Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

landing inverted

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

landing inverted

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 04:10 PM
tankengine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default landing inverted

Thisl is my first post. I've been out of flying for 8 years and want to get back in. About 20 years ago I had a Lanier Jester w/ K&B 61 that I flew thousands of times. It got so boring I started dragging the tip of the rudder inverted on the pavemant. So then I put gear on the top (tail dragger) and landed inverted tail dragger or right up tri-cycle gear. It was a lot of fun.

I would like to do some of this again and wonder if any kit/ARF mfgs. make something like this without having to manufacture it again.

Anyone have knowledge of such a plane.

Any help appreciated.

thanks in advance.

Tom Bufkin aka Tankengine
Old 11-22-2009, 04:23 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: landing inverted

You aren't going to find it on an ARF, well, none that I have seen. We used to add top gear on the GP Up-Roar kit, you can now get them in ARF too. Your better off building the plane so you can add the LG blocks and make any mods you would like.
Old 11-22-2009, 04:37 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One of the profile airplanes like those from www.ohiomodelplanes.com or www.swanyshouse.com might be good candidates.

The profile Hots fun fly would be another good one to modify like that. You can get the plans from Model Airplane News and the thing is so simple to build that one can practically be framed up in one day.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:42 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Not likely you will find any kits, Arfs or plans for double gear but lots of folks have done it, not to difficult to come up with a simple setup though. Any profile airplane or box section fuselage will be very simple. Here is a simple set up the last time I was doing it, in this case .35 sized controlline about 2002.

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67908.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	1318776  
Old 11-22-2009, 08:34 PM
tankengine

Thanks JohnBuckner, Chuck W. and Gray Beard for your input.

I'll probable just modify one of my too many kits that I still have unbuilt. I was just thinking maybe!

Old 11-23-2009, 08:39 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Tom, if you're bored, have you tried 3D flying?
Old 11-23-2009, 09:02 AM
tankengine

Sounds somewhat exciting! But please explain.

thanks Tom/Tankengine
Old 11-23-2009, 09:32 AM
MinnFlyer

"3D" is a type of flying that has become very popular in the past few years.

The planes are very light, and the engines are very powerful and they have massive control surfaces with radical throws. They also tend to use large props with a low pitch (sort of like using first gear in a car).

These planes have a much better than 1 to 1 power ratio, so they can hover and do all sorts of things that airplanes shouldn't be able to do.

Have a look at this video we shot at Joe Nall last spring:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv6xMKTzBkA
Old 11-23-2009, 11:06 AM
Villa

Hi tankengine
Many of the planes in the SPAD forum, below, can very easily me modified to do what you want.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:27 AM
tankengine

DAMN!

That guys good!

I could do that but I can see that it would take a lot of devotion/repetitive flying to get that smooth hand to eye. I used to have a good hand with all types of the older styles and I enjoyed fast and slow alike. I still have many kits I've held over the years and a lot of new old stock engines. I'll just have to build up a couple. Maybe a trainer and a sport model that I can knock around just to see if it is still as inspiring as it used to be.

thanks for the link and your input,

Tom Bufkin/Tankengine
Old 11-23-2009, 12:04 PM
David Bathe

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Not wanting to distract or be synical but it's a definite case of:  when you've seen one hover/KE loop/torque roll/ you name it... you've seen 'em all.... regardless who's flying it! I was really looking forward to some serious precision stuff from QQ there but alas... typical raggy, 3D dull. 
I believe you're better of seeing what the younger generation are doing with the indoor foamies. Just mind numbing! There's a couple of vid feeds somewhere on RCU. Check them out... the  eye-brain-thumb co-ordination of those guys is simply off the scale and the precision... something else.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:17 PM
MinnFlyer

Tom, you might want to invest in one of the new Flight Simulators. They have come eons in the past few years (But you'll need a hefty computer to run them)

Here is a sample video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8y3a...eature=related
Old 11-23-2009, 04:43 PM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just do a Pitts and go to scale contests. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ApSDpnA2k0
Old 11-24-2009, 08:33 PM
Dave McDonald
My Feedback: (19)

Tankengine, about 10 years ago I was in a similar situation as you were........getting bored with flying RC. Then I discovered 3D flying, and haven't been bored since!

Some complain that 3D flying is boring to watch. But the thrill doesn't come from watching 3D flying, it comes from piloting a 3D plane.

Here's an example of a typical 3D profile plane, powered by an OS 55AX. GOBS less money that the big fattie planes, and just as much fun to fly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euTDSG42IW4

You can even mount a gear on top if you want to.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:54 PM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dave McDonald

Tankengine, about 10 years ago I was in a similar situation as you were........getting bored with flying RC. Then I discovered 3D flying, and haven't been bored since!

Some complain that 3D flying is boring to watch. But the thrill doesn't come from watching 3D flying, it comes from piloting a 3D plane.

Here's an example of a typical 3D profile plane, powered by an OS 55AX. GOBS less money that the big fattie planes, and just as much fun to fly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euTDSG42IW4

You can even mount a gear on top if you want to.
Same for me, if I had not started to fly 3D around 10 years ago, I would of most likely have stopped flying all together, because I was bored out of my mind with flying in circles and practicing precision.

Bob
Old 11-24-2009, 11:34 PM
tankengine

Thanks Dave for the input. That does look like it could be fun. For now, for me it looks dangerous. How much does that plane weigh? I'm guessing about 4lbs.

I guess I could just slow down the throws somewhat and fly it old style till I could work myself up to that style of flying.

While watching you fly in the video I tried to imagine myself doing the flying and I was twisting around in my lazyboy saying whoa!! a few times!

Once again, it looks to be exciting as you said.

I wonder if a OS 61 FSR-ABC-Rear Exhaust would be sufficient for that same air frame? do you recognize that engine? I have a new one never used. What do you think?

once again thanks,

Tom Bufkin/tankengine

Old 11-24-2009, 11:50 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm with Dave on this, I'm good for watching 3-D for about 5 minutes a year and I'm full up. Watching will put anyone to sleep but I still like to hover and fiddle fart around with some of my planes, it's a lot harder to do then watch, well maybe not, watching takes it's toll but it really does take a lot of skill and stick time to get any good. The Epowered foamies are the planes most the guys I know flying 3-D learned with. Electrics have really come a long way over the years!!
Old 11-25-2009, 02:08 AM
Dave McDonald

Tankengine, your guess was pretty close. The plane in the video weighs 4 1/2 pounds.

Learning to fly 3D isn't really as dangerous to a 3D profile plane as you would think. Since the forward momentum is nearly zero, hitting the ground usually doesn't do much damage.

Learning to fly 3D will put the thrill of learning back into your flying. Almost all of your instincts you learned from flying "normal" planes will have to be relearned for 3D. For example: Altitude is NOT your friend anymore. Airspeed is NOT your friend anymore. Chopping the throttle and pulling up elevator to get out of a sticky situation is NOT the correct thing to do anymore. Unlearning habits that were previously revered as gospel will keep you busy for awhile......which is what puts the excitement back into RC flying.

Yes, I do recognize the OS 61 FSR ABC VF rear exhaust engine. In fact I've got two of them that have never been run because I never had a plane that the rear exhaust layout mated well with. The OS 61 FSR was....and still is very good engine. I'm still flying a side exhaust OS 61 FSR in a Ultra Sport 40 ARF. But it's way too heavy for the 3D profile in the video. The OS 55AX has similar power, and is about a 1/2 pound lighter. Plus the rear exhaust layout will interfere with the mid-wing design.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:23 AM
tankengine

Thanks again Dave,

1/2 lb. is alot when it comes to this realm of flight I imagine. I just have about 50 or more new old stock engines that I've held over the years and I'm just thinking wow, buy yet another engine. I'll probably try to sell or trade a few things and reduce my stock of older stuff (just to make myself feel better about my obvious OBSESSIVE COMPULSIVE DISORDER).

I have no knowledge at all about the 2.4 ghz. radios. Once again just trying to not have to buy (everything) to get started again.

Tell me about the Futaba 9VHP PCM 1024 9channel radio I have still with 5 perfect receivers and plenty of unharmed servos the model numbers of which I'm not sure I remember.

I think they are S501, S130, S9102; I guess I should go to the hangar and make a list of numbers before I ask this question. Also, I tossed the nicads when I stored the radio. I guess I can get NIMH for the transmitter and receiver batteries.

In your video ,walking up to you plane, letting go of elevator/aileron and parking the plane in your hand was really cool.

Have you ever took off from a vertical stand; did your routine then parked it vertically on the same stand just to impress the crowd?

thanks again for your input Dave,

Thomas Bufkin/tankengine
Old 11-25-2009, 08:33 AM
MinnFlyer

Tank, you're radio and engines are fine. You may want to upgrade as you progress, but you can use everything you have for now.

Just use a low-pitch prop and find a nice little 3D profile plane and have a ball!
Old 11-25-2009, 09:10 AM
Dave McDonald

So what engines have you got in the .40 to .50 range? One of them might work good enough for a 3D profile plane without the need to buy a new engine.

There is really no need to replace your old Futaba 9V radio with a new 2.4 Ghz radio, unless you simply want a new one. The 9V will work just fine. I'm still flying an old Futaba 9ZAP, which isn't much newer than your 9V.

The servos in my Primo are old Futaba 131SH running on 6 volts. Got any of those laying around?

I never built a dedicated VTOL stand. But with my 3D spad planes it's fun to hang them on top of a chain link fence by the landing gear, take off vertically, then land vertically and hang it back on top of the fence. I can't really say it's a crowd pleaser since most everyone else has left the flying field before doing that kind of stuff.

After a 10 year absense, you've got a lot of catching up to do! 3D flying, SPA3Ds, PBFs, Foamies, Electric planes, EDFs, Bind-N-Flys, and lots more. Welcome back!
Old 11-25-2009, 10:02 AM
crash99
My Feedback: (3)

What can I say? ........ Dave covered it. Dave is 100% right. Welcome back.

Crash99
Old 11-25-2009, 10:28 AM
Villa

I believe that touching that 3D airplane while it is flying is contrary to AMA regulations. Does everyone else know why? If you don't, I never want to be near you when you fly. When people try that at our field, I leave.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:44 PM
tankengine

Hey Dave, sorry I told the world you fly dangerously.

Some of my engines are as follows: New in box:

OS 61FSR-H
OS 61FSR-ABC
OS 61 VF-H ABC
OS 45 FSR-H
WEBRA SPEED 61
ENYA 60XF-III GM-10BAL-CHRO
ENYA 60 XF-II TV RING
K&B 61
OS FS-90 FOUR STROKE
OS FS-120 FOUR STROKE

SERVOS ARE:

FUTABA
S-5101
S-130
S-9201
JR
NES-L4001
NES-401
NES-517

Thanks again for putting up with all my questions. I'll try to leave you alone now!

Happy Thankgiving

Tom Bufkin/tankengine
Old 11-25-2009, 01:44 PM
Dave McDonald

Like beauty, dangerous is a relative term.

Most any .60 size engine is pretty much a boat anchor by today's standards. Most manufacturers bored out the .60s to .90s, which made them lighter and much more powerful. The OS 55AX has similar power to a .60 but is built on a .46 size crankcase so it's much lighter. So the old .60 engines have pretty much become orphans.

The 45 FSR would work well in a 3D profile plane such as a Mojo. The Mojo would be a very good choice to begin 3D flying. http://www.swanyshouse.com/mojo/mojo.aspx

Of the servos you listed the 9201 would be my choice. On 6 volts the speed and power would work fine in a Mojo.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.