Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Full Scale Aircraft wing loading??

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Full Scale Aircraft wing loading??

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 09:07 AM
trpastor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full Scale Aircraft wing loading??

Hey Guys, I was just wondering, and thought someone here may be able to answer. What is the wingloading of a full scale aircraft?

such as a red bull edge etc.

the cubic wing loading stays pretty consistent... meaning if you have a 60" plane with cubic wing loading of 9oz/in, and a 130" plane with a cubic wing loading of 9oz/in, they will fly about the same in terms of lightness etc. Does a full scale have anywhere near as light of wing loading (relatively speaking) as rc planes? Or are they much heavier?

they seem to float more, but all the math I can figure, they are WAY Heavier in scale terms.

Is that why real planes can't hover and do some of the more extreme manuvers you can get away with in rc? or is it power? Or both?

Old 10-30-2009, 10:21 AM
guille2006

Default RE: Full Scale Aircraft wing loading??

The wing load increases as the mass/dimmension of the plane and its speed increases. And airliner has VERY HUGE Wo/Sref (in the order of ton/m2), while a kind of Extra 300 is about 10 times our RC scaled Extras.
For more references; see the Daniel Raymer's Books.
Cheers
Guille
Old 10-30-2009, 11:12 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

trpastor, wing cubic loading is not expressed as oz./inch, it is a cubic loading; i.e. weight/area^1.5 power. It is a much better indicator of flyability than the typical wing loading factor of ounces/sq. ft.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:16 AM
trpastor

sorry about that. I was expressing incorrectly, but I guess my point being, that it does seem to be a better indicator of flying charecteristics, but a full scale plane is WAY out of this range. I think it's like 22 for a full scale edge from what i found onilne, vs, 9 for a good 3d ing plane.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:12 PM
Lnewqban

Some real numbers for your calculations here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extra_300

Loaded weight = 2095 lb

Wing area = 112 sqft

Wing loading = 18.7 lb / sqft = 299 ounces / sqft

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wing_loading

Elevated Reynolds number allows that high wing loading.

Those big wings moving at high speed can disturb the air much more than our little models, obtaining much more support out of it.