Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Dual Airlerons

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 12:31 PM
mrsand

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual Airlerons

I have a H-9 Hellcat arf. The plane has a servo for each airleron. I am using a 2.4 Futaba 7 channel trans and receiver. Normally a airleron works on C-1. I have 2 into 1 harness plugged into C1...nothing works. If I unplug the right air. the left one works..but not the other way. I can get both to work on Channel six however....is that normal..this is a flaperon channel. I'm puzzeled..Can anyone give me some good advice. Thanks.

Mr.Sand
Old 11-22-2009, 01:21 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Dual Airlerons

Try using a different "Y" cord.
Old 11-22-2009, 01:56 PM
42etus
My Feedback: (2)

Forget the Y cord. Plug the right aileron into channel 1 and the left into an unused channel, probably ch 5 or 6, and use an aileron to gear ( or flap ) mix. That's what the mixes are there for. If you must use a Y cord, do as Minnflyer said and try a different cord. Sounds like the one you have is defective.
Paul
Old 11-22-2009, 02:42 PM
1320Fastback

If you have the extra channel there is no reason to not use it as long as both the wires reach. Besides the safety factor you can get some creative mixing going on like both ailerons up with up elevator/or both down, spoilerons and flaperons too.
Old 11-22-2009, 04:19 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Your Futaba should defalt to ch 6 or ch7 for the other ail. servo. If you read your instructions it will be under flaperon and ail. diff. I use ch 1 and 7 most the time, the instructions will tell you the reasons for diff. If I want flaperon or spoileron I use ch6 but don't bother with any mixing with your plane. If you want to play with all the fun stuff get a cheap fun fly plane that is cheap and you don't care about!! If you can avoid Y-harnesses do it, they tend to be one of those things that go bad. You bought a good radio with features, use them!
Old 11-22-2009, 06:51 PM
mrsand

ok, heres what I've done

I've tryed every combo I can to make both servos work off of C-1..no go..only one servo on the 2 to 1 harness would work...the left A.servo..couldn't get both together..I thought the new non-working futaba 3004 was bad...I checked it independently and it works...I could make the right A.servo work when I reversed the plug into the harness..then the other servo would not work..

Finally, I abandoned C-1 went to C-6 with the 2 to 1 harness and enabled the swtich on the tranmitter for flaperon..its works..but I have buddies at the field saying I shouldn't get the flaperon and airlerons mixed up..I don't have flaps ..I dunno

so C-1 in the receiver is empty
C-2 is elevator
C-3 is throttle
C-4 is rudder
C-5 is retracts
C-6 is a 2 into 1 harnessed airleron..I guess..there working

Old 11-22-2009, 07:53 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What happens when you plug in just a servo into ch 1?? In your instructions it should show CH 1 as the right aileron then you just plug in the other servo into 6 or 7 and actavate ail. dif. for 7 and flaparon for 6. If all else fails read the instructions, if that fails then there is a Q&A section on the Futaba site. Sometimes I have been known to get a bit lost in the instruction book and the web site cleans up my gray mater.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:06 PM
Tom Jones
My Feedback: (4)

mrsand: sometimes you have too uninhibit the flaperon mix to make them work. Most of the mixes come set with inh turned on.I hope this helps. Tom
Old 11-24-2009, 07:01 AM
mrsand

Gray Beard,

When using a harness into C1 or trying to individually plug into C- 1 and C-6 only one servo works. All works fine in C-6!!! Right roll-Right aileron up....Left Airleron down-Left rollleft airleron up....right airleron down. This is the flaperon channel on the Futaba T7C transmitter. I guess since the plane has no flaps..there's no mix.

MrSand
Old 11-24-2009, 08:22 AM
dignlivn

Can you post a pic of your "Y" connector and Rx ?

Bob
Old 11-24-2009, 12:00 PM
crossman

ORIGINAL: mrsand

Gray Beard,

When using a harness into C1 or trying to individually plug into C- 1 and C-6 only one servo works. All works fine in C-6!!! Right roll-Right aileron up....Left Airleron down-Left rollleft airleron up....right airleron down. This is the flaperon channel on the Futaba T7C transmitter. I guess since the plane has no flaps..there's no mix.

MrSand

As I read this, when you move the stick right, the right aileron moves up and the left one goes down. If so, they are moving backwards. You will need to reverse the channel. From your description, something is turned off in the transmitter. If you don't have the manual, it can be downloaded from the Futaba site. Make sure you get the right manual, the 72mhz and the 2.4Ghz 7C's are not the same radio.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:28 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: crossman

Gray Beard,

MrSand

As I read this, when you move the stick right, the right aileron moves up and the left one goes down. If so, they are moving backwards. You will need to reverse the channel. From your description, something is turned off in the transmitter. If you don't have the manual, it can be downloaded from the Futaba site. Make sure you get the right manual, the 72mhz and the 2.4Ghz 7C's are not the same radio.
WHOA!!!! I must strongly disagree with the above comment to the original quote. When the aileron stick is moved to the right, the right-hand aileron must move UP and the left-hand aileron DOWN. When the aileron stick is moved to the left, the left-hand aileron must move UP and the right-hand aileron DOWN.

To have two servos operate the ailerons so that you have one servo operating the left aileron and one servo operating the right aileron, you use the Flaperon function in the 7C transmitter. Page 42 of the instruction manual tells you how to do this. You then just don't use the flap function. Center the flap knob and all will be well.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:27 AM
mrsand

Thanks for the advice Bill,

Below is the response from the Futaba authorized technician....

"Plug the right aileron in to channel 1 and the left in to channel 6 and activate Flaperons in the advanced menu. You may have to reverse channel 6 in the basic menu."

This doesn't work for me....when this direction is followed only the left airleron works...

What works is plugging in the 2 to 1 airleron harness into C-6 ,(C-1 is empty), and turning the flaperon switch in the trans. programing to on...this plane has no flaps..don't know what else to do. Since the plane has no flaps it appears only the normal airleron function works..but only when I reverse the male plug from the harness into the female plug on my short extension into C-6...sorry for this confusion.

I have the T7C manual...I'm assuming since the plane has no flaps..I can ignore all the directions about trim and mixing interferring with normal airleron function

Mr.Sand

Old 11-25-2009, 11:54 AM
crossman

ORIGINAL: Bax

ORIGINAL: crossman

Gray Beard,

MrSand

WHOA!!!! I must strongly disagree with the above comment to the original quote. When the aileron stick is moved to the right, the right-hand aileron must move UP and the left-hand aileron DOWN. When the aileron stick is moved to the left, the left-hand aileron must move UP and the right-hand aileron DOWN.

To have two servos operate the ailerons so that you have one servo operating the left aileron and one servo operating the right aileron, you use the Flaperon function in the 7C transmitter. Page 42 of the instruction manual tells you how to do this. You then just don't use the flap function. Center the flap knob and all will be well.

Bax and All.

OOPS!! When I finished typing that, I thought, "I hope I'm thinking this through right". That should have been a clue that I wasn't.
Old 11-25-2009, 01:02 PM
mrsand

I continued to switch wires and heres what is working now

1 removed the 2 into 1 harness
2 plugged the left airleron directly into C-1
3 plugged the right airleron directly into C-6-polarity reversed on the plug

all seems to work with flaperon switch turned on in transmitter.

left roll left airleron up/right airleron downright roll right airleron up/left airleron down

Mr.Sand