Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

What’s up with Tower?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

What’s up with Tower?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 06:32 PM
Pa-18cub150

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What’s up with Tower?

What’s up with Tower? Am I the only to notes the 2010 catalog is down 32 pages from 2009? The only new brand I noticed are the DL engines. I am very disappointed that they have dropped both SIG and Goldberg brands.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:12 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: What’s up with Tower?

Tower owns Lanier and they decided to kill most of it

Sig has some delivery problems

Tower also quit selling Y-S engines

Some of the lines they carried are no longer available
Old 10-01-2009, 07:26 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Bill Baxter, who is Hobbico's spokesman here on RCU, addressed this issue in this thread: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=9133728

The main part of his statement deals with your question:

Please be aware that the catalog can no longer be exhaustive. The great, great majority of orders are via the web, so the catalog is a supplement to the website. That's why the catalog is smaller than previous years. The largest catalogs were from about 1979 through the 1990's, and had 288 pages. However, in those days, the orders came in by phone and regular mail...the pre-internet days.

If you know what you want, or have even a vague idea, the search function can easily help you find things. It's just about the best search function you'll find anywhere on the web. ...Any you'll find more products and product info that can be put into any catalog. The Tower Hobbies website has a wealth of information that's as up-to-date as is humanly possible.
Tower has not dropped Goldberg planes from the stock. A search for Goldberg products on Tower's site shows most of the Goldberg line of planes still for sale: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...02p?P=SM&M=GBG

It is true that they did drop the Sig line, but it was a business decision to not carry the line. Actually, this same thing happened about 10 years ago when Tower dropped the Sig line. The line was missing from Tower for about a year and then it was back in the offerings from Tower.

Ken

Old 10-01-2009, 09:26 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I looked through the catalog for about 15 minutes the day it arrived then tossed it. It is much easier to find what I want on the web site. The site is also more up to date, tells you what is in stock, etc. so I much prefer it.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:40 PM
w8ye

The catalog goes to press in the middle of July and that is the way it stays for a year.

The Internet catalog is often updated as the year goes along
Old 10-02-2009, 07:55 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The company I work for creates catalogs and websites for retailers like Tower. Since the advent of the internet, I have seen catalogs slowly getting smaller as the web content grows larger.

And as websites go, we make some of the best in the business, but Tower's is one of the very few sites I have ever dealt with that are as good as the ones we host.

I can't say that for any of the other hobby sites I have used.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:02 AM
ro347
My Feedback: (13)

Tower's site is definitely a great point of reference. The information they provide on products such as specs etc is great.

Im surprised they have listed the DLE 55 and 111( i think its 111) but not the 30.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:39 AM
da Rock

Way back, when you had to build your airplane to have one, the Tower catalog was absolutely the most informative "text book" you could find that provided detailed information. But it was needed then. Everybody was a builder and was interested in details and specifications.

Today the modeling population is much different.

Although, awhile back, one of the new guys asked what quarter grain balsa was. I happened to have a 1980s Tower catalog in the car with a page or two about balsa selection that had pictures. After looking at the picture of quarter grain he understood perfectly. He wound up sitting and reading the definitions section at the back for about a half hour. He learned a few things.

Times change.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:42 AM
da Rock

BTW, Tower's website puts all the others to shame when it comes to providing a thorough description of most items. It still is the industry leader with info.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:05 AM
ChuckW

ORIGINAL: da Rock

BTW, Tower's website puts all the others to shame when it comes to providing a thorough description of most items. It still is the industry leader with info.
Definitely. One reason I often buy from Tower as opposed to someone else is simply because the stuff is organized logically so it is easier to find and there is more information to help me make my decision. The actual checkout procedure is quicker and easier on the Tower site compared to others as well.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:24 PM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The web site I dislike the most is Horizon Hobby. I can never find what I want[:@]. Tower's is the best as far as logical organization and search engine. Sig is another site I find it hard to find things and they have almost no description. As far as the Tower catalog goes, I still go through it but much less often than I use to.

Bruce
Old 10-03-2009, 10:46 PM
Pa-18cub150

Glad to see the Goldberg line wasn’t dropped. Still sorry to see SIG and tower parting ways.

I agree tower has one of the most user-friendly web sites on the net. If you think the Horizon site is bad try the Hobby Town site.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:31 AM
airbusdrvr

ORIGINAL: landeck

The web site I dislike the most is Horizon Hobby. I can never find what I want[:@]. Tower's is the best as far as logical organization and search engine. Sig is another site I find it hard to find things and they have almost no description. As far as the Tower catalog goes, I still go through it but much less often than I use to.

Bruce
I have to agree with this opinion. Horizon really needs to spend some time and describe their products. On many items there is no description at all. Tower is much better. I guess that is why Tower gets the most of my internet business.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:48 AM
H5487

There's no doubt that Tower's website is the best in the business. It is easy to navigate around in and the amouunt of information on any particular item is outstanding. I don't see how Tower could produce an equivalent paper catalog without it being an inch thick! I can always go to the Tower site and find the latest information and price (sometimes lower!) of a product that I'm interested in. That being said, I like to keep Tower's latest paper catalog in my car because I can take it to lunch with me when I simply want to take a break from my job and just have some "dream" time. Of course, a laptop with an aircard would do the same thing but a laptop lacks the simplicity of a paper catalog. (And nobody will steal it if I go to the bathroom.)

I know that this thread wasn't intended to be a Horizon-bash but I have to agree with others in that Horizon's website is hardly as easy to use or as informative as Tower's. But I feel that Horizon's website reflects my opinion of their attitude towards the consumer: We don't care if you buy from us or not. That may sound a little harsh but every time I've called them on the phone to ask a question or place an order, I couldn't help but think how much of a difference there is between Horizon and Tower. Tower's phone employees are always friendly and helpful whereas Horizon's seem to have a bit of arrogance in their voice and sound like they can't wait to get me off the phone. And that's too bad because Horizon has some very good product lines of its own. Products that I'm not buying. Are you listening, Horizon?

But I can't say a single bad thing about Horizon's Saito Service Department! Those guys are EXTREMELY customer service oriented. They are friendly, attentive, and interested in me as a customer. They don't seem to forget that I've sent in my little baby for service and they are good at communicating the details back, be it by phone or e-mail. Nor do they act like they're the only authorized Saito service around.

Harvey

PS
Tower's OS Service Dept is great too!
Old 10-04-2009, 12:34 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As I have posted before, I order very little from either tower or horizon but I always have my students do there shopping at there stores. Tower is a great place for the new pilot, it's one stop shopping. Not always the best prices or selection but you can get it all at one place. I use horizon but only for thereelectronic stuff like chargers or volt meters, I like the ACE line but that may just be old school thinking. I have had very bad luck with anything Hobbico. As for the OS service, I just tried them again and it was as bad as ever.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:16 PM
ChuckW

I buy from Tower regularly, they've always done an outstanding job for me, but I also use them now and then when researching, even if I ultimately buy the item someplace else.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:52 PM
w8ye

The owner of Horizon used to be a part owner of Hobbico/Great Planes/Tower

About the time that Tower was brought on board, the one owner left Hobbico and formed Horizon to only deal with dealers as wholesale only and no direct customer sales. Sometime in the late 90's Horizon bought Indy R/C to gain some exclusive distributor ships on some popular items. They also inherited direct customer sales. So there is a different sales philosophy between Tower and Horizon. Tower's arm of Hobbico is a direct consumer only business. Anything with the name Tower on it is not sold to dealers at a discount.

A dealer would argue with you until he was blue in the face that Horizon is the greatest and that Hobbico is only a necessary evil. This sounds backwards from what we as consumer see?
Old 10-07-2009, 04:47 AM
H5487

I was wondering why the two largest R/C distributors both came to be located in the same city. Thanks w8ye!

Harvey
Old 10-07-2009, 05:48 AM
w8ye

But they are on opposite sides of town
Old 10-07-2009, 08:26 AM
MinnFlyer

Three including Advantage Hobby
Old 10-07-2009, 08:35 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: H5487

I was wondering why the two largest R/C distributors both came to be located in the same city. Thanks w8ye!

Harvey
Three including Advantage Hobby
Iwas talking to Len Sabato who is one of the owners of Advantage Hobby and Iasked him how Champaign turned in the hobby capitol. He said it was very simple. Tower Hobby was started in Champain. An employee of Tower left to start Horizon. And then an employee of Horizon left to start Advantage!!

Ken
Old 10-07-2009, 08:40 AM
MinnFlyer

Geeze, you'd think that when they left they would have moved someplace better
Old 10-07-2009, 09:59 AM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it starts further back than that with Top Flight, Goldberg , and Dubro in the 50's or earlier; they were the powerhouse manufacturers and all from that area. Now HobbiCo owns two and is the main distributer for the other.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:03 AM
ChuckW

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

Geeze, you'd think that when they left they would have moved someplace better
I've been in the area a few times and kinda liked it. Of course I didn't have to live there in January either.

It's actually pretty common to see several companies in the same industry in a town. I've seen it a number of times. It always happens that same way too. The first company has an employee who is experienced, motivated and has some ideas. That employee sets out on their own and starts a competitor down the street. Then it happens a second or third time. before you know it there are 3-4 companies in the same industry all within a few miles of each other.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:09 PM
w8ye

Champaign is a college town too with a lot of cheap labor

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.