Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Balsa USA Enforcer

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Balsa USA Enforcer

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2002, 12:42 AM
crash86

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Balsa USA Enforcer

I have just completed an Enforcer. I have not flown it yet and would appreciate hearing from anyone who has built one and flown it. I would hate to crash it on it's maiden flight because it has some quirks I am not familar with.

Thanks, Crash86
Old 04-02-2002, 10:44 PM
DF_Flyer

Default Enforcer

I built the Enforcer's little brother, the Force One, a few years ago, and the one thing that I clearly remember is that its roll rate at the manufacturer's recommended aileron throws was way too much. This could have been because I used gapless hinges, but it was really touchy until I reduced the aileron throws. You might want to consider using your lower rate for the takeoff until you get some altitude built up. Hope this helps.
Old 04-02-2002, 10:56 PM
crash86

To DF_Flyer:

I really do appreciate your answer. One more question, did your plans indicate to put about three degrees up elevator and ailerons as normal settings?

Crash86
Old 04-02-2002, 11:20 PM
Dave Barrow-RCU

I had an Enforcer about ten years ago, it was a very good flying plane. I don't remember the aile-elev settings I had, but they were less than the instructions said. The three degrees of up elev-aile, is for slow flying stability. The only bad habit it will have, as a delta wing, is it will lose airspeed quickly in turns. Keep some power on through the turns and you won't have any problems. I am building another Enforcer now, but it will be Byron ducted fan powered.
Old 04-03-2002, 02:39 AM
LDaba
My Feedback: (2)

Crash: I posted in another forum on the flying characteristics of the Enforcer and heard about the speed bleed off in turns and a nose high attitude on final. Also the up elevator,or reflex, is necessary because of the delta wing configuration.
I have an Enforcer in the "to be built" pile.
I plan to do it as a SAAB lookin fighter, complete with Sweedish insignia, NATO camouflage and minigun/missle armament. It will also have retracts. I plan to use a Super Tigre .75 for power.
Good luck with yours.
Happy landings Tony
Old 04-03-2002, 06:23 PM
crash86

I want to thank everone for the good information about the Enforcer. I plan to use a GMS .60. I have never flown a pusher but I assume it will fly about like the tractors. Some of the projects you guys are trying sound very interesting. Keep us informed.
Crash86
Old 04-04-2002, 02:55 AM
DF_Flyer

Crash 86 - (Sorry for the late reply) I did put some up in the elevator and ailerons on my Force One. 3 degrees sounds about right.

BTW, one of my favorite things to do with the plane is to bring it in for really nose-high landing and control the sink rate with the throttle. If you use a little imagination it looks like the space shuttle coming in. After a little practice practice you will even be able to hold the nose off the ground for a few seconds after touching down. Please let us know how yours flies.
Old 04-04-2002, 11:36 PM
crash86

Well, I thought I had it ready to fly but, I felt I had too much slop in the controls so I'm going to mount the servos in the wing for all controls. That means tearing the covering off the bottom of the wing. Soooo! It will be a while before I get to fly it. Thanks again for all the answers. Keep e'm flying!!
Crash86
Old 04-05-2002, 02:16 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Enforcer

I test flew and trimmed one for a buddy and it flew fine, not sensitive at all. You do need reflex in any tailless design. His was even tail heavy. I had to use down elevator to get it to descend on final approach and even then, it wasn't overly sensitive.
Old 07-29-2002, 01:30 PM
miken96-RCU

Default More questions

I am preparing to build one for the purpose of a Cross Country Event. I am planning on a .91 or 1.20 4 stroke with a 50oz fuel tank. I need the fuel load because one of the legs is over 58 miles. I am figuring that with the economy of a 4 stroke over a 2 stroke I SHOULD be able to make it. A friend of mine has one with a 2 stroke .61 engine and a 28oz fuel tank. We could get about 25 miles to a tankfull at 45MPH. Am I off base here or will I need something different.??

TIA
Old 07-29-2002, 04:17 PM
crash86

Thanks everyone for the good information. I have the bird finished but I haven't flown it yet. Going to have a test pilot fly it first as I am 79 yrs old and my reflexes are a little slow. I'll let you know. Those great big fuel tanks sound awsome!! That sounds like a fun cross country though. Wish I could see the jet fly. The reason I call myself Crash 86 is: I crashed one on landing in Korea. A Mig 15 got me.
Old 07-31-2002, 04:26 AM
CLBetten
My Feedback: (16)

Default Enforcer

I have eight planes flyable at the moment and the Enforcer is my newest. I am using an OS91 four stroke with a 14x6 and 14x8 prop. If I were going to point out "quirks" about the flight characteristics I would warn you to be prepared for difficulty of orientation "a delta norm". With no rudder control take offs and landings in cross-winds can be tricky and require a fairly careful coordination of down elevator to keep enough weight on the nose gear so the plane doesn't take off prematurely and weather-vane directly into the crosswind. When you throttle back quickly it will also balloon a bit. With mine at full speed if I move quickly to idle it will balloon about 12 feet with no control input. Landing approaches require pushing the plane down a little and a little power to keep from stalling. Once I have gotten past the surprise of discovering these "and please note that I can make no claim to fame as an RC pilot" I have had a blast with my Enforcer. Once up to speed it flys quite level. The sound of the prop. swinging through the slot in the wing is a real attention draw. I love to get it in spinning fast just to see how easily it recovers. I am sure it will never win an I.M.A.C. contest but of all the "unique" looking planes I have flown it is surely my favorite. I can't wait to try it on skis! Enjoy flying, Cliff
Old 07-31-2002, 12:24 PM
eugene

two things I would recommend,,ditch the long aileron pushrods and add servos in the wings, also check the CG very carefully..like most delta wings they take sone adjusting to their quirks, but it is a fun airplane...
Old 08-31-2002, 02:40 PM
ADSPATTERN
My Feedback: (17)

I am thinking of buiding the enforcer. I like what I'm hearing about the flights. But, what about the building? How easy does it go together? I've never put anything like this together before (delta wing).
Old 08-31-2002, 03:31 PM
crash86

ADSpattern
I was a novice at building the Enforcer. I made a big mistake on the leading edge. The plans say to curve the leading edge skin over to the leading edge strip. Leave 3/32" above and below the rib when you glue the leading edge strip on. Run the balsa covering up to the 3/32" you left. Then shape the leading edge to the airfoil. I (stupidly) tried to curve the balsa over the leading edge. I knew better but did as the plans showed. As a result, I sanded the balsa so thin trying to shape it, I had to glass the wing back to where the covering began. Lot of work for nothing!
Also I agree with the comments above, place the aileron and elevator servos in the wing. You get nothing but slop doing as the plan shows.
Crash86
Old 09-02-2002, 01:19 PM
ADSPATTERN
My Feedback: (17)

Thanks, Crash86 sounds like it's not going to be that bad of a kit.
Old 09-04-2002, 02:29 PM
Frazzy

Hey crash86, you are building the right plane. I just built one this last winter and finally finished it up a couple weeks ago and flew it. I posted a small review at this link
http://www.flightlines.com/forum/For...ML/000139.html

I also have a few pictures in another forum there....http://www.flightlines.com/forum/For...ML/000189.html

Just make sure you cover the thing in bright colors and also contrasting colors on the top and bottom as it is real easy to be disoriented. Mine flew almost perfectly on its maiden flight. And it is the coolest plane I have ever landed. A real blast.
Old 09-04-2002, 10:09 PM
miken96-RCU

Default RE: Frazzy

What size Engine/Prop are you using, and what is the listed ground clearence from the engine to the ground??? Just trying to figure out my prop delimea...
Old 09-04-2002, 10:45 PM
Frazzy

Miken, I just went and measured. I am using an OS 91 Surpass with a 14x8 zinger pusher prop. I measured 2 1/2" ground clearance.
Old 09-04-2002, 10:50 PM
miken96-RCU

Default RE:

Frazzy,
I have a Saito 120S 4 Stroke I want to install and I am worried about ground clearence if I use a 15X8 Prop??? In your Humble opinion? Am I gonna be safe??????
Old 09-04-2002, 11:02 PM
miken96-RCU

Hey,
How TALL is the landing Gear???? I have a Fults Nose Landing gear and I plan on a Filts Main gear. If I was to lengthen the gear by 1", then my 1" larger prop wouldn't have any problems??? Just figured I would ask the question!!!

Thanks for all the replys!!!
Old 09-04-2002, 11:04 PM
Frazzy

Well, I would think so. Balsa USA's site now lists powerplants up to 120 four stroke. Besides, a 15" prop is only 1/2" longer on the ground side anyway, giving you 2" clearance, at least on my plane.
Old 09-04-2002, 11:06 PM
miken96-RCU

Thanks for all the reply's....... I expect my kit to arrive tomorrow, and I plan on finishing it to include a maiden flight on the 21st or 22nd.... If you have read earlier, I am going to put a 50oz fuel tank in it and fly it in a cross country event. The longest stage is about 70+ miles, so you can understand the need for a LARGE fuel tank and HUGE motor!??
Old 09-04-2002, 11:13 PM
Frazzy

Sounds like quite a project you have going. I didn't measure the landing gear length. I used the stock gear. you could even use larger diameter wheels if ground clearance is a problem. But I don't think you are going to have much trouble with a 15" prop and stock gear. I fly off of buffalo grass. Admittedly it is cut short.
Well, anyway good luck in your adventures and I will help if I can.
Old 09-04-2002, 11:16 PM
miken96-RCU

I fly off Pavement as a rule.. New mexico does not have that much grass or that many grass fields....
You have been a tremendous help!!!!