Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

The New Evolution Engine?

Old 06-26-2003, 09:09 PM
highflyer353535
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default The New Evolution Engine?

hi, just curious does anyone own one of the new evolution 2 troke engines? do they perform as well as they advertise thanks
Old 06-27-2003, 02:33 AM
Dzlstunter

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have a son who lives on the other side of the country from me who just walked into a hobby shop and ordered the whole "package." He followed the directions and took the completed thing out to a local club field for help. The old pros there were amazed the at the thing started right up as set from the factory and as advertised. In fact, they were a bit frustrated to learn that it was designed to prevent their fiddling with the needle settings. He learned to fly on that airplane in a couple of weeks--never crashing it. The engine and prop are set very mildly for max "low gear" pulling and reliable running. He was impressed (and surprised). A single case does not a study make, however. Dzl
Old 06-27-2003, 03:15 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am currently working on a review of the Evolution for RCU magazine. It should be up in a few weeks.
Old 06-30-2003, 04:25 PM
a68fan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've had a H9 "Alpha" trainer for a few weeks now, and as said in the post above, mine fired off and ran like a champ with no fiddlein' of the settings..... and up to this week have had no trouble at all. This week however it developed a "stagger" during transition from idle to open throttle, and seemed a little balky during flight. I tried to lean it out a bit, and it wouldn't transition at all. Died as soon as the throttle was cracked.

Changed the glow plug to an OS#5, and brought new life to the engine. Flys stronger, runs & idles smoother. My engine is leaned out about 2 clicks past the stop. BTW, I broke the 3 blade prop and now swing an 11/5 two blader.....

As a beginner, I like the engine....

Allen
Old 07-01-2003, 02:16 AM
JW Walker

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have two of these and they work, just like there supposed to,every time I go out. The fellow teaching me to fly is quite amazed, and yes he wanted to fiddle with adjustment, but was dissapointed when it only required a click or 2. Having no experience with model engines I would definately recommend them. One less thing to mess with, lose the three blade prop and flywheel and you got a fair amount power. JW
Old 07-01-2003, 04:31 AM
MR. DAZZLER

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have one on a GP DAZZLER and it is a good engine in my eyes cranks good, idles like a champ, the factory prop that comes with it seems to be a little weak though. I changed mine out to a little different 3-Blade prop. The only reason for this is, I have some friends with the engine and the factory prop has broken on both of theirs with the slightest contact with the pavement. But for the money I think it is a wonderful choice.
Old 09-19-2003, 10:33 AM
Richard39
My Feedback: (14)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: The New Evolution Engine?

I am using the three blade prop with students learning to fly.....If any of you would like to sell your old three blade evolution props please contact me...Richard
Old 09-20-2003, 02:38 PM
Scar

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

One of my students has the Alpha trainer with the Evolution engine. It worked great, until the temperature approached 95 degrees. It was clearly rich, and I could not lean it out. adequately. For two flights, we ran it, rich, but the next two resulted in deadstick landings. I'm certain the mix was rich, from the pinch test, the sound, and the exhaust.

I made the student send the engine in, and he hasn't got it back yet. Now that the temperature is below 90 F, I wonder if it would be running okay again, at the same settings.

Nice plane, nice engine, I'm sure this will be fixable. I just wish they'd have provided information on how to lean out the mix.

Good luck,
Dave Olson
Old 09-22-2003, 06:10 PM
dataplane

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My son in law has an Alpha trainer w/ the evolution engine and is seems to perform quite well with very little tweaking and changed the three bladed prop to a two blade 11x6 and it screams. high speed performance improved about 900 rpm. There is a high-low idle setting opposite of the needle setting w/ a set pin to keep from over-setting the suggested range for idle. If the engine loads up after idling try leaning the idle but use care not to over do it just use little increments at a time. Move the idle counterclockwise a little at a time until you get a more positive response from idle to full speed.

HAPPY FLYING
Old 09-23-2003, 04:07 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Read the review.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=153
Old 09-24-2003, 09:55 PM
adamtheace

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have an evolutions TPS that came in an alpha. I love it easy to start with no fiddling and very reliable! Lose the flywheel and three blade and you have a very good engine thats waiting for a sport plane.
Old 09-27-2003, 07:40 AM
Toypainter
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have an Evolution 40 and my buddy has a 46. They are both easy starting, powerful, great running engines. The only probems we have had are: His was very hard to start when it was new and would stall when the throttle was advanced, we eventually found a loose screw on the needle valve that was letting it suck air. Tightened it and everything is fine. Mine had a cracked fitting on the needle valve. It broke off when I was removing the fuel line. The only problem here is that the fitting is metric and all I could find at the LHS were standard thread. I finally stole one off an old Super Tigre I had laying around and it fit fine. Problem solved. I won't hesitate to buy another.
Old 10-24-2003, 11:37 PM
OzMo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

around 5 of these have shown up at our field al seem to run ok but better if the muffler baffle is bored out or removed. also have read a couple posrs that a few of the factory settings are set rong but the field engine gurus can fix that easily.
Old 10-26-2003, 05:49 PM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

have to admit, this different looking engine has caught my eye as a recomendation for trainers or sport planes. advertised on the back of a UK mag now, not seen them sold tho..
good to see some glowing reports. what about the life span?
Old 10-26-2003, 07:10 PM
jettstarblue

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sweet! Sweet! Sweet! Lots of power. EZ starting like a wide range of props. Loose the pins in the needle valve after you are used to the engine, if you have a problem with the mixture at extreme temps.

Jetts