Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

On Board Glo Igniters

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

On Board Glo Igniters

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 12:20 PM
Sparky71
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default On Board Glo Igniters

Looking for an on board system to keep my glo plug lit at idle, Tower lists 2 of them, one is a Jomar and the other a Ram, both seem to be similar, says opticaly operated, (don't know what that means). The Ram is pictured in a sealed package and includes the battery, would like to hear from anyone familiar with these or any other ones you would recomend.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:52 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: On Board Glo Igniters

The Jomar is more popular
Old 09-06-2009, 10:42 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

"Optical" means the ignition wire to the engine is isolated from the receiver and other electronics aboard via using a fiber-optic cable to trigger "on" vs. "off" positions. Usually it is a concern with electronic ignition gasoline engines - using a spark ignition - but I suppose not a bad idea for glow fuel, either.

Never bothered with an onboard glow driver so I can't say which may be better.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:12 AM
Sandmann_AU

I've got [link=http://www.42-percent-products.com/glow-accessories.htm]these 42 percent micro-glows[/link] in two of my planes - they work flawlessly.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:40 AM
OldScaleGuy

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This one works great and you can't beat the price. http://leisurercmodels.com/id14.html
Old 09-07-2009, 06:49 AM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've used this receiver operated swtich, http://www.robotmarketplace.com/prod...-BATTLSW1.html . I use the gear channel it is rated for 10 Amps and 100,000 cycles. It has worked flawlessly and is very light. So basically the only weight is your battery(I used a C NiCad rechargeable and a safety switch). This robot market place ships the same day as the order is placed. I've ordered this switch two times and both times they were shipped within a couple of hours of the order.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:31 AM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Expert makes one that is easy to set up and the price is right.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:23 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The expert glow driver

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=EXRA550

Old 09-07-2009, 02:50 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

This is one of those subjects that I agree both with Charlie and W8. I never use them myself but at one point I checked them out, this was before FOs hit the market. I bought the Expert for a special plane but my advanced instructor spent the time to teach me how to tune an inverted engine and the Expert has sat in my shop for years.
Now I have a very special plane worth way too much money so the Expert system is going in this plane just for my piece of mind. I have never been bothered with dead sticks on any of my planes but I could never replace this one so in with the glow driver.
There are a few people that I really listen to here and take there advise and W8 is one of them, makes me feel even better knowing he likes the Expert too. Guess I made a good choice.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:36 PM
Jester241

Sullivans work well,and are very popular. I've been using them alot lately and like the fact that it has built in voltage regulator so I can use a small 4.8v rx battery to power it and its lasts along time.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...?ProdID=MOD060
Old 09-08-2009, 06:27 PM
DanMN

I just put a Sullivan in a Hellcat and it works great. You can use any battery you want above 1.5 volts. You can also set it to go on at infinite throttle levels and turn off at the same. It has worked well so far and have heard nothing but good things about them.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXRYK2&P=ML

just saw that the person above had the link to Horizon, which is cheaper by $1.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:10 AM
Sparky71

Thanks for the input guys, I did no realize there were so many different ones on the market, I have ordered an Electro Dynamics EDR 103 like my friend bought at Lebanon this year, it comes with everything wired up if you buy the assesory package and is very costly, will let you know how I make out with it.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:49 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You'll like the Electrodynamics unit. It's easy to set up, and works well.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:24 PM
frenchie79

I can't help agreeing with "peice of mind" but a properly tuned engine won't give you a problem.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:06 PM
Gray Beard

Mark, you know how I feel about Glow Drivers and learning to tune an engine. I agree with you 100%. In my case if for any reason, engine, Rx, battery bad gust of wind or the flight gods are just out to mess my head, I would never have the money to replace this plane if I loose it. Fact is anyone just using a 2M pattern plane just for sport flying is nuts but I have one and plan to fly it often. The Glow Driver is just a little bit of piece of mind. It could also be just another thing to jump up and bite me in the hinderpoo? I don't ever worry about dead sticks but this could be another help to me, no having to make up a remote glow driver or reaching under to plug one on or remove after starting. Besides, the driver is paid for!!
Old 09-10-2009, 11:33 PM
Sandmann_AU

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

Mark, you know how I feel about Glow Drivers and learning to tune an engine. I agree with you 100%. In my case if for any reason, engine, Rx, battery bad gust of wind or the flight gods are just out to mess my head, I would never have the money to replace this plane if I loose it. Fact is anyone just using a 2M pattern plane just for sport flying is nuts but I have one and plan to fly it often. The Glow Driver is just a little bit of piece of mind. It could also be just another thing to jump up and bite me in the hinderpoo? I don't ever worry about dead sticks but this could be another help to me, no having to make up a remote glow driver or reaching under to plug one on or remove after starting. Besides, the driver is paid for!!
I used to feel the same as you... "I don' need no steekin on-board glow. I jus' need it tuned right!' but as you pointed out even a perfectly tuned and maintained engine is subject to random environmental effects, contaminated fuel, etc that can stall an otherwise fine engine and kill an expensive plane that might have been saved with a cheap(ish) on-board glow. With a 2M plane the weight's certainly not an issue, and if nothing else it may save you accidentally losing a finger since you no longer have to fit a glow driver to start the thing. Besides which, this is the 21st century when we've accepted things like computers in cars to control our brakes and tell us where to go, what's so bad about a little technological convenience with your glow plug?
Old 09-11-2009, 12:38 AM
Semi Retired Aviator

The 42 percent on board glo systems are good, and simplicity itself to operate.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:02 PM
godschild.eugene
My Feedback: (23)

I have a Saito 220 inverted in an 120 CMP P-40 Warhawk and can not for the life of me, get it to idle at least at 22h rpm but, I can only get it down to 28h rpm with out it poppen and boppen and cutten out on me H.E.L.P.! !
Old 06-18-2011, 05:54 PM
Gray Beard

Old thread but the topic is still alive and well. I ended up just using a remote glow ignitor for ease of starting. In another thread a week or two ago the topic came up about the Expert OBGD and one of the fellows discovered by using a heavy battery and driver wires his worked out well for him. He did change out the battery wires as I recall. Before you go to the extream of the OBGD you may want to try using a higher nitro content like 30%. It may give you that better low end you require. I'm not a high nitro user but it does help out a lot on getting the low end set on some engines. If not then give the OBGD a try.
Just a thought.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:38 PM
godschild.eugene

Sorry about bringing up old news my friend but, I do thank you though for the info. This is my first time on here and I'm just really started useing the computer, but I'm getting the hang of thing though. Thanks again.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:14 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

I sometimes have an uncooperative engine that will not idle low, and consistent, without glow heat.

I have built a few onboard glow plug lighters and some are servo activated and some are just 'on' all the time. I have read countless times that leaving your glow driver connected for the entire flight will not harm it. I have proven that too myself as well.

Here is a super simple glow plug lighter I just made the other day. It uses a AA alkaline battery. It uses a micro toggle switch to turn it on or off. It has some connectors in the wiring only for the purposes of installing and removing its components from the airplane. It cost less than $3.00 in parts.

One neat thing about any onboard driver, complicated or simple, is that you no longer need your flight box and lead acid battery and power panel to get your engine lit.

Old 06-20-2011, 04:51 AM
godschild.eugene

OH Wow, thats awsome my friend! Thats wats up! Radio shake here I come.... Thank you so much for your help & time my friend. Not to sound stupped in all but, I take it that  on board glo would also work for inverted 2 strokes as well, witch is more of a pain to start than 4 stroke, feel me?   
Old 06-20-2011, 08:13 AM
Kmot

Yes, sure. Glow heat is glow heat.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:36 PM
tcraftpo
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kmot: Thanks for the info and pictures! No more $50 OBGD's for me.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:45 PM
Kmot

Cool!

B sure to space the wheel collar off the plug body, or install an insulator of some sort. In this case, I cut a piece of fuel tubing and stuck it on the plug stem.