Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Stuck Carbs

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 10:45 PM
celestron10ngt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuck Carbs

I started flying RC planes when I was 18 and did so until I was 25. At the time I was in queens and I was flying at Floyd Bennett.
There were some people that were really good friends and they made going there so enjoyable but they were slowly passing away. A bunch of new people came in and it wasn’t nice anymore. I left the hobby because I got sick of the people at the field. They all acted like they owned the place. The impression was that they were trying to keep people out. I totally stopped when I moved to Long Island NY. I went out and got a helicopter and I learned to hover it in front of my house as live on a cul de sac. On occasion I would fly gliders in Syosset and that was enjoyable as I had the whole place to myself. Eventually I stopped that as well. I have the realflight sim and I enjoy logging stick time on the PC but I miss something. I am now 32 and I am 10 minutes from Cedar Creek in Wantagh. I think I want to fly again so I have decided to get back in. I feel that I might be better off in the winter as it keeps the people down at the field.

This provides some background for my current problem with my engines. Just about all of them have stuck carbs. They have been in my unheated finished attic, which stays about 50 in the winter and hotter in the summer. I have 2 .91 surpasses a .46 FX a .26 surpass and .15 SF. Then I have a .61 a .40 and a .25 by fox all brand new in the box and never even have the mufflers on them also with stuck carbs.

I tried some WD. No Luck

These engines are sentimental as there were given to me by a good friend. I would really like to see them in a plane again.
What should I do?
Old 10-17-2009, 11:00 PM
AndyW
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Stuck Carbs

Sounds like the oil has turned to varnish. A heat gun may help to soften the solidified oil. I had a badly stuck .049 that had run castor based fuel and was put away wet for 5 years. I freed it up by literally boiling it in oil. Not recommended really, hot oil can be dangerous but on the other hand, no more dangerous than making a batch of french fries.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:18 AM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have taken long unused engines and soaked them for a day in glow fuel. Take the back plate off the engine, remove the glow plug and put the engine in a small glass bowl. Now fill the bowl to just cover the engine. This most often will allow the parts to start moving. Were this to fail, you could then consider removing the carb and soaking it in mineral spirits or acetone for a while. Should you still have a stuck carb, you could try warming the carb to around two hundred degrees or so with a heat gun or oven. But be sure you have removed any neoprene parts(seals, o-rings, etc.) if you are going to start using heat above 200 degrees or so.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:16 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As said above, most carbs will free up with heat. The sticking is most probably caused by the caster oil residue from the old fuels. Nothing wrong with caster based fuels, just a fact that the oil will gum up with age if left unattended. Once heated up and re-lubed with fresh fuel, you should be good to go.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:44 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

A first step should always be a good soak in nothing more than just fuel. The next step if neccessary is simply heat as already mentioned and it can be applied in a number of ways such as boiling in water with a little dishwasher powder, applied directly albeit carefully with a torch or a gradual heating in an oven.

For what its worth dried castor oil is an excellent preservative and thats the reason so many older engines that were used with 100% castor are frequently easily ressurected.

John

Old 10-18-2009, 12:34 PM
tgeorge

Here is (was) my way to cure "stuck" engines.
I used the method that "airbusdrvr" mentioned. Being a lazy builder I never took real good care of my engines. Many were laid aside for 10-40+ years. Was never a "fan" of synthetic oil for fuel (too old to change??)
A coffee can filled with glow fuel always took care of any "stuck" engine.
ORIGINAL: celestron10ngt

I started flying RC planes when I was 18 and did so until I was 25. At the time I was in queens and I was flying at Floyd Bennett.
There were some people that were really good friends and they made going there so enjoyable but they were slowly passing away. A bunch of new people came in and it wasn’t nice anymore. I left the hobby because I got sick of the people at the field. They all acted like they owned the place. The impression was that they were trying to keep people out. I totally stopped when I moved to Long Island NY. I went out and got a helicopter and I learned to hover it in front of my house as live on a cul de sac. On occasion I would fly gliders in Syosset and that was enjoyable as I had the whole place to myself. Eventually I stopped that as well. I have the realflight sim and I enjoy logging stick time on the PC but I miss something. I am now 32 and I am 10 minutes from Cedar Creek in Wantagh. I think I want to fly again so I have decided to get back in. I feel that I might be better off in the winter as it keeps the people down at the field.

This provides some background for my current problem with my engines. Just about all of them have stuck carbs. They have been in my unheated finished attic, which stays about 50 in the winter and hotter in the summer. I have 2 .91 surpasses a .46 FX a .26 surpass and .15 SF. Then I have a .61 a .40 and a .25 by fox all brand new in the box and never even have the mufflers on them also with stuck carbs.

I tried some WD. No Luck

These engines are sentimental as there were given to me by a good friend. I would really like to see them in a plane again.
What should I do?
Old 10-18-2009, 04:56 PM
Jazzy

Be careful when using acetone, mineral spirits, naptha, gumout, etc. as it WILL dissolve or ruin any rubber o-rings/parts. Some plastics do not like these solvents either. Just a warning.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:08 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Heat gun then wd40 or glow fuel
Old 10-18-2009, 07:01 PM
anuthabubba
My Feedback: (102)

Some carbs with steel barrels wil rust in place. I've used EvapoRust to free up a few. It is a vailable at AutoZone and is non toxic, fumeless.

Terry in LP
Old 10-29-2009, 11:23 PM
celestron10ngt

After trying a few thing that didnt work. I got me some after run oil and covered the carb parts with it. I was able to then work them free with no damage. The after run oil only cost 4.99.

Thanks fo rthe advice...
Old 10-30-2009, 05:04 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I soak them down good with marvel mystery oil. It will free them up in just a few minutes.