF and had to uncover it, glue it together, and then recover. Several other posters lost their planes when they came apart in flight.
I thought the Sig 1/5 Cub kit I recently built was several cuts above other brands I have built over the years but I too had a bad experience with the Four Star 120 arf. I had to repair substantial packing (not shipment) damage to the rear fuselage and while I had it open I was a little dismayed at some of the construction.

I had mistakenly believed that Sig's name on an arf would mean quality (not so). When Sig sent me the necessary film to repair the plane I discovered that the plane was covered in film meant for small planes. So much for spending WAY too much for an arf.

Even so, Sig is still my first choice for any kit planes I build. However, should I ever lose my mind again, and go with an arf, I'll save the money and buy the cheapest Chinese piece of junk I can find.

Regards
Old 08-10-2009, 07:26 PM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Hangar 9 J-3 ARF that is still flying strongly after more than three years. Guys at my field are also happy with Great Planes and Top Flite. I'm sure there are some good ones out there. Unfortunately, SIG chose a Chinese manufacturer(World Models, I've heard) that does not always glue them together properly. And what is a shame for the SIG name is that someone at SIG has made the decision to continue selling these ARFs with known problems. Many responders in the "ARF and RTF" report SIG replaced their faulty ARF with another one. Were I SIG, I would find another builder for my ARFs and clearnace sale the defective ones at a reduced price. There are people like me that would take the time to uncover it, glue it back properly and then fly it. SIG's reputation and good name would remain. Just my two cents worth.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:08 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You would think wouldn't you!!! When H-9 was having problems with there Stick it didn't take long for them to get the problem corrected!!
Old 08-10-2009, 09:12 PM
qwertypemdas
My Feedback: (1)

hmmm. I never had a sig arf. but their kits rock
Old 08-10-2009, 09:47 PM
andrew66

I have also heard that SIG arfs and some kits are hard to get here in Canada. Are they thinking about just having planes available through themselves.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:03 PM
huck1199

I read awhile back that Sig lost some of its staff due to death\illness and one fellow was their Asian Liason. This may have something to do with the quality control at the Asian plants.