Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Motivation

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 05:24 PM
iflircaircraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motivation

Well I've been in this hobby for 20+ years and the last two or three years I have flown maybe a half dozen times. I have seven airplanes out in my shop three of which need repair. There was a time when I couldn't wait to build or go flying but lately I don't have the motivation to do either or to fix the ones I have.
What motivates you guys/gals?

Tom
Old 11-13-2009, 05:55 PM
eagledancer

Default RE: Motivation

usally going to a flyin or two to see some of what the other guys have going. that is what seems to motivate me most
Old 11-13-2009, 06:03 PM
mclina

I know this isn't for everybody, but I was kind of in a rut like that and I went and built myself a Mojo 40 and am teaching myself 3D. I hadn't been too interested in that aspect of the hobby, but now I am back to flying every chance I get. I have burned more fuel in the past 3 weeks than I did all summer.

Maybe you just need a new project, or to try something new with one of your planes. Maybe hang around the field with some new pilots and let their enthusiasm spread to you.

Or you could try helicopters, but I wouldn't recommend it [:'(]

Good luck
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26286.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	1313712   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92297.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	1313713  
Old 11-13-2009, 07:17 PM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: iflircaircraft

Well I've been in this hobby for 20+ years and the last two or three years I have flown maybe a half dozen times. I have seven airplanes out in my shop three of which need repair. There was a time when I couldn't wait to build or go flying but lately I don't have the motivation to do either or to fix the ones I have.

Tom
Well, I could go on for quite a while as to what motivates me; but I think the question you really need an answer for is; "What will motivate you"? Find a beginner; some one anxious to learn and full of excitement with his/her new hobby. Teach him and help him. Enthusiasm is contagious; and it can be borrowed. You can't be around some one like that without awakening your own interest. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:27 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Well, I would say friends are the biggest motivator for me. I have always dreamed of access to a huge shop where your best friends could all be working on planes...

But As someone that has gotten out of the hobby for years at a time, I will say this. If you have the bug..you CAN'T shake it. If you need to step away awhile and do something else its no big deal. It will probably draw you back in when you are ready.

Personally I will never spend anytime flying compared to building, and in fact I when I am the most in to it I would rather build than be at the field on a perfect day.

In the last couple years I have messed with cars a little, and built a low tech fun weedie powered crackerbox. Nobody is required to put in flights because they have planes at home

If a hobby gets a little stagnant, do some looking around ..you only live once they say!
Old 11-13-2009, 08:19 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't really know, I'm in the mood to be building but I don't have the room for any more planes. I have friends I have taught to fly so when I get the call from them I go out to the field and put in the stick time. My hart isn't really in it though? Before I moved here I was into IMAA and that kept me in the mood. One of my clubs was really into racing so I was one fellows pit man and builder so that kept me going. Now I'm more on my own and it's a lot of work to just go out flying. I could be building all the time though.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:18 PM
iflircaircraft

I have two helis one is the e-flite cx the other is the e-flite cp. The cx is no challenge and the cp I can't seem to get up and flying, My responses are not as fast as they once were!!!

Tom
Old 11-13-2009, 09:56 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

You can definitely always sell a nice airplane if you enjoy building ..but I know its easy to become attached to them...
Old 11-13-2009, 10:03 PM
Insanemoondoggie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This may seem a little wierd , but when I start getting burned out, I throw myself into my volunteer work . Helping others makes me appreciate how good I have it and put things back into perspective. Some times getting away from it for awhile , makes the old seem new again.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:53 PM
iflircaircraft

Well I forced myself to go out to my shop and look things over. Next thing I knew I had a plane in my stand and started to go over the damage from a flame out on take off. It isn't too bad, just some minor wing dings and tore out the landing gear and some of the lower forward sheeting towards the firewall. Now to fix it!!
It's a GP Super skybolt. Maybe now that I am fixing it, I'll put a hatch in the bottom under the fuel tank that I should have done when building it.

Oh and on volunteering: I dedicate all my free time to the better half!

Tom
Old 11-14-2009, 10:25 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: iflircaircraft

Tom
Lack of anything better to do?

Pretty sad, really.
Old 11-15-2009, 01:23 AM
aerofly0610

Flying is like visiting God. Now of course I cant fly cuz I'm not a bird. Nor do I have the money to get a real plane or ultralight,,,, so R/C with a camera... the next best thing!!!!
Old 11-15-2009, 07:58 AM
mustangman177

Try a SPAD...............They're cheap to build and fun to fly. It re-kindled my interest in RC.
Old 11-15-2009, 11:05 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Got to a few fun flys and try something new. I went through this about 5 years ago. It was not one thing that snapped me out of it. It was more a few new things to try.

David
Old 11-16-2009, 03:04 AM
cutaway

Doing something different than everyone else motivates me. There's a lot of different aspects of model aviation out there.

Build a control line plane. Build a Class D Satellite (a kick butt beautiful elliptical winged .60 size free flight plane). Try making a microfilm indoor model (try that once and you'll have a real appreciation for those hard core guys flying in the salt mines). Make a little HLG and start tossing it around, that's always fun. Pick up a HiStart and launch gliders with it.

I scratch build a lot of original designs of my own. Each one is a new adventure, each one unique. Having something that nobody else in the universe has makes that thing kinda special. It doesn't even have to be completely a new design, you can make some minor structural mods to something like a Kadet and have it looking a lot like a Rearwin, a Cub, Taylorcraft, Beaver, etc.

Every new aspect of this hobby you explore gives you a new skill set and expands your knowledge.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:14 PM
guille2006

Some day I was about to throw away everything and sell all my modelling stuff... But when I begun to put the prices on the "victims" i realised that I was bored of just modelling for nothing... I had no scope; I was just riding a crazy horse. So I decided to start with pattern and it was there when I fell in love again with this hobby... fortunately.
In other words: make the things you do having some sense, do them with some scope in mind... or don't do them.
I agre with somebody said here: get somebody to teach; share your experience!!!! enriches you as a person and as a hobby-man (sorry if I misspell the english)

CHeers and please >Tom; don't leave us!!!
Old 11-17-2009, 03:51 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: foodstick

You can definitely always sell a nice airplane if you enjoy building ..but I know its easy to become attached to them...
People will spend hundreds of dollars on an ARF but won't buy a kit built plane??? Never understood that. I only built to order. I would want to build something special then try to find someone that wanted to buy it before I ever glued any wood. I ended up doing a lot of set up for peoples ARFs more so then building planes.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:50 PM
iflircaircraft

This may sound a bit crazy to some but I think I found what had happened to me. I'm now working/eating/sleeping a 'regular' person's schedule.
When I started building and flying I worked swing (staggered) shifts (6&7 day work weeks, also twelve hour shifts) then went to a 3-11PM M-F schedule. I did my thing when I was home alone.
The last couple of years I went to a 7AM to 3PM day 5 to 6 days a week. I am home when the family is home and to be honest find it difficult to go out to the garage and build or go flying while everyone else is home.
Just something I have to work out for myself, but thanks for all the suggestions.

Tom