Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Where to fly in Santa Barbara, Cali

Old 06-28-2003, 05:36 AM
BBandit

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Where to fly in Santa Barbara, Cali

Does anyone know if their is a field or a place to fly in santa barbara? I'm moving to the area and have no idea where to fly.
Anyone know?

thanks
bbandit
Old 06-30-2003, 03:35 AM
gofast3
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Santa Barbara

Hi,

I just moved to Michigan from Lompoc, California which is just northwest of Santa Barbara. I was in the Santa Barbara r/c modelers club that used to fly up by Lake Cachuma. Actually just passed it a mile or so. If you go to Lake Cachuma from Santa Barbara, go past the lake a couple of miles and you will see the flying field on the right side of highway 154. It is a nice field, with a small paved runway. Also the Lompoc Valley Flyers club has a nice field. I hope this helps. Word of warning. If you live in Santa Barbara be very prepared for major cutbacks in your abilities to afford R/C. It got so outragously expensive to live there that I left. Beautiful place though. Best of luck to ya.

Here is the contact e-mail address for the Santa Barbara RC Modelers

SLOEPKEY@COX.NET
Old 07-22-2003, 02:49 AM
Gry101
My Feedback: (8)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Depending...

on where in Santa Barbara you live, you might be close to the Ventura County Comets as well. We fly out at Lake Casitas. Take the 101 South to the 150. The SBRC is probably closer though. We do have several flyers that live in SB and fly at our field. Go through the front gate ($6 to get in) and take a right. Follow the signs to the airfield. You can get a yearly pass for around $60 that covers as many one day trips in and out as you would like. E-mail me at eldestino@netzero.net if you want to go. We can meet up at the front gate and I can get you in to check things out.

Andrew
Old 10-16-2004, 01:11 AM
zagiart

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Where to fly in Santa Barbara, Cali

Hey BBandit,

I live in Ventura County but work in Santa Barbara a couple of days a week. If you fly park fliers, electric only, there is a new soccer field in Carpenteria. Just about 6 or 7 miles of Santa Barbara. You will need to take the Bailard exit, turn right to the stop sign, then left on the frontage road. You will see the nice grass field on the right. If it is busy, soccer players, you can fly at the unimproved field right at the Bailard road exit. I prefer the soccer field as the open field is a animal sanctuary. I don't fly if hawks or buzzards are around just so we won't get kicked out. If the wind is blowing from the South you can slope at the South end of the frontage road. Recovery of a downed plane can be tough so I usually fly motor powered gliders. Further South in Ventura is a site known as Grant Park. This is the best slope site in the area. There are a couple of sites North of Santa Barbara by Elwood Beach that the Santa Barbara guys fly when the wind is right. Look up http://www.sbslopers.org/ for information. Happy flying! Art