Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Secure payment by Paypal, think again!

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Secure payment by Paypal, think again!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 10:02 PM
tortugasteve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Secure payment by Paypal, think again!

A word to the wise, I have been recently scammed on Ebay by a guy named Emilano Martinez, also going under the name of emincorporated in the Westminster area of Colorado. I agreed a 'buy it now' for a Satio engine for $285 and paid by Paypal thinking it is a safe method, wrong!
Although I have made many successful transactions on Ebay before and used Paypal this one went wrong, here's why.

Firstly the seller through the Ebay message service requested a Paypal payment and sent me his email address I of course made the full payment including shipping. Instead of stopping the auction the seller let the auction run, ignoring all my emails and selling the motor to someone else. Now listen to this, on contacting Ebay they said quote 'this does not qualify as an Ebay sale as the seller asked for the payment instead of sending an invoice'. Even though all messages, which have a security code were obeyed and there was no contact outside the ebay site it didn't count for diddly!

'Sorry we can't help you'. Even though the guy refuses to reply, has my money and has other items for sale Ebay are unconcerned.

So I'm fully covered by Paypal right, wrong!

Here is a copy of their email to me

'We have concluded our investigation into your case and have decided in your
favor.

We were able to recover $22.01 USD and this amount has been credited to
you. Please allow five business days for this adjustment to be posted.

If you are due any additional funds, we will make our best effort to
recover the balance from the seller.

If the seller's account has insufficient funds to complete the refund owed
to you, please be assured that we will take appropriate action against the
seller's account, which may include limitation of the seller's account
privileges.'

Great! Big deal 22 bucks so much for Paypal's protection which I like many I guess assumed it to be unconditional! Not!

Be very careful people, shame these low life's spoil it and all Ebay and Paypal care about is making money, for themselves of course!

Old 11-17-2009, 10:27 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Secure payment by Paypal, think again!

You just figured this out?? Most people do very well with ebay, I got had but it wasn't much money and it was my first and last use of ebay. There are a lot of people here on RCU that have had problems so I don't feel too bad about it. You lost a bunch though!! Sorry to hear about it. Once burnt twice shy!
Old 11-17-2009, 11:14 PM
huck1199

Here is another issue - I used Paypal to purchase from a China distributor. Pay Pal says you pay them and they pay to seller and indeed their transaction records shows this when you view your account. But my credit card statement shows the name of the seller and charges me for a foreign transaction. The seller's itemized bill shows a PayPal charge that they absorb and do not pass on to the buyer. My question is why does my credit card issuer know who the seller is if they paid PayPal. I suspect that Pay Pal does not actually complete a transaction to themselves but just passes the transaction thru their system thus they have no liability. But they charge the seller for the service. I will not use PayPal anymore since I trust the seller and have to pay a foreign transaction fee anyway.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:33 AM
TomBates

Hi guys,
I'm an avid coin and rock & mineral collector and have been using PayPal for several years without any problems. This includes many foreign purchases. Whenever I found a dealer that I've never used before I always made a very small purchase just to see how it went. Problems????, drop this dealer. I've had disputes with a few dealers which PayPal always handledand eveything worked out in my favor. PayPal always made sure I got my money back. Like I already mentioned, always make a small purchase first just to test the waters.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:41 PM
Kimhoff
My Feedback: (22)

You will get flagged but this would pi$$ me off so bad I would put very high bids on everything this idiot has on ebay and then e-mail him a piture of the my hand with the middle finger raised.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:49 AM
ZERO-322
My Feedback: (2)

LOL I Love it great idea !!!!
Old 11-19-2009, 09:01 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I also had the same deal with Pay Pal. The protection they speak off only works if the other party has money in his account. With the amount of time that Pay Pal takes to look at a claim the scammer can clean out his account and the buyer is screwed. They still owe me $80.00 from about 4 years ago. Not holding my breath even though I won my appeal with them. I am sure that the scammer that I dealt with has had dozens of different Pay Pal accounts and has scammed dozens more honest folks, put Pay Pal could care less, just so long as they get their percent of each sale. Good Luck, Dave
Old 11-19-2009, 10:21 AM
wahoo
My Feedback: (59)

Hi guys,

Theres a real simple solution to the trouble with Paypal.
Just use a credit card to make all your paypal payments.

I've been buying from Ebay for a long time with only a few
bad experiences and each time it was as simple as calling
my credit card company.

wahoo