Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Adding a GYRO to an airplane

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Adding a GYRO to an airplane

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 01:20 PM
jumbojett
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding a GYRO to an airplane

Any one ever add a gyro to a plane?? I was wondering if this would help with getting straiter takeoffs? Let me know if this is a good idea or if anyone as any better one.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:51 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts
Default RE: Adding a GYRO to an airplane

There's a thread with pages of information on it somewhere, I'll see if I can find the link.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:59 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts

Here you go

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_60...tm.htm#6056543
Old 08-12-2009, 02:09 PM
Villa

Hi jumbojett
I think it is more interesting and fun to experiment/learn what is needed to get the plane to go straight down the runway under the control of the pilot. That is one of the simpler problems to solve in our hobby.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:58 PM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

I respectfully disagree; I had a Decathlon that was totally unruly on the ground; I spent more time trying to get a decent straight roll out on take off, that I dreaded flying the thing; I put a Gyro in it and it was such a breeze to take off after that, it is now one of my more favorite planes to fly, because I don't have to worry and get stressed out by the take off, which I might add before the Gyro, I had many aborted take offs, ground loops, etc. put a Gyro in your plane and enjoy the plane after that, some will tell you, like they told me, that its cheating using a Gyro, I could care less; nothing is more enjoyable then seeing your plane take off down the runway staight as an arrow, and you can concentrate on elevator control for the coolest, scale climb outs; I have other tail draggers that do not have or need Gyros, I get plenty of practise with rudder control on take offs, I'm just a believer in putting them on planes that are out of control on the ground, and by the way, the minute the plane is airbourne, I turn the Gyro off; my 2 cebts worth.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:43 AM
beepee

dasintex,

I feel EXACTLY the same way, and have had the same experience. My Decathlon was not the problem, but I have a short coupled bipe that would put my sphincter into spasms every time, until I put a gyro in it. I have mine connected to the gear switch as it is not wise to fly continually with the gyro on. Great for crosswind landings too.

Bedford