Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Flying Again in MN

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Flying Again in MN

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2003, 03:54 PM
afra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flying Again in MN

Hi all,

This is my first post on this (or any) rc forum.

I am breaking out the plane(s) again after a 12 year absence from the hobby. The layoff was due to a real job and kids! Now the kids are old enough to start learning about rc.

My question is about the condition of my equipment. I have a Aerostar 40 that I built almost 15 years ago that is structurally sound. I cleaned it up and checked every screw and epoxy joint in the plane. Even the monocoat is still pretty tight. Servo's look good. Futaba am radio seems ok. I sent to radio into the manufaturer back in 1991 and they did something to it for $35 - so I'm assuming it's legal. The Royal .45 Engine was oiled and wrapped prior to the layoff and is in good shape. I have cycled the batteries for both the tx and rx 3 times and they still hold the proper current timed every 15 minutes on my voltage tester.

My plan is to purchase new gas and a 12volt battery for my flight box. Get the engine running and make sure the servos work correctly. I've talked to the Wright Flyers club president and applied for insurance with AMA. I hope to bring this trainer to the field and pick up right where I left off 12 years ago!

I think I'm ready to leap back into the hobby but I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

Any advise is appreciated. BTW I've also got a cap 21 and a Duraplane that I'll fly once I get the flying coordination back!

Scott.
Old 07-02-2003, 12:34 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scott,
Sounds like you've got it pretty well covered.

I'm sure you'll get folks saying you should replace the radio gear, but it sounds like you had it updated to narrow band so it should be okay. (Small gold sticker on the back of the Tx?)

I would suggest that you replace the battery packs though. Especially the Rx pack. I don't think it's worth risking the plane (or someone's injury) over the cost of a new pack or two.

I would also suggest replacing the fuel lines. After 12 years I would think they'd be inflexible and prone to cracking or splitting. Very low cost here.

Welcome back!! You'll be flyin' that Cap before you know it.
Dennis-
Old 07-02-2003, 01:59 AM
afra

Thanks for the welcome Dennis,

I'm heading to the hobby store tomorrow and will look for the Rx batteries along with some new fuel and a 12volt battery (for my flight box). Do you think I'll have any trouble finding Rx batteries with the correct connections? Keep in mind it's for an old Futaba Conquest FP-T4NL system. Do I need to ask for a certain connection? I wonder if I'll have to cut the male ends off the old battery packs and re-wire the new packs.

My transmitter has a gold sticker on the back that says "R/CMA AMA RF CHECK JUL 1991" Also the receiver Futaba sent me has a silver sticker on the back that says "Narrow Band 20KHz 1991". I'm assuming this is all on the up-and-up.

Thanks again and I am psyched to get out flying again!

Scott.
Old 07-02-2003, 11:51 AM
DBCherry

Scott,
Yeah, you'll most likely have to replace the connectors on the pack. Still worth it.

Radio gear sounds fine. Stickers means the stuff was updated.

Don't know your financial situation, but there are some fairly inexpensive, yet good quality radio systems out there today. Hitec Flash 5X, and Futaba 6XA (or EXA?) come to mind. (The letters at the end change frequently, but....)

You can often get the last version of these radios on eBay for cheap money.

Again, no reason to for now though.
Dennis-
Old 07-02-2003, 12:24 PM
MinnFlyer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As for hobby shops, check out Hobby Warehouse on Chicago Ave. in Richfield. They are the BEST in the Twin Cities. (In fact, I volunteered to take my nephew to the airport tomorrow, just so I have an excuse to go there )
Old 07-02-2003, 02:05 PM
afra

Look out Hobby Warehouse - Here I come!

BTW- I think this shop used to be on 7th street in St. Paul. Was the best shop around back in the late 80's. Will check out the new location and see what's new. Will be there Thursday afternoon.

Scott.
Old 07-02-2003, 02:18 PM
banktoturn

afra,

I think the shop on 7th was called R/C City. I really liked it too, but when I returned from my layoff, also a result of marriage/kids/job, it was gone.

banktoturn
Old 07-02-2003, 02:50 PM
MinnFlyer

Shoot, I'll probably be there between 9 and 10 AM. Looks like I'll just miss you.
Old 07-02-2003, 03:24 PM
afra

banktoturn - yep, that's the place on 7th I was thinking of - R/C City. What a great store that was. I live outside the north western suburbs of Mpls now so the new (to me) Richfield location is somewhat closer than the old St. Paul location, although, I would have driven to R/C City if it were still open in a minute!

MinnFlyer - let me know if there is something I shouldn't miss at Hobby Whse. I'm always interested in great deals and cool stuff.

Thanks,

Scott.
Old 07-02-2003, 05:05 PM
MinnFlyer

In a word, EVERYTHING! They have just about anything you want, and they beat Tower prices on a daily basis.
Old 07-06-2003, 10:01 PM
twostroke
My Feedback: (6)

Afra when do you plan on going to the field to try it out again?
Old 07-07-2003, 12:25 PM
afra

Minnflyer and banktoturn,

I stopped by Hobby Whse Thursday afternoon. The staff was great. Gave me advice on the correct stuff to buy to get me flying again. Basically purchased batteries, fuel, and rubber bands. They sure have a lot of parts jammed into that store. I had to keep ducking so as to not bang my head into those boxes hanging precariously over the edge of all the top shelves!

twostroke,

I got out last night at the Monticello field. My old Aerostar flew just like it was new. Leo (Instructor) helped me get it in the air and trimmed correctly for the first flight in many years. He took off and landed it a couple of times then handed the controls over to me. After my shaking and nervousness subsided I landed and took off a couple of times myself. Did the basic figure eights and then tried a couple of loops and rolls. Even flew it inverted for a while. I think with a bit more practice, I'll have the coordination back to where it once was.

I'm already thinking of attending the monthly meeting and flying again Tuesday night. Also already thinking of building a GP P-51 for the next project!.

Scott.