Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Spacing--Spinner backplate too cowl??

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Spacing--Spinner backplate too cowl??

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 02:00 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Spacing--Spinner backplate too cowl??

On my 80" Extra, I have 1/8" spacing between the spinner backplate and the fiberglass cowl.

Is this okay?--or does it need to be more-- or less??

I'm not usually the kind of person who builds a beautiful scale model-- but this one is nice and I don't want it to look out of place. I have minimal--(actually; NONE)--experience with spinners and glass cowls.

Thanks
Old 07-15-2003, 02:40 AM
CAPtain232
My Feedback: (40)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen plans call for 1/8" to 3/8".

In my opinion, 3/8 is too much for just about anything. What you want is enough clearance so that as the cowl vibrates/bounces around, it doesn't hit the spinner. This clearance is really determined by the mounting system for the cowl. If the cowl is mounted such that it moves quite a bit, then you need more clearance.
Old 07-15-2003, 03:06 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

What is the negative effect of too much clearance?
Old 07-15-2003, 03:16 AM
Giant Scale

I'm not aware of any negative effect except that it make look odd.
Old 07-15-2003, 04:14 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Cowl mounting

My cowl is mounted internally. I glassed a 1/4" plywood ring inside the cowl and installed 10-24 blind nuts. I drilled holes in F-2 former and mounted with nylon bolts. The cowl overlaps the fuselage by about 3/4".

I'm using a 3.5" spinner. I cut a 3" hole in the cowl where the prop hub exits. So, I have about 1/4" undersized hole all around behind the spinner.

I don't know how much my engine will shake on the plane yet. I just got some aluminum standoffs for it and installed tonight. I would think that with such a sturdy and flex-free mount that the whole plane will shake uniformly-- not just the cowl by itself. We'll see how it does when I run the engine for testing purposes.

Hopefully my 1/8" gap will work out. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-15-2003, 04:49 PM
Spaceclam

i have the same problem. my cowl is a bit out of shape, and i have a bit of spacing between spinner and cowl. in order to get the front of the cowl lined up with the spinner, the cowl points a bit to the left, so on one side of the spinner i have 1/4 clearance and on the other side i have 1/8. the cowl is centered on the plane. how can i fix this?