Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Nexstar EP power Change

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Nexstar EP power Change

Old 12-20-2009, 09:05 PM
[email protected]

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nexstar EP power Change

I have a Nexstar EP and after solo I have had nothing but problems keeping it in the air. I have access to a 4 Stroke 82 Sato or A FA 100 Sato. Will the plane take that big of an engin? Which one should I use? Is the airframe strong enough? Is this the wrong direction to go? Any guidance would be appreciated. When the Nexstar was new it flew well, but I can't seem to rely on the NMH battery system that is in it now.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:05 AM
timcat26

Default RE: Nexstar EP power Change

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

I have a Nexstar EP and after solo I have had nothing but problems keeping it in the air. I have access to a 4 Stroke 82 Sato or A FA 100 Sato. Will the plane take that big of an engin? Which one should I use? Is the airframe strong enough? Is this the wrong direction to go? Any guidance would be appreciated. When the Nexstar was new it flew well, but I can't seem to rely on the NMH battery system that is in it now.
Putting an 82-100 Saito on this plane would not be my first choice of engines for the Nexstar, although it would be interesting to watch it fly with this much power if you could get the plane balanced. The enginesyou're talking aboutare getting towardsappropriatefor a Sig Kadet Senior sized plane.

A 46 OS or similar 2 stroke (stock forthe Nitro version)isplenty ofpower of this plane should you decide to go Glow. That said, I'd take a look at fixing what's wrong with your existing system. It sounds like this is your first plane and the conversion would be difficult if this is the case.

It sounds like your batteries or the ESC/BEC are the problem. This is with the limited info provided. What's the plane doing, specifically, that is giving you so many problems keeping it flying? A little more info would be helpful.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:26 PM
[email protected]

Hi,
Thank you for the response. I like your thinking. The problems I am having are: The plane went down and was out in the weather for 9 days. I bought another ESC 100 mAH to make sure it didn't catch fire as one of my previous ones did. I also replaced one servo as it did not respond. The motor seemed to work fine, but I didn't know how to check it out. The one flight that I did with the new servo and the new ESC it bearly got off the ground and I got it back down with out any damage. It could be a confidance/ equipment problem, but I thought a new power source might be the answer. When I bought the plane I had to decide which batteries quickley, and I hadn't done my homework. I chose NMH 3600,s it takes two and they were less costly than LIPO's. Everything I read made me very cauthious of LIPOand potential fires. I bought a good charger, 2 in fact and a tester that told me the output of each battery. Because this is my first plane and very few people fly electric at our field I have had little or no input, thus I thought glow is the answer. I have also look for books or publications( for novices) that could steer me in the right direction on what to do. I appreciate any advice you can share as I like the plane, but as it sits in my basement it makes me feel bad and I would never sell it to anyone else knowing that its wrong in some way.
Mike
Old 12-21-2009, 02:13 PM
TedMo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The engines you mention are definitly much too big for a Nexstar. Besides the plane is meant for electric power. suggest you find a club in your area to go to for help.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:13 AM
timcat26

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

Hi,
Thank you for the response. I like your thinking. The problems I am having are: The plane went down and was out in the weather for 9 days. I bought another ESC 100 mAH to make sure it didn't catch fire as one of my previous ones did. I also replaced one servo as it did not respond. The motor seemed to work fine, but I didn't know how to check it out. The one flight that I did with the new servo and the new ESC it bearly got off the ground and I got it back down with out any damage. It could be a confidance/ equipment problem, but I thought a new power source might be the answer. When I bought the plane I had to decide which batteries quickley, and I hadn't done my homework. I chose NMH 3600,s it takes two and they were less costly than LIPO's. Everything I read made me very cauthious of LIPOand potential fires. I bought a good charger, 2 in fact and a tester that told me the output of each battery. Because this is my first plane and very few people fly electric at our field I have had little or no input, thus I thought glow is the answer. I have also look for books or publications( for novices) that could steer me in the right direction on what to do. I appreciate any advice you can share as I like the plane, but as it sits in my basement it makes me feel bad and I would never sell it to anyone else knowing that its wrong in some way.
Mike
As far as I can tell, the plane was left out after a crash in possibly inclement weather for the 9 days you mentioned. Is this correct?

If so, I would not be at all surprised to hear that all of the electronic components of the plane were toast, never mind the fuselage and wing bending and warping.