Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Want a new 2.4 transmitter...Help me decide!!

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Want a new 2.4 transmitter...Help me decide!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 01:56 PM
Woody218
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want a new 2.4 transmitter...Help me decide!!

It's time for a new 2.4 transmitter. I fly helis, gas, glow and electric fixed wing. I have a mix of most manufacturer's equipment, Futaba, Airtronics, and Spektrum. I have thought long and hard about it, and have come down to two choices - a JR X9303, or the Airtronics SD-10G. I have flown Airtronics radios for many years, and have had zero problems with any of their equipment. The RD6000 Super that I fly foamies and profiles with is by far the easiest radio to program I have used.

I have a DX7, and like the idea of using a JR 2.4 radio with the Spektrum receivers I have, which are numerous. On the down side, I have heard and seen multiple complaints about Spektrum receivers "browning out" and taking seconds to recover.

On the other hand, the SD-10G is ultra-programmable, with much faster response than just about any other system out there. Right now I could buy a new in box Airtronics SD-10G with two 10 channel receivers for $499. I also like the fact that Airtronics is a true frequency hopping radio, whereas JR/Spektrum finds two clear frequencies and locks onto those.

Decisions, decisions...
Old 12-12-2009, 02:05 PM
carrellh

Default RE: Want a new 2.4 transmitter...Help me decide!!

From what you wrote, you really want the Airtronics.
The ONLY reason to consider the JR is your investment in Spektrum.
Selling the existing Spektrum stuff and replacing it with Airtronics would cost you some money, but, Spektrum is very popular. Heck, if you're willing to deal with selling on ebay, you could potentially make money if you can make it appear "rare" or "hard to find."
Old 12-12-2009, 02:05 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I just made the same decision - was between the JR 9303 and the Airtronics radio. The Atx really seems limitless with the programming - all switches are 3 position, so you can have 5 flight modes AND all triple rates on one switch (I like that part). Atx stuff is less expensive, so getting more receivers is easier.

I like how you can sync up to the computer and store and update software/firmware.

I only had one Airtronics receiver though (no JR/Spektrum) so that wasn't much of a factor for me

I thought about this long and hard, and waited for some guys in the competition world to start using the radio before I made my final decision - EVERYONE loves it!
Old 12-12-2009, 02:12 PM
aerofly0610

Ive had Hitec and JR in the past. My current TX is the Airtronics RDS8000. I'm so impressed with it that Ill upgrade to the SD-10G when I out grow my 8 channel.
Old 12-12-2009, 02:54 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had two brand new Spektrum receivers bad right out of the box. Horizon did take care of it immediately with zero hassle but it just scared me. I also got tired of trying to find space to mount the satellite receiver. After some thought, I sold my DX-7 and all my Spektrum receivers.

I ended up buying a Futaba 8FGA. So far it has been great and programming various wing typs and mixes is a breeze compared to the Spektrum. The transmitter is more compact and laid out better than the DX-7 and some other radios in my opinion too. I especially like the way the antenna is mounted compared to the Spektrum; it's not on this big, plastic vertical post that gets cracked and broken.

It sounds like the Airtronics is well liked though so, if your thinking of going that route, it'll likely work out great.
Old 12-12-2009, 02:56 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: carrellh
Spektrum is very popular. Heck, if you're willing to deal with selling on ebay, you could potentially make money if you can make it appear ''rare'' or ''hard to find.''
All my Spektrum stuff sold almost immediately either here on RCU or on the auction site. The prices were good too. Definitely won't have a problem unloading any of it.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:44 PM
Woody218
My Feedback: (24)

My mind is made up...the Airtronics SD-10G it is!!