Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

An OS 120 Exhaust question

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

An OS 120 Exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 06:38 AM
guille2006

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default An OS 120 Exhaust question

This is the problem: I have to destroy 1/2 airplane nose to install the engine on it if I want to install the complete exhaust system. What if I use only the manifold (without muffler)? I don't care about noise since I fly in the middle of the nothing; just want to know if the engine could breaks or malfunction...
Thanks on advance.
Guille
Old 10-16-2009, 08:39 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: An OS 120 Exhaust question

Most 4-stroke will run fine with no pressure, You'll just have to richen the mixture a bit.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:38 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

Most 4-stroke will run fine with no pressure, You'll just have to richen the mixture a bit.

Ditto that... and some even run better with just a straight pipe... most of us don't encourage it just because we like to keep peace with all the neighbors... but if neighbors aren't an issue.. a pipe with no muffler even has a very racey sound to it. (I'm just sayin') Have fun.
Old 10-17-2009, 04:37 PM
JimO
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have a look at RC Specialties, an advertiser here on RCU, at his 90 degree adaptors. I have used them on a couple of planes to redirect the exhaust from the cylinder to save a big hole in the cowl.

JimO
Old 10-17-2009, 04:57 PM
mirwin
My Feedback: (1)

You didn't say if your OS 1.20 FS has the pump or not. I've run my pumped OS 1.20 and .91 FS engines, both with pumps, without mufflers for the same reason - appearance and to avoid destroying half the cowl. Both engines ran great after tuning them.

On my Corsair I cut the angle of the exhaust pipe at an angle, and extended it outside the cowling about 1/2" to avoid filling the engine compartment with fuel residue and heat. Looked great, and sounded awesome. But beware of the law of unintended consequences!

The exhaust that exits a straight pipe is much hotter because you don't get the cooling benefit of the muffler. After only 4 - 5 flights, that hot exhaust which was blowing about 2 1/2" back onto the epoxy joint holding the wing panel to the belly pan, melted the epoxy. The result would have been disasterous if an observer hadn't noticed a rapidly growing space between the wing panel and belly pan. I quickly landed, and just in time. I'm currently in the process of building a new wing (I can't trust that glue joint now), and chopping up a beautiful cowling so that I can install the muffler.

Mike
Old 10-17-2009, 08:49 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I haven't tried running without a muffler on any of mine without a pump but I have often run without a muffler, just the header with an extended pipe of some sort. Sounds really cool in some of my bipes.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:56 AM
JimO
My Feedback: (7)

OS also makes "Flex" pipes so you can run the exhaust out of the cowl.

JimO