Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Storing a Plane in a Garage - Northern (Think Winter)

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Storing a Plane in a Garage - Northern (Think Winter)

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 02:57 PM
Jim_Purcha
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Storing a Plane in a Garage - Northern (Think Winter)

No disrespect to the RCU members in the southern States, but I would like to hear some suggestions from modelers in the northern states, particularly the Dakota's, Minnesota (Minnflyer?) and Wisconscin since we share the same climate.

How do you store your models in a garage? Any concerns about the electronics or the engines? How about that -40 degree 40 mile/hour wind that comes in when the door is opened in mid January.

Thanks,

Jim

Old 10-16-2009, 03:48 PM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Storing a Plane in a Garage - Northern (Think Winter)

remove the radio componets and engine and store in a warm/dry location.I am assuming your garage is unheated
Old 10-16-2009, 06:53 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I just put them out there. They hold up just fine
Old 10-16-2009, 07:14 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

or just move to a warmer climate.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:43 PM
RICMOD5634

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I leave all my planes in a trailer in mid Mich. and do nothing speacial. And they always run and fly the next year.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:32 PM
Jim_Purcha

But I live in "Southern" Manitoba David.

ORIGINAL: dhal22

or just move to a warmer climate.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:01 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

well, there you have it. is -40 better than -70 way up in northern manitoba? i just googled your town. it appears to be a bit on the small side.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:34 PM
Jim_Purcha

The town I live in just 6 miles south of Winnipeg (800 thousand). Most of us drive in to the city for work. -40 is better than -70. I have a pair of winter boots rated to -80 degrees. Never had to test them to that extreme yet.

Jim

well, there you have it. is -40 better than -70 way up in northern manitoba? i just googled your town. it appears to be a bit on the small side.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:43 PM
ro347
My Feedback: (13)

I store in the garage during the winter.....I personally just put after run in the engines, and pull out all batteries, keeping them along with Tx in the house.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:45 PM
ro347
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: Jim_Purcha

The town I live in just 6 miles south of Winnipeg (800 thousand). Most of us drive in to the city for work. -40 is better than -70. I have a pair of winter boots rated to -80 degrees. Never had to test them to that extreme yet.

Jim

WOWZERZ!!!! ....And im complaining of the weather here at 46 degrees right now.
Old 10-17-2009, 06:34 AM
Jim_Purcha

My kids missed a few days a school last year when the temp. dropped to -45 degrees (celsius or fahrenheit I don't matter, both scales are equal at -40 degrees). Currently it's 45 degrees F here too.

Jim

ORIGINAL: ro347

Jim

WOWZERZ!!!! ....And im complaining of the weather here at 46 degrees right now.
Old 10-17-2009, 03:30 PM
sticktickler

No disrespect to the RCU members in the southern States, but I would like to hear some suggestions from modelers in the northern states, particularly the Dakota's, Minnesota (Minnflyer?) and Wisconscin since we share the same climate.

How do you store your models in a garage? Any concerns about the electronics or the engines? How about that -40 degree 40 mile/hour wind that comes in when the door is opened in mid January.[img][/img]

Thanks,

Jim

If you plan to tinker with any electronic device RC planes, TVs, computers whatever left out in the cold for a awhile. You must let it climatize (warm up) for a few hours after you bring it into the house. Bringing these item in from the cold to a quick change in higher temps can cause condensation just as it does to your glasses. Of course we all know that any moister on a electronic circuit is NEVER desirable. So let it sit warm up and evaporate a few hours before you turn it on to prevent a possible damaging short circuit. Modern electronics are rather robust these days but an ounce of prevention is a pound of cure and much easier on the pocket book.
A few drops of (after run engine oil) or simply automatic transmission fluid in your engine is a great way to prevent the condensation from internally rusting it seizing it up permanently. The fuels we use tend to augment this problem because they draw even more moister from the air. A thin coat of oil can save the day and your engine making it a whole lot easier to start next spring. We all love a good running engine.
Watch those plastic control horns in extreme cold any bumps to the craft they can snap like a twig clean off. I fly year round here in Iowa, many years ago on a cold day I found that out the hard way in the air OUCH! Now I use the metal ones for cold weather flying.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:30 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: w8ye

I just put them out there. They hold up just fine
Ditto, Most of my planes sit in the garage all winter with no ill effects.