Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

os 70 fs camshaft delaminating

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

os 70 fs camshaft delaminating

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 10:56 PM
jb86
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default os 70 fs camshaft delaminating

i have an os 70 fs. not a high time engine. bought in 04, flew for a few years maybe 50 flights at most. has always run great. dis assembled about 1 year ago and found plating flaking off the camshaft. havent re assembled yet. price for camshaft 1 yr ago on tower was $37, today $51. the cam is listed as 91FS (with pump, not the 91 w/o pump).
engine seemed to run fine even though it was like this. should i change it? is this common? price seems a rip off.
jon
Old 09-09-2009, 09:19 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: os 70 fs camshaft delaminating

Is this the OS 70II Surpass? I agree, engine parts seem to be inflated. I needed a cylinder sleeve and piston for a Thunder Tiger Pro-46 and they wanted about $5 less than I had paid for the whole engine a year prior! Instead I sent it back and they replaced it under warranty. This was after a crash and no fault of the engine.

Before you buy the part I would recommend you contact the OS warranty department and (politely) ask about your options. That's not a common wear problem and could be argued as a manufacturing flaw. I was sold a OS 70II Surpass at dealer cost after my own fault (well, it was a mid-air but, again, no fault of the engine) and sending the pieces back. They're good folks. Worst case they might sell you one at cost.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:49 PM
jb86
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: os 70 fs camshaft delaminating

i will call os tomorrow.
it is a os 70 surpass II, bought new in 2003. at most 50 flights.
thanks for the info.
jon