Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Transporting a plane in a Car

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Transporting a plane in a Car

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 05:25 PM
qwijybo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transporting a plane in a Car

Hello,

I am new to the hobby but my one problem these days is getting my plane to the field in my small car. It fits ok if I fold down the back seat but my probelm is this. How can I protect the plane from damage while I drive out there? I have already torn a couple small hole in the covering of the wing on different trips. Are there any products that I can use to protect the wing and plane or are there some home brew solutions to help out? My plane is a Kadet LT-40 and the car is a 98 Cavalier.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:45 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Transporting a plane in a Car

My planes generally get more damage in storage and transport than when actually flying. You can try wrapping the wing and/ or fuselage in a blanket or something for protection. Another thing that is important is to keep the plane and other objects near it from moving and causing damage. Try some bungee cords, velcro, sand bag weights or whatever works to keep stuff from moving around and hitting other parts.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:19 PM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This was my solution. Bought it when it was nearly five years old with just 30,000 miles. [sm=shades_smile.gif]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93952.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	1298247  
Old 10-19-2009, 07:14 PM
ro347
My Feedback: (13)

Keep sharp objects way from plane. Make your own wing bags using reflectix and duck tape. Its practically the same stuff they sell you as a pre-made wing bag...sold at Lowes.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:44 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pay better attention to how you pack it. I've packed 6 medium to large planes in my van and never scratched a thing. I hauled 5 to 10 planes in a 5th wheel for years and had very little damage. It's all in the way you stack them. ENJOY !!! RED
Old 10-19-2009, 07:49 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

Fabric covered bungee cords can help secure things like wings. It's mostly just a matter of being careful.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:00 PM
Lnewqban

Seat belts are also helpful.

So are big towels that protect the seats from fuel leaks while wrap the propeller.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:11 PM
jamesc43
My Feedback: (2)

I bought children's sleeping bags from Goodwill. They only cost around 6 or 7 dollars each. I made them into
wing bags. I secure them with bungee cords. I guess you could use them to wrap the fuselage also. I've tried
it once. It worked ok.

I also read somewhere that you can use rolls of tape as a means to secure your planes from rolling around your
vehicle. I think the biggest issue is how big a plane and how small a car.
Old 10-20-2009, 04:13 AM
guille2006

I trasport my pattern ship on the Ford Ka's roof. WIngs inside the car with the all other tooling and just the fuse-tail assy well tied up there... And goes well!!!!
Old 10-20-2009, 05:16 PM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A friend put me on to his "prop cover"made from small pipe insullation. Keeps the prop from being an offensive weapon to wings. See pics. The hole cut in the middle is for the spinner / hub.

How's about loading up a couple of old socks lined with zip locks filled with gravel or kitty liter? These can be draped over the wheels of the plane to keep it from rolling in transit.

By all means use a wing bag or drape some old towels over the wings. Mine have never been "holed"but the covering has been abraded by rubbing against hard stuff while in transit.

Wad up some paper towel and stick in the muffler's exit to keep the fuel from dripping out. If the plane is transported inverted, cover the carb opening - 2-stroke engines use the crankcase as the intake manifold so there is fuel just waiting to drip out.

Name:	Wu60337.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	1298861   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30624.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	1298862  
Old 10-20-2009, 09:44 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I keep two wool "yard sale" army blankets in the car for the wings. I put the fuselages in cradles so they don't roll around.

PS - you can fit a Great Planes Ultimate (27%) and a Contender 60 in a VW Jetta Sport Wagon at the same time . . . just.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:57 AM
bryris

I carry mine in a 2000 Nissan Sentra - I have an LT-40 too. I will lower the back seat and stick the fuse in the trunk with the forward fuse resting on the back seat area. I have a couple planks of wood that fit well to block it from moving. I recline the passenger seat and lay the 6 foot wing on the floor board and onto the reclined seat.

The only problem with this is that I cannot carry a passenger. If my wife wants to go (not too often) or a friend - they must drive separately.

I have a Jeep Wrangler too, but haven't figured out a way to fit anything in there. Maybe my .25 Cub will fit when I finish it, but the LT-40? No way.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:22 PM
G.Barber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mini-vans are a nice way to go. I use my wife's for longer distance hauling. I drive about 5 miles to our field, so my pickup usually takes care of my transportation needs. One time, I even left the wings attached on my 1/4 scale Super Cub, and about a foot stuck out on either side of the truck! Since it is an extended cab, I can fit my field box, transmitters, and toolbox in the back seat, and still have room for two passengers.

That being said, another way to prevent damage is to make a travel stand out of 3/4" or 1" PVC pipe, covered with pipe insulation. Tese work well, and if you put a handle on them even work great for hanging in the garage/ basement!
Old 11-05-2009, 02:05 PM
dignlivn

I used my wifes pt cruiser till I got my
Aircraft Carrier,bought used. 2 years old.

Bob

Name:	Lj22290.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	1308446  
Old 11-05-2009, 02:37 PM
ArcticCatRider
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: gabarber

That being said, another way to prevent damage is to make a travel stand out of 3/4'' or 1'' PVC pipe, covered with pipe insulation. Tese work well, and if you put a handle on them even work great for hanging in the garage/ basement!
This is exactly what I did.

I've got an SUV...so there's plenty of room, but building the "rack" helped my planes from banging around. The roads I have to drive are crappy....full of potholes. There are tons of jagoff drivers...cutting you off, pulling out in front of you...making it necessary to slam on the brakes, swerve, etc.

So I built this rack....it hangs from the handles near the ceiling. Rubberbands secure everything in it's place in the rack. I could proabably roll the vehicle over and still not damage any of my stuff.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:27 PM
rc airplane nut
My Feedback: (5)

I put an ear plug in the exhaust to keep it from dripping. Just remember to take it out before you try to start the engine.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:53 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I stuff a 70" airplane through my passenger door in my 2dr Civic coupe. I tie a rope from the seat latch around the landing gear to keep it from rolling around, and just lay my wing next to the plane. With my Yak (same size) I have wing bags for the 2pc wing. Blanket/towel works well, but if you're careful you can get away without it.