Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Best Way To Measure Engine Temperature

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Best Way To Measure Engine Temperature

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 07:42 AM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Way To Measure Engine Temperature

What is the best way, or best type of instrument, to measure Engine Temperature of a Cowled engine; pictured are 2 types I am considering.

One being a handheld Infrared Laser Meter/Gun used by HVAC, Electrical and/or Automotive Technicians, the advantage being if it works on our RC engines it can be used for other applications, can be measured from any distance and you can take pinpoint measurements of for example the Cylinder Head, maybe even while the engine is running.

The other type being Infrared temperature gauges made for the hobby and sold by Tower Hobbies; the real disadvantage I can see is that they only work best the closer they are to the engine, and I would think that it measures the whole engine and Cowled engine Compartment area instead of just the Cylinder head area for example.

Any help is appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33879.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	1277499   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24227.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	1277500  
Old 09-18-2009, 06:15 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Best Way To Measure Engine Temperature

I have yet to see anyone at the field use a temp checker on a plane. I'm sure some people do it but they are for the most part used on cars. If a plane engine is in tune and starts to bog down in flight it is one of the signs of over heating so you land and either retune it and try again or open up the cowl for better air exit. Over heating in a plane is usually caused from being too lean or air flow in the cowl. There are other reasons but these are the main two that you check first.