Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

whats my flying style??

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

whats my flying style??

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 07:28 PM
ceecrb1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats my flying style??

Ok i'm definately and rapidly out-growing my low wing trainer (phoenix dolphin)... Its time to move on to pastures new!

The problem I have is that my firstborn is due in march, so this year there will be very little plane buying I think!

SO.. I need to buy one plane to do all i'll want it to do. The biggest problem i'm having isnt choosing a plane... its knowing what "family" of plane to look for.

So... if someone can aim me in the right direction....

I like to fly larger acrobatics.. but if the odd snap manouver is possible better. I'm not intereted in flying 3d but if I could play with prop hanging i'd be happy...
looking for something of a 46 size glow engine based plane (however i'm going to fit os 55 ax.. its what i have.)

Obviously looks are important.. so as nice as a big stick flys... its just not pretty enough... but i dont want to go TOO pretty and worry about damaging it..

It has to be able to land slowly... as our club has orange trees right at the end of the runway.. so i have to come in high then make a last seccond dive... so fast planes accelerate and overshoot!.

I was wondering if something F3A (kyosho osmous or oxalys(theres on in lhs)) would be great... or the GP revolver.... Or a scale extra/cap/yak????
Personaly i'd love one of the new kyosho spitfire 50's but i think i'd bore of flying it quickly.... very pretty but can i throw it around a bit?
Old 11-15-2009, 08:12 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: whats my flying style??

F3A stuff is a lot of fun to fly. You can fly big, graceful aerobatics, do snaps and spins, and many of them will do some of the 3D things OK, depending on the size of the tail surfaces and how much throw you give them. They make you 'look good', they go where you point them, and they feel very stable.

Great Planes has a .46 size Extra out, with really good flight reports:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXVVG4&P=ML

F3A planes tend to have longer tails, so they track straighter, like they're on rails. The scale aerobats, like the Extra, have shorter tails for more maneuverability. F3A planes have smaller control surfaces for more precision and control, scale aerobats have larger control surfaces for extreme maneuverability.

You can look at the planes you're interested on youtube, or do a search on your favorite search engine for videos. Also check the RCU reviews for videos.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:52 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I second the GP Extra for several reasons...

- If you are conservative with it at first it will be a good next step from your current plane. It is a scale aerobatic plane but it's fairly forgiving compared to some others.
- With low control throws and forward CG it will make a great sport airplane.
- Crank up the throws and move the CG back and it will be extremely aerobatic.
- It will do a little of everything... sport, precision, 3D
- It will work excellent with the engine you have
- It looks outstanding

You mentioned the Revolver. It is another excellent airplane but it has a pretty slippery shape and doesn't like to slow down sometimes. That could be annoying based on your limited runway approach.

Old 11-16-2009, 07:37 AM
ceecrb1

Wow yeah I didnt know about that extra! Its very nice... already imagining it with an alu spinner to finnish it off!!

Seems like 2 posts with exactly the advice I needed...

Our club is only two years old and the runway is getting build this comming weekend, so its been totaly heli based untill I arrived and decided to just bash on repairing the undercarriage of my plane ever few weeks as I landed on the ROUGH ground...
(it gets nothing more than a herbacide spray.. no rollers no nothing).

Def gonna investigate more.. ta muchly
Old 11-16-2009, 10:12 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I will third the GP Extra and also throw the Goldberg Chipmunk into the pot.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:29 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Extra!! But everyone knows I like Extras. Out of all the different sizes of extras i have flown I have only ran into one with any bad habits, of course I own it!! Once we became acquainted and I discovered it's bad habit we have become friends. It's a one of a kind 30% Patty, all others have been wonderful planes. I also have some of the pattern planes like Joe mentioned, he is correct, they really are smooth but don't slow down for landings as well as a goot IMAC plane like the Extras. Not bad but just not as good.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:40 PM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

From the landing area you describe and the engine you want to use, I would also reccomend looking at a Sig Something Extra. With a .55 it will do prop hanging and most other 3D and will also land as slow as you want it to.