Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Help! Wing hold down broke on Big Stik 60

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Help! Wing hold down broke on Big Stik 60

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2003, 01:29 PM
68Chevelle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Wing hold down broke on Big Stik 60

During a slight mishap on landing my GP Big Stik 60, my wing clipped a culvert and tore the front tab on the wing hold down. The nylon bolts at the rear did not break. The little tab on the front of the wing where it locks into the front fuse sheared off and tore the former. I am going to rebuild the former and was wondering how I can fix the wing tab. Should I do surgery on the wing and insert some hard blocks and insert a dowel? I don't know what or how to line up the dowel with the block I am inserting in the fuse former. Any suggestions???
Old 07-03-2003, 01:34 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would open it up, put ply plates in with triangle stock on them and put plates under the wing in the fuse with triangle stock bracing and use wing bolts up there. One on each side. I have it that way on mine. Works really well.
Old 07-03-2003, 02:52 PM
Spaceclam

I would get a wing kit, sence performing major surgery on a very critical part of the plane that way is a little risky.
Old 07-04-2003, 04:14 AM
Taildrager-inactive

I did the same thing a couple of times on my stick, just build it back with bracing, and if all else fails dowel rod like a trainer and 12 #64 rubber bands.
Old 07-05-2003, 01:50 AM
FLYBOY

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by Spaceclam
I would get a wing kit, sence performing major surgery on a very critical part of the plane that way is a little risky.
Risky?

Have you only built ARFs? It is a very easy fix. Shouldn't take more than an hour start to finish!

Theres a lot to be said for knowing how to fix a plane. You don't just replace it if the covering tears or a minor part needs replacing. I have done major surgery to many planes for many people. This is very minor.
Old 07-05-2003, 12:07 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I made the same repair to a relatively aerobatic plane of mine last fall. Flying fine, and I haven't pulled the wing off yet.
Dennis-
Old 07-05-2003, 03:15 PM
68Chevelle

Thanks everyone! I think I'll go with the 2 screws up front. Sounds like it would be stronger and less stressful on the center wing.

Thanks Again!!!!