Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Removing Wrinkles from Flat Sprayed UltraKote

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Removing Wrinkles from Flat Sprayed UltraKote

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 09:54 AM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Wrinkles from Flat Sprayed UltraKote

I have a Warbird that is covered in typical very Shiny UltraKote; I completly ironed out all of the wrinkles and made sure the covering was well adhered, then I sprayed Lustre Kote Flat Clear, on the entire Plane; the results are great; as is typical for any heat shrink film coverings, wrinkles will develop from time to time; what would be the best way to remove these wrinkles without disturbing the Flat Finish?

Thanks.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:24 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Removing Wrinkles from Flat Sprayed UltraKote

I do a little cure thing with my Ultra after covering. I set the plane out in the hot sun for about an hour then shrink out all the sags and bubbles then do it again, sometimes several times until it doesn't sag any more. Then after paint or decals I don't have to worry about it.
Once in a while it does happen though so I just heat up an iron good and hot then go over the spot keeping the iron about a 1/16th away from touching the covering. So far so good but with the curing first it doesn't happen much.

Old 09-06-2009, 04:14 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Removing Wrinkles from Flat Sprayed UltraKote

And of course, a heat gun held at a distance works.

You've got to get heat to the film to shrink it. No way out of that. And touching the painted surface with anything hot screws it up. No way out of that.