Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

wagner paint sprayer?????

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

wagner paint sprayer?????

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2003, 07:41 AM
highflyer353535
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wagner paint sprayer?????

hi,just a curious thought can auto paint be delivered through a good wagner spray gun????? also what is best to use to clean out your gun after spraying auto paints? thank you
Old 07-02-2003, 11:45 AM
Gene Chernosky
My Feedback: (182)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can pour it in, the Wagner spayer will most likely spray it. How well...that's another story. You will need the proper tip size (H,M,L) to make the paint atomize properly. Make sure the atomizer is compatible with the type of paint you are using...otherwise it could be melted by the solvent/reducer in the paint. After you're done painting, whatever reducer was used for the paint will clean the gun.
Old 07-02-2003, 11:47 AM
SST
My Feedback: (2)

I wouldn't use a Wagner to paint a picket fence. Bought one years ago and it was whe worst piece of trash I'd ever seen. Wound up throwing it in the trash. That having been said, I like to use Laquer thinner to clean my spray equipment, since it will disolve nearly anything, and is cheap...Just ventilate well.
Old 07-02-2003, 10:56 PM
linclogs

Ditto what SST said about the Wagner.

I, too, bought one years ago. Used it once and can find no reason to ever use it again.

The gun was supposed to be able to spray housepaint. But I found you had to thin it so much (with water) that it was like applying no paint at all. Had to be more like the consistancy of colored water before it would spray evenly. Also, the instructions called for mixing "conditioner" with the paint so cost was prohibitive. About the ONLY thing I can see it MIGHT be useful for would be to spray very thin finishes - like wood stain. Think it might be OK for finishing very large projects, like a fence or deck that you might want to coat with an opaque stain. Consistancy of that type of finish would be very "watery". But I also found the concept of a completely self-contained spray gun to be heavy, awkward, and very tiring to work with.

For years I've used a Miller 2000 spray outfit that I bought second hand for about $40. Compressor is powered by a sewing machine motor and the set came with a large and medium spray gun and an airbrush. It will deliver up to 40 lbs. psi (which I think is about normal for spraying my choice of finish - butyrate dope). I fabricated an air holding tank out of a used, portable freon tank (the kind refrigerator repairmen use). I added an air gauge and an inlet and outlet (consisting of schraeder valves) to keep the pressure in the tank. Having the tank eliminates the surge from the little single cylinder compressor. It has served me well for many years. I used this small setup to completely refinish a full size runabout (boat) once and it did an outstanding job. That was marine enamel. I also built an electric guitar from a kit once and finished it with a zillion coats of candy apple red automotive laquer using this same system. Worked great for that, too.

They don't make the Miller set anymore but my advice would be to get a regular small air compressor and a small spray gun (like from Lowes or Home Depot) - I have those, too, even though I still use the little Miller rig because it's so easy to work with. But the point is it doesn't have to be big and fancy.
Old 07-03-2003, 08:12 AM
rorywquin

What SST said - it does not work !
Old 07-04-2003, 01:31 AM
Walter D
My Feedback: (16)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For an eternity I've been wanting to vent this out:

Wagner is a piece of Crappola! the one thing that you don't see in the commercials is the noise they make, the one I have hurts my ears, sprays paint in the worst way, it is so heavy, it tires your arm, and is almost impossible to adjust properly.

It definitely was not made to be used on anything else but a wood fence on a good propped up commercial. The power of advertisement, it works!
Old 07-06-2003, 04:29 AM
Gene Chernosky
My Feedback: (182)

The Wagner sprayers can and will work...for a while...'till you're just about through painting your wonderful project...then...bbblllaaaatttiiitttiittt...it screws up and in the process turns your wonderful paint job into a nightmare...in a nutshell, TOTALLY pissing you off! Now, do you really want to do that on an airplane, etc., that you have spent countless hours on getting it to the point where it is ready to paint...I certainly don't!

Sorry, but I'll stick to my standard air spray gun or simply use iron-on coverings. That's why I said 'how well...that's another story'.
Old 07-06-2003, 04:35 PM
tunnelvishon

Just bought a wagner for painting a porch. Took about a gallon of primer and every last bit of my energy in my arm.and patience. For laughs, I put on the second coat with a brush and used about 1/3 gallon of paint for the same coverage. Where did the rest go with the wagner?? HAHA probably floating in the jet stream over Japan. Try to stand one up without a full filling of paint in it...its designed to fall over and break the cheap plastic crap its made of. Do plan your retirement around cleaning one too. The only good thing about it is that its so noisy nobody will hear you cussing and swearing while you apply your "globs" of paint.
Old 07-08-2003, 04:30 AM
Devo

highflyer353535,

There is no such thing as a "good" Wagner paint sprayer. The best thing about them is, you don't clean them, Just throw it away after the first use!
Old 07-08-2003, 02:25 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Geez, from the sounds of it, you guys don't like those wagner paint guns.

I used one years ago. Thought it was a piece of crap too. Threw it away. Didn't waste my time cleaning it.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:15 PM
4Stroker
My Feedback: (33)

Default Wagner "Power Painter"

Loud, heavy and practically useless. I let a friend borrow it and never asked for it back! (Thanks for letting me share that.)

BTW, I too have the little Miller unit and it works like a champ. One thing about paints, ALWAYS follow the instructions regarding straining, thinning, etc. Just my 2 cts.
Old 07-09-2003, 05:39 PM
Shok
My Feedback: (28)

My neighbor 3 doors down used it one day to paint some stuff around the outside of his house.
Every car in a 8 house radius was covered in specs of paint.
Old 07-09-2003, 06:03 PM
heavy date-RCU

I would rather use the cheapest flea market air gun than a wagner. No kidding at all. Get a nice compressor and a good touch up gun. You will find you use the compressor all the time for many modeling tasks as well as household use. If you can, get a piston compressor! I bought a Craftsman 33 gallon horizontal. It is not the piston type. It works fine, but the motor is so loud it will run you out of the shop!!!!!!
Hans
Old 07-09-2003, 06:29 PM
tunnelvishon

I'm not sure how much spraying you have to do but as a cheap alternative I used a model airbrush kit years ago to spray a plane.
It was a bit time consuming but it worked fine. You see them at your LHS with the airisol cans as propellentsand small glass paint containers.
Old 07-10-2003, 03:01 PM
stang51

I'd blow paint thru a soda straw before I'd use a Wagner product again. It's just a waste of money and time. Invest in a quality airbrush and you'll have something that gives good results for years.
Old 07-11-2003, 12:43 PM
biplane41

Default WAGNER!!!!

Damn, just got one a week ago to paint my garage, can't wait to use that sucker now. No kidding. Hey, just thought of this, I'll try to return it for a good brush.
Old 07-12-2003, 04:31 AM
Devo

biplane41, save yourself some money and frustration and return that gem to the store before you get it dirty. Buy yourself a case of soda straws because that method would be way less irritating and cleaner too.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:05 PM
cbbase30

Default RE: wagner paint sprayer?????

It sounds or moreless looks to me that theres some jealous people in here that just cant afford a paint sprayer like wagners?
Old 09-02-2006, 10:15 PM
cbbase30

[:-]
Old 09-03-2006, 06:30 AM
bps

I loaned mine to a neighbor years ago and he has not spoken to me since! Fortunately he never returned the spray gun either.
Al kidding aside I would rather save my money a purchase even an enexpensive HVLP system such as the self contained unit with compressor you could buy at hardware stores. I think Harbor Frieght might sell one of these as well.

Just my .02

JEB
Old 09-03-2006, 12:22 PM
WhiteRook
My Feedback: (38)

hee haa, i got one , from someone free, no wonder why, it looks good but ya cant use it
Old 09-03-2006, 01:01 PM
bolar
My Feedback: (5)

I wish I hadn't bought mine with all the Wagners that you guys are giving away. It is loud, I had to wear ear plugs when I used mine. It mostly spits the paint on.

I wouldn't use it on a plane, your looking at about five pounds of paint weight if you do.
Old 09-03-2006, 02:11 PM
Jimmbbo

Bought a Wagner 2-step Pro-Duty Power Painter to repaint the interior of the house.

After carefully reading and following the well illustrated multi lingual booklet (including the lawyer-mandated red warnings about the hazards of injecting paint into one's body parts, explosion, fire, hazardous vapors, property damage, electric shock and unauthorized repair of the unit), I started with the kitchen and got the pantry painted, after using waaay too much paint and jamming a trusty set of foam plugs into my ears (a dozen sets should be included with the unit - this sucker is LOUD!! Surprised there wasn't a red warning about hearing loss - the only real hazard I could identify).

After fighting with the damn thing for a day, I finished the job with a roller and brush... this thing is outrageously noisy (at least when used indoors), guzzles its meager supply of paint, splatters as much as it sprays, but it also leaks, so we've got that going for us.... Oh, yeah... cleanup.... messy and lengthy... Reckon this "time saving" device cost me about two additional hours on the day I tried to use it...

Maybe it requires more technique and expertise than I brought to the project, but since it is advertised as a "Joe consumer" product, I was unimpressed...

Cheers!

Jim
Old 11-15-2017, 03:37 AM
Propworn

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Better off to do this than use a Wagner

Old 12-09-2017, 06:06 AM
MichaelSneddon

If you were using HVLP then yes you need to thin paint as if the paint is to thick it will not spray out smoothly. Additionally you typically leave the adjustments wide open. This is a good overview of how to use a spray gun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.