Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

LHS Have no stock

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

LHS Have no stock

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 09:50 PM
dignlivn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LHS Have no stock

My closest LHS is an hour away.

So when I go to the Big city and make a point
to stop at the LHS there's not much in stock.
There's plenty of arf replacement parts and china
stuff. No Prop selection two fuel tanks and so on.

I know times are bad but I get so tired of hearing
"I can order it for you " Wake up !

Thanks for listening,

Bob
Old 11-03-2009, 10:54 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Default RE: LHS Have no stock

I have the same problem. Could not be a better guy that owns the one I go to. I like doing business with him. It's 100 miles each way for me. So I send him a letter when I know I am going with a list. It's worked out great for both of us.

David
Old 11-03-2009, 11:39 PM
gsoav8r
My Feedback: (6)

Oh, I can relate. Here in the Queen City area theres a couple of Hobby Towns. They try to carry a little of everything for every specific hobby so the stores end up being almost full of nothing. Sadly no pure RC shop in town anymore. To get them to order something is an exercise in patience. They only order from their suppliers once a week. So potentially you could wait a week and a half for something.

My favorite hobby shop and the one that gets the majority of my business is about an hour away so I normally call them and get the goodies sent to my door. The nice thing is that they stock a lot of RC stuff but if they dont have it they can normally get in a few days.
Shipping from them to my door is one day if I call before noon-ish. Oh, and theyve always beat the mail order places on things like kits, engines, radios...

Cheers.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:10 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I lived in the mountains and my LHS was down in the vally, 50 minutes away or the other two were 1.5 hours away, never had anything but could order it, if they did you never did see the stuff. I did almost all my ordering on line so I was much better off then wasting my time with them. Most the places I use have free shipping on orders over 100 bucks so I wait until I need a lot of stuff before I place an order, no taxes either from most states. A few months ago I placed an order with Servo City, I think my order was $101.18 so I not only got my stuff on sale but saved on both shipping and taxes, couldn't beat that with a stick!!! If your LHS has nothing for you don't bother with them. Now I live close to four good shops and they usually have what I need in stock. My number one place is across town by the Vegas strip and they are always working on the freeway so I call before I drive over, if they don't have what I need they do order it for me and call when it comes in, can't beat customer service like that!!! About a three day order service. Prices are the same as Tower and Horizons advertised prices.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:17 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: gsoav8r
My favorite hobby shop and the one that gets the majority of my business is about an hour away so I normally call them and get the goodies sent to my door. The nice thing is that they stock a lot of RC stuff but if they dont have it they can normally get in a few days.
Shipping from them to my door is one day if I call before noon-ish. Oh, and theyve always beat the mail order places on things like kits, engines, radios...

Cheers.

Sounds like KC

They're also a great place to go hang out. Always have something you didn't think about hanging on the racks.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:22 AM
dhal22

i miss the pure rc shop. 99% of the time it was a waste of time to have someone ask if they can help me. i liked to spend 2 hrs buying some glue or a glo plug.[sm=teeth_smile.gif]
Old 11-04-2009, 08:10 AM
dignlivn

Thanks for the input guys.

I was just wanting a couple of props
and some glow fuel. The LHS had neither
in stock. It's Fall and I was looking for a Kit,
None in Stock either.

Bob
Old 11-04-2009, 10:14 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

What do you feel the shop should carry that it doesn't currently have?

ORIGINAL: dignlivn

''I can order it for you '' Wake up !

Thanks for listening,

Bob
Old 11-04-2009, 11:10 AM
dignlivn

ORIGINAL: exeter_acres

What do you feel the shop should carry that it doesn't currently have?

''I can order it for you '' Wake up !

Thanks for listening,

Bob

The List is long,

Props,kits,engines,fuel,covering material,Rx batteries,wheels,spinners,
balsa wood,fuel tanks,glow plugs, a full line of Dubro products,starters,
smoke pumps,fuel tubing, I'm sure i'm forgetting many things.

Bob
Old 11-04-2009, 11:14 AM
exeter_acres

The List is long,

Props,kits,engines,fuel,covering material,Rx batteries,wheels,spinners,
balsa wood,fuel tanks,glow plugs, a full line of Dubro products,starters,
smoke pumps,fuel tubing, I'm sure i'm forgetting many things.

Bob

the shop doesn't carry ANY of those things?

Wow.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:23 AM
dignlivn

I know it's sad.

I was wanting some props,fuel, smoke pump
and a futaba 2.4 Rx. None were in stock.

Bob
Old 11-04-2009, 11:26 AM
exeter_acres

No props?

what size did you need?
Old 11-04-2009, 11:28 AM
ChuckW

Sounds like you drove all the way out here and visited the local hobby shop I go to. When I need a prop or fuel line or whatever, I drive 30 minutes across town only to find they do not have it. It's sad. There are plenty of people in the area into the hobby that would buy if they just had the stuff. They have toys and puzzles though.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:03 PM
dignlivn

Chuck,

I hear you, toys, puzzles, and parts for toy heli's.

Exeter,

Was wanting some 13x6, 13x8,14x4w and what ever else
drew my attention. No wood props to speak of just a bunch
of little electric props. It was disappointing to say the least.

I have spare props on hand luckly,

Bob
Old 11-04-2009, 12:07 PM
mclina

Whenever I read one of these threads, I am so thankful that I have my LHS. They are purely devoted to RC, with most of their stuff being for glow airplanes. They also have a lot of heli stuff, electric stuff, cars and rockets.

This shop sits right in the middle of the few sites that I work at, so I can literally drop in every day if I need stuff. Today I stopped by for a gallon of fuel, some glow plugs, and a prop. They are always competetive with the online shops. The kit selection has decreased over the past year, but they still carry a lot of kits.

We have a few other shops in the local area, but they do not come close to this place in terms of selection or pricing.

http://www.rcbuyers.com/virtual_stor...ual_store.html
Old 11-04-2009, 12:09 PM
dignlivn

You are very lucky !

Bob
Old 11-04-2009, 03:46 PM
ArcticCatRider

I'm even luckier....I can think of 4 or 5 LHS that are within 30 miles of me.

Actually, one hobby shop I frequent basically serves the whole Midwest.

I only buy products from this shop. I never order online, or mail order.

I am willing to pay a premium to support my LHS. That's how badly I want it to stay around.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:44 PM
hsukaria

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my town, one LHS has been improving with selection and has excellent support. I go there for help, even when I don't know what to ask. They have a lot of hardware hanging on the walls and stacks of ARFs and some kits. Sometimes the temptation is too much to resist!! Their prices match the onlines except if I'm going to buy in a big bundle and get free shipping. But one thing to remember with the LHS, besides excellent personal support (the good ones), you can actually see and inspect the ARF/kit/hardware you are buying for defects IN THE STORE BEFORE YOU BUY IT. It is a 30 minute drive to get there, but I don't have to go that often. The other LHS's in town stink.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:45 PM
Gray Beard

Chuck, sounds like it has gotten a lot worse then when I was going there!! iT WAS PRETTY GOOD WHEN THERE WAS A YOUNG FELLOW MANAGING IT FOR THEM BUT WHEN HE LEFT THEY STILL HAD THE bOZOS left running the place. I am Blessed with Nice Twice Hobby Shop in Las Vegas, he stocks quite a bit for cars and boats but for the most part it is panes and all items relating to them. Like any store the folks working there may not know everything and all the odd items needed but at Nice they usuall know what they have and where it is located. When this shop is gone we will be left with Hobby People and Hobby Town, not bad places but they don't even stock a prop for anything bigger then a .91. Hobby People is where I always buy my fuel when it comes up on sale. It's sad when they have a big sale on some good items but don't have those items in stock though.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:46 PM
carrellh

We are pretty lucky in the Dallas area. There are several pretty decent shops. But, it's still a good idea to call about things before driving to any of them.
The selection of kits is pretty low at all of them but I understand why. Some of the kits that are in stock have been on the shelf for years. If they can't sell the kits they have, why buy more?
Old 11-04-2009, 04:48 PM
ChuckW

ORIGINAL: mclina

Whenever I read one of these threads, I am so thankful that I have my LHS. They are purely devoted to RC, with most of their stuff being for glow airplanes. They also have a lot of heli stuff, electric stuff, cars and rockets.

This shop sits right in the middle of the few sites that I work at, so I can literally drop in every day if I need stuff. Today I stopped by for a gallon of fuel, some glow plugs, and a prop. They are always competetive with the online shops. The kit selection has decreased over the past year, but they still carry a lot of kits.

We have a few other shops in the local area, but they do not come close to this place in terms of selection or pricing.

http://www.rcbuyers.com/virtual_stor...ual_store.html
I know where I'm going the next time I am in New England for business for vacation.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:55 PM
ChuckW

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

Chuck, sounds like it has gotten a lot worse then when I was going there!!
It has gone downhill. I don't think anyone expects them to have every kit and ARF under the sun but things like props, fuel tubing, wheels, etc. can mean the difference between flying and not flying on a particular day. I went in for some 15% Coolpower fuel a few weeks back and they were out. I asked one of the kids working there when they might be getting more and his response was "good luck". They did have it when I went back a week later though.

I've been in Nice Twice there in LV. Cool store with lots of stuff, especially in the back. I also like going to RC Country in Sacramento. I get up there for work several time a year and I always make a point to stop in. All sorts of engines, kits, ARF's, props, hardware, radios, you name it. Several of each too. It's a great store.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:22 PM
MILDBILL-RCU

I just moved here to N.Carolina fron N.E. Ohio. In Ohio, there was only one of those "corprate chain Hobby stores" They were good people & had a bunch of everything, but prices were set & no dealing with them. Here in N.Carolina, I found a good hobby shop that carries alot of thing for lots of hobbies. Their primary looks like cars, but they have a good selection for planes. I think it is the same hobby shop that "GSOA8R" is speaking of. Its 45 minute trip, so it is not as bad as others here. I consider myself lucky to have found 4 great clubs to join & a great hobby shop. Bill
Old 11-04-2009, 08:02 PM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: ChuckW

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

Chuck, sounds like it has gotten a lot worse then when I was going there!!
It has gone downhill. I don't think anyone expects them to have every kit and ARF under the sun but things like props, fuel tubing, wheels, etc. can mean the difference between flying and not flying on a particular day. I went in for some 15% Coolpower fuel a few weeks back and they were out. I asked one of the kids working there when they might be getting more and his response was ''good luck''. They did have it when I went back a week later though.

I've been in Nice Twice there in LV. Cool store with lots of stuff, especially in the back. I also like going to RC Country in Sacramento. I get up there for work several time a year and I always make a point to stop in. All sorts of engines, kits, ARF's, props, hardware, radios, you name it. Several of each too. It's a great store.
Chuck, last time I was in Sac I went there and bought a couple of YS 1.10s, boy did I get a deal!!! As for HP, last time there they didn't even have any props in stock, the bin was pretty empty. No covering choices or hardware to speak of. Mail order was just so much better and no one cared if that shop or the one joke we had in Merced closed there doors. We got our fuel at the club in case lots. There is another good {big} shop in the bay area but I forget the name, it was hard to find too, not easy like Nice Twice!!
Old 11-04-2009, 08:28 PM
Live Wire

Open your own LHS and you can stock what you NEED

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.