Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Zip ties on fuel lines?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Zip ties on fuel lines?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 05:58 PM
ceecrb1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zip ties on fuel lines?

My experience is more with electrics and gliders.. i have a few IC planes but always wondered..

Is it best to just pass the silicon tube onto the nipples of engine/fuel tank/filler/exhaust..... or should I secure it with a zip tie?
Old 12-09-2009, 06:07 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Zip ties on fuel lines?

With good quality fuel line, you generally don't need zip ties or any sort of clamp. If I have line though that just doesn't feel secure when I push it on though then I may use a zip tie as added insurance.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:09 PM
firstplaceaviator
My Feedback: (27)

Unless you are running a pumped engine, there is no need to zip tie your fuel lines. I had a YS develop enough pressure to blow the fuel lines off of the fuel tank. After securing them with Zip ties, it never happened again.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:31 PM
carrellh

Since tank end of the lines is often inside the fuselage I like to add a bit of insurance. What I do is simple and costs almost nothing. In fact, it puts scraps of fuel line to use that would have been trashed. Is it necessary? Probably not.

One thing I have noticed with "some" four stroke engines is a tendency to blow the pressure line off of the muffler fitting. My OS 70 Surpass is one that does it. The "clamp" in the drawing stopped it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91147.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	1330813  
Old 12-09-2009, 09:09 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: carrellh

Since tank end of the lines is often inside the fuselage I like to add a bit of insurance. What I do is simple and costs almost nothing. In fact, it puts scraps of fuel line to use that would have been trashed. Is it necessary? Probably not.

One thing I have noticed with ''some'' four stroke engines is a tendency to blow the pressure line off of the muffler fitting. My OS 70 Surpass is one that does it. The ''clamp'' in the drawing stopped it.
Because I love my YS engines and pumpers I have gotten into the habbit of doing sort of what Carrs photo is showing but I just use one piece of fuel line over the other to do it. Ends up looking like what Carr posted. Is it really needed?????????? I just got into the habit and do it. I only have one plane that I have to remove the lines to fuel up and it isn't done to that plane.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:47 AM
The Ghost

I use Dubro Fuel Line Barbs. Just solder to the brass or copper tubing and no way will the fuel tube come off untill you want it to.

Cheers
Old 12-10-2009, 08:43 AM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Zip Ties on fuel lines is not a good practice. The zip tie pinches on the fuel line all around except under the lock end. At that location the fuel line bunches up and lifts away from the tubing. There, is a potential leak source. A better method, if you feel you need more security, is to use safety wire. Wrap the wire around two times and twist it tight. I like .015 to .020" diameter wire. The same goes for air lines.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:32 AM
Lnewqban

I have used wire before and the silicone tube has broken right where the wire wrap has been.

Then, I started using the method described by carrellh above, having zero problems.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:23 PM
deadstickdan
My Feedback: (3)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also started using the DuBro fuel barbs. Simple to install and no need for any clips or ties. Here's the info on them:

http://www.shopatron.com/home/search...161.5177.0.0.0

Dan
Old 12-10-2009, 02:56 PM
Square Nozzle

The silicone tube probably failed because you put it on like your were trying to strangle a cat. The double wrap provides more surface area also so you aren't putting stress in one thin area. Fuel barbs are also a good idea. Simple and positive and with pressure in the system a double wrap of wire behind the barb gives you double protection.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:11 PM
deadstickdan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another thing that can make a bit of a difference is the fuel line you are using. I have used several different brands and most seem to have more slip on the copper/brass tube than what I like. I really liked Prather fuel tubing. It was pinkish in color and held a good grip on copper/brass tubing. Between this fuel tubing and the brass barbs, no more problems! I was bummed when the Prather brand went away until I found who has it available now. I purchased a full spool of it an am happy, happy, happy.

Here is where to get the good stuff: http://hyperprod.bizhosting.com/prather_fuel_tube.html

Dan
Old 12-10-2009, 04:34 PM
BamaFlyBoy

I use these clips and they work well for me. I always use them inside the fuse when using an ultra-fueler. I hate thinking about what would happend if a fuel line slipped off of the ultra-fueler while filling up the tank. [:@]

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFRM0&P=7
Old 12-10-2009, 07:22 PM
freakingfast

Most of the time I use medium size fuel line on my 40 to 90 size planes and I cut a collar/clamp of large size fuel line to slip over. If I try to stretch the same size line over itself I find the clamp may break later on. When ever you cut fuel line, use a sharp blade, not scissors as the pinching action can cause the hose to split in time.

On the tubes that go through the stopper, I use course sandpaper in a twisting motion on the out side surface on each end to provide texture for the hose to grip on. I also use the collars on the hoses inside the tank and on the clunk because the hoses tend to soften and get slippery when totally immersed in fuel and can slide off. On less thing to go wrong or eliminate.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:18 AM
Jazzy

Square Nozzle... Strangle a cat - That had me laughing after a long day at work! Thanks

Been using Carrell's method for years. Works great and, well, its FREE!

Still LMAO!
Old 12-12-2009, 05:58 PM
GREG DOE

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I don't always tie my tubing, but when I do, I use button hole thread. Two wraps and a square not. The double tubing method is a good fix, and does the job in most situations. Greg
Old 12-13-2009, 12:24 PM
Square Nozzle

Jazzy, I'm glad I brightened your day. Enjoy your lake effect snow and have a wonderful Christmas.