Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Need a bulletproof nose gear

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Need a bulletproof nose gear

Old 08-23-2009, 03:21 PM
Dzlstunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a bulletproof nose gear

I need a nose gear for 3/16 or 5/32 wire. It needs to have a control arm which has a screw (or other locking device) which WILL NOT STRIP OUT.

Did I just give you a hint about the problem I have had with the last three control arms that were installed? (BTW, I DID file a flat on the wire when I installed them.)

Thanks for any suggestions, Dzl
Old 08-23-2009, 06:05 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Need a bulletproof nose gear

The Fults 3/16th is particularly robust, I have one on a 15 pound four engine airplane and it has served well along with the Fults double strut nosegear. Notice the offset hole design to provide more threads to prevent stripping.

John

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXH120&P=RF
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18748.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	245.4 KB
ID:	1261831  
Old 08-23-2009, 06:24 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That is a stout looking nose gear John. I have the heavy duty Dubro on my only trike geared plane and it's hold up very well for me but I always try to set the mains down first on landings. The one time I didn't my poor little micro servo I use for steering lost all it's gears?? Yes, I set the front down just a tad hard, my bad!!
More so then your front gear I like how you set up the spring systen in the mains!! It's my idea now and I own it!! You can still use it though.
Gene
Old 08-23-2009, 06:29 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I've known of nose gears getting torn out of firewalls and I've heard of breaking the control horns on them, but stripping out the control horn screw is a new one on me. If it's the threads that are stripping, perhaps you've been overtightening it? It doesn't take much torque to keep it in place with a flat ground in. If the horn is spinning on the nose wheel wire, then maybe locktite is the answer?
Old 08-23-2009, 09:22 PM
Dzlstunter

John: Thanks. That's exactly what I was looking for. (BTW, I think we may have flown at the same stunt meet in the Midwest several years ago.)
Dzl
Old 08-23-2009, 11:25 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

DZL, sorry it must have been someone else I,ve always been a west coaster. Well that is untill I retired up here in the Arizona Outback.

Gene, steal away. I no doubt stole the idea somewhere along the way. Started originally with no spring tie but the fiberglas gear just was not up to the task and the airplane kinda looked like a beached walrus wallowing along from side to side and the heavy tension spring worked just right.

Now here is some stout main gear, I planned for up to twenty pounds and it came in at seventeen:

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45273.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	289.0 KB
ID:	1262048  
Old 08-24-2009, 09:29 AM
Villa

Hi TCLtunter
DuBro front steering arm http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXD848&P=7 will work perfect for you.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:00 AM
Dzlstunter

Villa: you are absolutely right but it would be a real shame to cut into the nose of this model to relocate my steering cable down to the gear spring location. These things work great, but I'm trying very hard to avoid putting the control arm outside the cowling on this one. Thanks for a very useful suggestion, though! Dzl
Old 08-24-2009, 02:44 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

DZL, sorry it must have been someone else I,ve always been a west coaster. Well that is untill I retired up here in the Arizona Outback.

Gene, steal away. I no doubt stole the idea somewhere along the way. Started originally with no spring tie but the fiberglas gear just was not up to the task and the airplane kinda looked like a beached walrus wallowing along from side to side and the heavy tension spring worked just right.

Now here is some stout main gear, I planned for up to twenty pounds and it came in at seventeen:

John
Wow!!!