Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Highly visible lights?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Highly visible lights?

Old 08-29-2009, 05:33 PM
Don41

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Highly visible lights?

As the years go by and the eyes age, my brother and I have more and more trouble keeping track of our planes while on final. We are fortunate enough to have a great dry lake bed to fly on but we have problems keeping track of the planes during certain parts of the final. At low altitude the background mountains and hills tend to mask the plane. Consequently we tend to make rather steep approaches which means a very long taxi back to the pit (or in some cases a long retrieval walk).

Question: I know there are lights available but are there any that are more than decorative? We need something that would be highly visible and be easily tracked against the terrain.

Regards
Old 08-30-2009, 08:26 AM
SoCalSal
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: Highly visible lights?

ORIGINAL: Don41

As the years go by and the eyes age, my brother and I have more and more trouble keeping track of our planes while on final. We are fortunate enough to have a great dry lake bed to fly on but we have problems keeping track of the planes during certain parts of the final. At low altitude the background mountains and hills tend to mask the plane. Consequently we tend to make rather steep approaches which means a very long taxi back to the pit (or in some cases a long retrieval walk).

Question: I know there are lights available but are there any that are more than decorative? We need something that would be highly visible and be easily tracked against the terrain.

Regards
Hi, try this out. I have them and believe me they are bright in day light.
http://electrodynam.com/rc/index.shtml
Old 08-30-2009, 11:41 AM
Don41

ORIGINAL: SoCalSal

ORIGINAL: Don41

Regards
Hi, try this out. I have them and believe me they are bright in day light.
http://electrodynam.com/rc/index.shtml
Thanks for the info. I'll look into the lighting system,

Regards
Old 08-30-2009, 12:17 PM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It might not be the best for pretty but a 1" orange strip all the way down the leading edge trimmed with white so the orange stands out works pretty good.
Old 08-30-2009, 02:48 PM
Don41

ORIGINAL: TFF

It might not be the best for pretty but a 1'' orange strip all the way down the leading edge trimmed with white so the orange stands out works pretty good.
Thanks, I've heard that orange was the best color for visibility. I have a variety of color schemes on various planes, some work better than others but none of them seem to overcome the problem with background scenery clutter on that long low final.

Regards
Old 08-30-2009, 03:19 PM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Without the sharp contrast of the orange flanked with the white it wont work as well. I find if I try to blend it in with the overall scheme it looses its effectiveness. It almost has to mess it up to work. I hate that low transition too.